NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, January 25th, 2023
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have fined defenseman Juuso Valimaki.
- Valimaki was fined $4,189.19 for slashing Anaheim Ducks forward Max Jones on Tuesday night.
- The fine is the maximum allowed per the CBA.
- The San Jose Sharks and Colorado Avalanche would make a trade.
- The Sharks acquired defenseman Jacob MacDonald and forward Martin Kaut.
- The Avalanche acquired forward Matt Nieto and defenseman Ryan Merkley.
- New York Islanders v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators would play host to the New York Islanders, and in the first period Shane Pinto would score to give the Sens the 1-0 lead. In the second period Claude Giroux would score to grow the Sens lead to two, but Brock Nelson would score to get the Isles on the board and back within one. Then after a scoreless third period the Senators would hold to defeat the Islanders 2-1.
- New York Rangers v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- Meanwhile in Toronto the New York Rangers would take on the Maple Leafs, and in the first period Pontus Holmberg would strike for the Leafs to take the 1-0 lead. But in the second period Filip Chytil would net a pair of goals to give the Rangers the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Timothy Liljegren would score to tie the game at two for the Leafs. In the extra frame it would be Mitch Marner with the game winner 19 seconds into overtime to give the Maple Leafs the 3-2 victory over the Rangers.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Dallas Stars – 830p ET
- In Dallas the Stars would rock white as they would take on the Carolina Hurricanes, and in the first period Sebastian Aho would strike on the powerplay to give the Canes the 1-0 lead, but Wyatt Johnston and Jason Robertson would score to give the Stars the 2-1 lead. In the second period Brent Burns would score to tie the game at two for the Canes. Then after a scoreless third period Martin Necas would strike in overtime to give the Hurricanes the 3-2 victory over the Stars.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Edmonton Oilers – 930p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would rock their Reverse Retro jerseys as they would host the Columbus Blue Jackets, and in the first period Boone Jenner would score to give the Jackets the 1-0 lead. In the second period Derek Ryan and Zach Hyman would score to give the Oilers the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Kirill Marchenko would strike for the Jackets to tie the game at two and force overtime. In the extra frame Kent Johnson would score to give the Blue Jackets the 3-2 victory over the Oilers.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In Seattle the Kraken would take on the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period Oliver Bjorkstrand and Alex Wennberg would score to give the Kraken the 2-0 lead. In the second period Conor Garland would score for the Canucks, but goals from Jared McCann, Eeli Tolvanen, and Bjorkstrand would give the Kraken the dominating 5-1 lead. Then in the third period Ryan Donato would score to give the Kraken the 6-1 blowout victory over the Canucks.
- BOS v. TB – 7p ET
- DET v. MON – 7p ET
- PIT v. WAS – 7p ET
- BUF v. WIN – 8p ET
- NJ v. NAS – 8p ET
- PHI v. MIN – 8p ET
- ANA v. COL – 9p ET
- CHI v. CAL – 9p ET
- STL v. ARI – 9p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Hockey world slowly making strides when it comes to mental health (SportsNet)
- 9-year-old Bowie hockey player breaking barriers on screen and the ice (WUSA9)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.