NHL News and Notes from Monday, January 31st, 2022
- The Washington Capitals recalled defenseman Lucas Johansen from Hershey.
- The Capitals would then assign Johansen to the Taxi Squad.
- The New Jersey Devils announced that head coach Lindy Ruff will miss the team’s next two games.
- Ruff’s father Leeson passed away, and Ruff will be taking a leave of absence to tend to his family.
- The NHL announced that Colorado Avalanche forward Nazem Kadri earned First Star of the Week honors.
- Frederik Andersen (CAR) and Johnny Gaudreau (CAL) would round out the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Kadri Takes Top Honors
- The Minnesota Wild announced they have signed forward Jordan Greenway to a three year contract extension.
- The contract is worth $9 million dollars that’ll carry an AAV of $3 million per season.
- The Chicago Blackhawks named Marian Hossa, Eddie Olczyk, and Patrick Sharp as advisors to assist in the Blackhawks search in finding their next general manager.
- Florida Panthers v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus, the Panthers visit the Blue Jackets and in the first, Mason Marchment scores his seventh of the year to give Florida the 1-0 lead and then Sam Reinhart nets his 13th of the year to give the Cats the 2-0 lead. Columbus gets on the board when Gustav Nyqvist gets his 12th of the year but then Aleksander Barkov gets his 21st of the year on a power play opportunity to make it a 3-1 Florida lead. The Panthers then take the three goal lead when Reinhart gets his second goal of the night but then the Blue Jackets cut the lead to two when Patrik Laine nets his ninth of the year. In the second, Reinhart completes the hat trick to make it a 5-2 Florida lead but the Columbus cuts the lead to two again when Emil Bemstrom nets his second of the year. Columbus comes within a goal when Patrik Laine nets his second of the game but then Florida gets a pair of goals when Owen Tippett nets his sixth of the year and MacKenzie Weegar gets his fourth of the year to make it a 7-4 Panthers lead. Florida seals the win in the third when Mason Marchment scores his second of the night as the Panthers double up the Blue Jackets with an 8-4 win.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Chicago Blackhawks – 730p ET
- In the Windy City, the Canucks drop in to take on the Blackhawks. In the first period, Vancouver takes the 1-0 lead when Alex Chiasson scores his fifth of the year. In the second, Brock Boeser goes to score his 12th of the year to give the Canucks the 2-0 lead. In the third, Connor Murphy gets the ‘Hawks on the board when he nets his fourth of the year but then the Canucks seal the win after Luke Schenn nets his second of the year to give Vancouver the 3-1 win over Chicago.
- New Jersey Devils v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 730p ET
- In Toronto, the Maple Leafs look to knock the Devil horns off and escape with a win. In the first, Pavel Zacha gives New Jersey the 1-0 lead with his 11th goal of the year and then Jesper Boqvist makes it a 2-0 Devils lead when he scores his second of the year. Toronto gets on the board when Auston Matthews scores his 26th but the Devils respond when Andreas Johnsson nets his 11th of the year to make it a 3-1 New Jersey lead. Auston Matthews then scores his second of the game to bring the Maple Leafs within a goal. In the second, Nathan Bastian scores his ninth of the year as New Jersey takes the 4-2 lead. In the third, Jason Spezza nets his eighth of the year to bring the Leafs within a goal once again and then Mitchell Marner scores his 12th of the year to tie the contest 4-4. Toronto then takes the 5-4 lead when Ilya Mikheyev scores a shorthanded goal, his seventh of the year. With 22 seconds left in the contest. Auston Matthews completes the hat trick as the Maple Leafs shock the Devils scoring four unanswered goals in the third and escape with the 6-4 win.
- Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Devils Blow It, Fall To Maple Leafs
- Edmonton Oilers v. Ottawa Senators – 730p ET
- In Ottawa, the Oilers visit Canada’s capital to take on the Senators for the final time on the season. In the first, Ottawa strikes first when Thomas Chabot nets his third of the year but then Edmonton ties it up when Connor McDavid scores his 22nd of the year. In the second, Ottawa takes the 2-1 lead when Nick Paul scores his eighth of the year on an extra man advantage. In the third, Edmonton ties it up 2-2 when Darnell Nurse scores his fourth of the year. In overtime, Tim Stützle scores his eighth of the year as the Sens get the 3-2 win over the Oilers.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Detroit Red Wings – 730p ET
- In the Motor City, the Ducks visit the Red Wings for their lone trip to Detroit on the year. in the first, Detroit takes the 1-0 lead when Dylan Larkin strikes for his 23rd on the year. In the second, the Ducks tie it up when Rickard Rakell scores his 10th of the year. In overtime, Jordan Oesterle scores his first of the year as the Red Wings down the Ducks 2-1.
- SEA v. BOS – 7p ET
- SJ v. TB – 7p ET
- TOR v. NJ – 7p ET
- FLA v. NYR – 7p ET
- WIN v. PHI – 7p ET
- WAS v. PIT – 7p ET
- OTT v. NYI – 730p ET
- VAN v. NAS – 8p ET
- CAL v. DAL – 830p ET
- ARI v. COL – 9p ET
- BUF v. VGK – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Price Speaks and Is ‘The Michigan’ Boring (SportsNet)