NHL News and Notes from Friday, February 10th, 2023
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have fined Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Ian Cole.
- Cole was fined $5,000 for kneeing Colorado Avalanche forward Andrew Cogliano on Thursday night.
- The fine is the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- The Los Angeles Kings announced that they have re-signed netminder Pheonix Copley.
- Copley would sign a one year deal with an AAV of $1.5 million.
- Seattle Kraken v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden after a blockbuster trade the New York Rangers would play host to the Seattle Kraken, and in the first period Vladimir Tarasenko would score his first goal as a Ranger plus goals from Kaapo Kakko and Vincent Trocheck would give the Rangers the 3-0 lead. In the second period Jacob Trouba would score to grow the Rangers lead to four, but Oliver Bjorkstrand would net his tenth of the season to get the Kraken on the board. Then in the third period Mika Zibanejad would score to give the Rangers the four goal lead, but Jared McCann and Brandon Tanev would score to get the Kraken back within two. However, Ryan Lindgren would score to give the Rangers the 6-3 victory over the Kraken.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would play host to the Toronto Maple Leafs, and in the first period John Tavares would score to give the Leafs the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Tavares would net his second of the game and Pierre Engvall would score to give the Maple Leafs the 3-0 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In Chicago the Arizona Coyotes would come to town to take on the Blackhawks, and in the first period Clayton Keller and Nick Schmaltz would score to give the Yotes the 2-0 lead, but Seth Jones would score to get the Blackhawks on the board and back within one. In the second period Andreas Athanasiou would score to tie the game at two for the Blackhawks. Then in the third period Colin Blackwell would score to give the Blackhawks the 3-2 lead, but Nick Bjugstad would score tie the game at three for the Yotes to force overtime. In the extra frame Caleb Jones would score to give the Blackhawks the 4-3 victory over the Coyotes.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim the Ducks would take on the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Trevor Zegras would score for the Ducks, but tallies from Pierre-Oliver Joseph, Kasperi Kapanen, and Jeff Carter would give the Pens the 3-1 lead. In the second period Joseph would net his second of the game to give the Pens the three goal lead. Then in the third period Mason McTavish and John Klingberg would score for the Ducks, but tallies from Bryan Rust and Jake Guentzel would give the Penguins the 6-3 victory over the Ducks.
- VAN v. DET – 12p ET
- CAL v. BUF – 1230p ET
- EDM v. OTT – 1230p ET
- NYI v. MON – 1230p ET
- NAS v. PHI – 1230p ET
- TB v. DAL – 1p ET
- WAS v. BOS – 330p ET
- COL v. FLA – 6p ET
- CLB v. TOR – 7p ET
- NYR v. CAR – 7p ET
- ARI v. STL – 8p ET
- NJ v. MIN – 8p ET
- CHI v. WIN – 10p ET
- PIT v. LA 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Mike Keane speaks candidly about Canadiens’ franchise-altering trade (Montreal Gazette)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Tarasenk-Go (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.