NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, November 2nd, 2021
- The NHL has announced that Moritz Seider of the Detroit Red Wings as the October Rookie of the Month.
- The German defender recorded eight assists in nine games played to earn the top honor.
- NHL Rookie of the Month – Mo Assists His Way to the Top
- The NHL would announce the Three Stars of the Month for October with Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin taking top honors.
- Connor McDavid (EDM) and Frederik Andersen (CAR) would round out the rest of the Three Stars for October.
- NHL 3 Stars of the Month – Ovi Powers thru October
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would play host to the Vegas Golden Knights, and in the first period Mitch Marner would score for the Leafs to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Auston Matthews would score a pair of goals to grow the Leafs lead to three, and then William Nylander would net his fourth of the season to give the Maple Leafs the 4-0 victory over the Golden Knights.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would take on the Original Six rival Detroit Red Wings. In the first period Nick Suzuki and Josh Anderson would score to give the Habs the 2-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Brendan Gallagher would score to give the Canadiens the 3-0 victory over the Red Wings.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would host Arizona Coyotes, and after a scoreless forty minutes of action the Flyers would finally strike as Sean Couturier, Scott Laughton, and Claude Giroux would all score to give the Flyers the 3-0 victory over the Coyotes. Carter Hart would stop all 29 shots faced to earn the shut out.
- Ottawa Senators v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild would take on the Ottawa Senators, and in the first period Nick Paul would score for the Sens, but goals from Marcus Foligno, Calen Addison, and Nico Sturm would give the Wild the 3-1 lead. In the second period Foligno would net his second of the game, but goals from Drake Batherson, Josh Norris, and Chris Tierney would tie the game at four for the Sens. After a scoreless third period Kirill Kaprizov would net his first of the season to give the Wild the 5-4 victory over the Senators.
- Dallas Stars v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Dallas Stars would come to town to take on the Jets, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Paul Stastny and Jamie Benn would score for their respective teams. In the second period Josh Morrissey and Pierre-Luc Dubois would both score on the powerplay to give the Jets the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Jason Robertson and John Klingberg would strike to tie the game at three for the Stars and force overtime. After a scoreless five minutes of overtime it would be Mark Scheifele with the winner in the shootout to give the Jets the 4-3 victory over the Stars.
- Nashville Predators v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would host the Nashville Predators and in the first period Matthew Tkachuk would score for the Flames, but goals from Luke Kunin and Filip Forsberg would give the Preds the 2-1 lead. Then after a scoreless second period, Oliver Kylington would score for the Flames to tie the game at two. In the overtime session, Matt Duchene scores the game winner for Nashville as they take the 3-2 win over the Calgary Flames.
- New York Rangers v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver the Canucks would take on the New York Rangers, and after a scoreless first period Mika Zibanejad would score on the powerplay to give the Rangers the 1-0 lead. Artemi Panarin then scores a power play goal of his own to give the Rangers the 2-0 lead. In the third, J.T. Miller gets the Canucks on the board with his second goal of the season. Vancouver ties the game with a goal by Vasily Podkolzin, his second of the season. In the overtime session, J.T. Miller scores his second of the game to give Vancouver the 3-2 win over the Rangers.
- New Jersey Devils v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim the Ducks would host the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Ryan Getzlaf would score on the powerplay to give the Ducks the 1-0 lead. In the second period, Troy Terry scores a power play goal of his own to give the Ducks the 2-0 lead. As the contest moves to the third period, Anaheim makes it a 3-0 lead with Terry’s second goal of the game and Anaheim seals the win after Isac Lundestrom’s second of the year to give the Ducks the 4-0 win over the New Jersey Devils.
- Buffalo Sabres v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose the Buffalo Sabres would take on the Sharks, and in the first period Jonathan Dahlen would strike for the Sharks, but Jeff Skinner would score to tie the game at one for the Sabres. However, Ryan Merkley would score to give the Sharks the one goal lead. In the second, Tomas Hertl scores his fourth of the year to give San Jose the two goal lead. Drake Caggiula scores his second on the year to bring the Sabres within a goal. In the third, Mario Ferraro scores his first of the year to make it a 4-2 San Jose lead and Hertl scores his second of the game to give the Sharks the 5-2 lead. Skinner scores his second of the contest but San Jose gets the 5-3 win over the Buffalo Sabres.
- NAS v. EDM – 830p ET
- CAR v. CHI – 830p ET
- CLB v. COL – 9p ET
- STL v. LA – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- On the latest 32 Thoughts Podcast Elliotte and Marek discuss the Monday press conference with Gary Bettman and Bill Daly. (SportsNet)
- The Insiders discuss the Kevin Cheveldayoff press conference, and more from the Kyle Beach fallout. (TSN)
- Rick Westhead talks about the latest on the Kyle Beach case with the Chicago Blackhawks. (TSN)
- Westhead also talks about the latest in the lawsuit against the Pittsburgh Penguins ownership. (TSN)