NHL News and Notes from Thursday, April 13th, 2023
- The Chicago Blackhawks announced that they will not be re-signing forward and captain Jonathan Toews after the season is over.
- The Blackhawks will honor Toews during Thursday night’s game which will also be his last game for the team.
- The PHF announced that Boston Pride defender Lauren Kelly has been named the recipient for the 2023 Denna Laing Award.
- The Colorado Avalanche announced that C Gabriel Landeskog will not play in the 2023 Stanley Cup playoffs
- Landeskog has missed the entire 2022-23 season due to a knee injury
- The Minnesota Wild announced that they have come to terms on an extension with F Frederick Gaudreau
- The extension is for five years with an AAV of $2.1 million through the 2027-28 season
- Boston Bruins v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal, the Canadiens host the Bruins in an Original Six matchup and in the first Lucas Condotta nets his frst career NHL goal for Montreal but then Trent Frederic’s 17th ties it for Boston. Then, Jake DeBrusk’s 27th puts Boston up 2-1. In the second, Nick Suzuki’s 26th ties it up for the Habs and then Montreal re-takes the lead with Michael Pezzetta’s seventh of the year. Then, Boston ties it up when Dmitry Orlov scores his seventh. In the third, Montreal re-takes the lead once more when Justin Barron nets his fourth of the year but then the B’s tie it up once more when Charlie Coyle nets his 16th of the year. Then, David Pastrnak’s 61st of the year gives the Bruins the 5-4 win over the Canadiens.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In South Florida, the Panthers host the Hurricanes and in the first Carolina takes the 1-0 lead when Brent Burns scores his 17th. In the second, Carolina makes it a 2-0 lead when Jesperi Kotkaniemi nets his 18th of the year. In the third, Aleksander Barkov nets his 23rd to get the Panthers on the board and then Ryan Lomberg ties it up with his 12th of the year. Then, the Canes get a trio of goals when Brent Burns nets his second of the night, Jesper Fast scores his 10th of the year, and then Shayne Gostisbehere scores his 13th. Anthony Duclair then scores his second of the year to bring Florida within two and then Carter Verhaeghe’s 42nd puts the Panthers within a goal. Then, Sebastian Aho scores his 36th of the year as the Hurricanes get the 6-4 win over the Panthers.
- With the win by the Hurricanes, they would go on to win the Metropolitan Division. Carolina will face off against the New York Islanders in the First Round of the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa, the Lightning host the Red Wings and in the first Alex Killorn nets his 27th to give Tampa Bay the 1-0. In the third, Brandon Hagel scores his 30th to give the Bolts the 2-0 lead and then Brayden Point nets a pair to put Tampa up 4-0. Then, Michael Eyssimont’s fifth of the year gives the Lightning the 5-0 shutout victory over the Red Wings.
- New Jersey Devils v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In the Nation’s Capital, the Capitals host the Devils and in the first Washington gets a trio of goals when Joe Snively scores his second, Rasmus Sandin scores his seventh, and Craig Smith scores his ninth. Then, Erik Haula scores his 13th to put Boston on the board. In the second, Tom Wilson nets his 13th to give the Caps the 4-1 lead but then Miles Wood scores his 13th to bring the Devs within two. In the third, Haula scores his second to bring New Jersey within a goal and then Dougie Hamilton’s 22nd of the year ties the game for the Devils. In overtime, Luke Hughes scores his first career NHL goal as the Devils get the 5-4 win over the Capitals.
- Ottawa Senators v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Western New York, the Sabres would host the Senators and after a scoreless first Buffalo would take the 1-0 lead when Henri Jokiharju scores his third and then the Sabres would take the 2-0 lead with Victor Olofsson’s 27th of the year. Ottawa then gets on the board when Tim Stützle scores his 39th and then the Sens tie the game when Dylan Gambrell nets his fourth of the year. The Senators then take the lead when Claude Giroux scores his 35th of the year. In the third, Buffalo ties the game with Tage Thompson’s 47th of the year. In overtime, Casey Mittelstadt scores his 14th as the Sabres get the 4-3 win over the Senators.
- This would be the final game for Buffalo goaltender Craig Anderson
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus, the Blue Jackets host the Penguins and in the first Pittsburgh takes the 1-0 lead when Kris Letang scores his 12th of the year. In the second, Columbus ties the game when Andrew Peeke nets his sixth of the year. In the third, Pittsburgh re-takes the lead when Jake Guentzel scores his 36th but then Columbus ties it up once more when Emil Bemstrom nets his seventh of the year. In overtime, Johnny Gaudreau nets his 20th of the year as the Blue Jackets get the 3-2 win over the Penguins.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- In New York City, the Rangers host the Maple Leafs in another Original Six matchup and after a scoreless first, Kaapo Kakko nets his 18th to put New York up 1-0. In the third, Toronto ties it up when Timothy Lilegren scores his sixth but then New York re-takes the lead with Artemi Panarin nets his 29th. Toronto then ties it up when William Nylander scores his 40th and then Noel Acciari scores his 14th as the Maple Leafs get the 3-2 win over the Rangers.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Colorado Avalanche – 8p ET
- In the Mile High City, the Avalanche welcome the Jets back to Colorado and in the first Denis Malgin’s 13th of the year puts the Avalanche up 1-0. In the second, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby scores his sixth and then Kevin Stenlund’s sixth of the year gives the Jets the 2-1 lead. Then, Mikko Rantanen’s 55th of the year ties the game for Colorado. In the third, Evan Rodrigues’ 16th of the year gives Colorado the 3-2 lead and then Artturi Lehkonen’s 21st gives the Avalanche the 4-2 win over the Jets.
- Minnesota Wild v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Music City, the Predators welcome the Wild and in the first Nashville takes the 1-0 lead when Mark Jankowski nets his seventh and then Minnesota ties it up when Frederick Gaudreau nets his 18th. Then, Kiefer Sherwood’s fifth of the year gives Nashville the 2-1 lead. In the second, Gaudreau scores his second of the game to tie the game up for Nashville. In the third, Yakov Trenin’s 12th of the year puts Nashville up 3-2 but then Nic Petan nets his first of the year to tie the game for Minnesota. In overtime, Juuso Parssinen’s sixth of the year gives the Predators the 4-3 win over the Wild.
- St. Louis Blues v. Dallas Stars – 8p ET
- In Dallas, the Stars welcome the Blues and after a scoreless first and second, Wyatt Johnston’s 24th of the year gives Dallas the lone goal of the contest as the Stars get the 1-0 win over the Blues.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In Chicago, the Blackhawks host the Flyers and in the first Philadelphia gets on the board with a pair of goals from Travis Konecny but then Chicago nets a pair of goals when Jujhar Khaira nets his sixth and then Andres Bjork scores his second. In the second, the Flyers net a pair of goals when Owen Tippett scores his 27th and then Noah Cates scores his 13th. Then, Jonathan Toews scores his 15th to bring the Blackhawks within a goal. In the third, Andreas Athanasiou’s 20th ties the game for Chicago. In overtime, Ivan Provorov’s sixth of the year gives the Flyers the 5-4 win over the Blackhawks.
- As noted above in the News portion of this post, this would be the final game as a Chicago Blackhawk for C Jonathan Toews.
- San Jose Sharks v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton, the Oilers take on the Sharks and in the first Mattias Janmark nets his ninth and then Leon Draisaitl nets his 52nd to put Edmonton up 2-0. Noah Gregor’s 10th then puts the Sharks on the board. In the second, the Oilers notch a pair when Evan Bouchard’s eighth and then Mattias Janmark nets his second of the night to put Edmonton up by three. Then Steven Lorentz nets his 10th of the year to bring the Sharks within two. In the third, Evander Knae scores his 16th as the Oilers get the 5-2 win over the Sharks.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Southern California, the Ducks welcome their crosstown rival Kings and in the first Anaheim takes the 1-0 lead when Troy Terry scores his 23rd but then the Kings tie it up with Anze Kopitar’s 28th. In the second, Adrian Kempe nets his 39th and then Trevor Moore scores his 10th as Los Angeles takes the 3-1 lead. In the third, Max Jones’ ninth of the year brings the Ducks within a goal but then Adrian Kempe’s second of the night puts the Kings back up two. Then, Trevor Zegras scores his 23rd to bring Anaheim within a goal once more but then Adrian Kempe completes the hat trick as the Kings get the 5-3 win over the Ducks.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Arizona Coyotes – 10p ET
- In the Desert, the Coyotes host the Canucks and in the first Elias Pettersson scores his 39th to put Vancouver up 1-0 but then Liam O’Brien scores his second to tie the game for Arizona. Connor Garland then scores his 15th to put Vancouver up 2-1 and then J.T. Miller scores his 32nd to put the Canucks up two. Conor Garland then nets his second of the game as Vancouver makes it a 4-1 lead but then Travis Boyd scores his 15th to bring the Coyotes within two. In the second, Liam O’Brien scores his second of the game to bring Arizona within a goal. In the third, Nick Schmaltz strikes with his 22nd to tie the game for the Coyotes. In overtime, Conor Garland completes the hat trick as the Canucks get the 5-4 win over the Coyotes.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Seattle Kraken – 1030p ET
- In the Emerald City, the Kraken host the Golden Knights and in the first Vegas takes the 1-0 lead when Reilly Smith nets his 26th but then Seattle ties the game when Jaden Schwartz scores his 21st. In the second, Alec Martinez scores third to put Vegas up 2-1. In the third, Chandler Stephenson scores his 16th as the Golden Knights down the Kraken 3-1.
- With the win by the Golden Knights, Vegas would be crowned the Pacific Division Champions
- BUF v. CLB – 730p ET
- COL v. NAS – 8p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- What Leafs’ goalie chaos reveals about plans with Knies (Chris Johnston)
- What does the future look like for Jonathan Toews? (Insider Trading)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.