NHL News and Notes from Monday, May 24th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety suspended Edmonton Oilers forward Josh Archibald.
- Archibald was suspended for one game for clipping defenseman Logan Stanley of the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday night.
- Archibald will miss Game 4 on Monday night.
- New York Islanders v. Pittsburgh Penguins – Game 5 – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh both the Penguins and the New York Islanders look to take game five to put themselves in position to potentially move on to the next round with a game six win. In the first period Evgeni Malkin would strike for the Pens, but Anthony Beauvillier would score to tie the game at one for the Isles. In the second period Bryan Rust would score for the Pens, but in the third period Jordan Eberle would strike to tie the game at two and send the game to overtime. Then 51 seconds into double overtime it would be Josh Bailey with his third of the Playoffs to give the Islanders the 3-2 victory and 3-2 series lead over the Penguins.
- Shaggy’s TXHT Recap – Bailey Lifts Isles over Pens in Double OT
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Montreal Canadiens – Game 3 – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs would do battle in game three, and after a scoreless first period William Nylander would score to give the Leafs the 1-0 lead. However, later in the period Nick Suzuki would score to tie the game for the Habs, but Morgan Reilly would score minutes later to give the Leafs the 2-1 win and 2-1 series lead.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Florida Panthers – Game 5 – 8p ET
- For game five the Florida Panthers would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning with their season on the line. In the first period Ross Colton would score for the Lightning to take the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period MacKenzie Weegar and Mason Marchment would strike to give the Panthers the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Patric Honqvist would strike while on the powerplay, and Frank Vatrano would score with the empty netter to give the Panthers the 4-1 victory and force a game six in Tampa Bay.
- Aryan’s TXHT Recap – Panthers Force Game 6 with 4 Goal Effort
- Edmonton Oilers v. Winnipeg Jets – Game 3 – 945p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets look to take game four against the Edmonton Oilers, and in the first period Mark Scheifele would strike on the powerplay for the Jets, but Connor McDavid would score a little over a minute later to tie the game at one for the Oilers. However, Mason Appleton would strike to retake the lead for the Jets. In the second, Edmonton ties the game once again when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins nets his first goal followed by Edmonton taking the 3-2 lead when Alex Chiasson scores. In the third, Scheifele scores his second of the game. At 6:52 in the third OT, Kyle Connor scores his second goal of the postseason to clinch the four game sweep of the Edmonton Oilers.
- Minnesota Wild v. Vegas Golden Knights – Game 5 – 1030p ET
- In Vegas, the Golden Knights look to close out the series with a win over Minnesota. In the first, Vegas gets on the board when Mark Stone scores his fourth in the playoffs. Minnesota then responds with a trio of goals scored by Kirill Kaprizov, Zach Parise, and Jordan Greenway, all their first in the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs. In the second, Alec Martinez brings Vegas within a goal with a PPG. In the third, Nico Strum scores late to give the Wild the 4-2 win over the Vegas Golden Knights.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Wild Double Up Vegas to Force Game 6
- TOR v. MON – Game 4 – 730p ET
- NAS v. CAR – Game 5 – 8p ET