NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, April 12th, 2023
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has announced that they have fined Winnipeg Jets defenseman Neal Pionk.
- Pionk was fined $5,000 for cross checking Minnesota Wild forward Marcus Johansson on Tuesday night.
- The fine is the maximum allowed per the CBA.
- DoPS also suspended Wild forward Ryan Hartman.
- Hartman was suspended for one gam for interference against Jets forward Nikolaj Ehlers on Tuesday night.
- Hartman will forfeit $9,189.19 based on his average annual salary per the terms of the CBA.
- With their 4-2 victory over Montreal, the New York Islanders would clinch the final wild card spot in the East and give us our 16 teams for the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- Montreal Canadiens v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- On Long Island the New York Islanders would look to clinch the final berth into the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs as they faceoff with the Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period Rem Pitlick would score for the Habs, but goals from Brock Nelson and Hudson Fasching would give the Isles the 2-1 lead. In the second period Nelson would net his second of the game for the Isles, but Nick Suzuki would strike while shorthanded to keep the Habs in the game and behind by only one. Then in the third period Anders Lee would score to give the Islanders the 4-2 victory over the Canadiens and clinch the final spot into the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- Dallas Stars v. St. Louis Blues – 730p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would play host to the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Wyatt Johnston and Joe Pavelski would score for the Stars, but Jakub Vrana and Robert Thomas would score for the Blues as this game would be tied at two at the end of twenty minutes. In the second period Roope Hintz and Tyler Seguin would score and Johnston would net his second of the game to give the Stars the 5-2 lead. Then in the third period the Stars would shut down the Blues to take the 5-2 victory.
- San Jose Sharks v. Calgary Flames – 10p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would go to battle with the San Jose Sharks, and in the first period Noah Gregor would score to give the Sharks the 1-0 lead. In the second period Nikita Zadorov would score to tie the game at one for the Flames. Then in the third period Zadorov would score two more goals to complete the natural hat trick and give the Flames the 3-1 victory over the Sharks to conclude their season.
- BOS v. MON – 7p ET
- CAR v. FLA – 7p ET
- DET v. TB – 7p ET
- NJ v. WAS – 7p ET
- OTT v. BUF – 7p ET
- PIT v. CLB – 7p ET
- TOR v. NYR – 7p ET
- WIN v. COL – 8p ET
- MIN v. NAS – 8p ET
- STL v. DAL – 8p ET
- PHI v. CHI – 830p ET
- SJ v. EDM – 9p ET
- LA v. ANA – 10p ET
- VAN v. ARI – 10p ET
- VGK v. SEA – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Maple Leafs’ goalie drama gives young netminders opportunity of a lifetime (The Athletic – $)
- ‘It’s horseshit. It’s not fantasy hockey.’ The ATO goalie trend is an insult to players on the NHL bubble (Daily Faceoff)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Rod Brind’Amour (SportsNet)
- Days After Capitals’ Elimination, Penguins Miss Playoffs For First Time Since Ovechkin & Crosby’s Rookie Year (The Hockey News)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.