NHL News and Notes from Thursday, January 12th, 2023
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus, the Blue Jackets host the Hurricanes and in the first Brett Pesce scores his third of the year to give Carolina the 1-0 lead and then Brent Burns sixth of the year gives the Canes the 2-0 lead. Columbus then gets on the board when Sean Kuraly nets his eighth of the year. In the second, Carolina makes it a 3-1 lead when Jalen Chatfield scores a shorthanded goal, his third of the year. In the third, Brett Pesce scores his second of the night to out the Canes up three and then Jaccob Slavin scores his third of the year to make it a 5-1 Carolina lead. Columbus then comes within three when Johnny Gaudreau scores his 12th of the year but then Seth Jarvis’ seventh of the year gives the Hurricanes the 6-2 win over the Blue Jackets.
- Dallas Stars v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- In New York City, the Stars make the annual visit to Broadway to take on the Rangers. After a scoreless first, Tyler Seguin’s 10th of the year in the second period on a Dallas power play gives the Stars the 1-0 lead. In the third, K’Andre Miller’s fifth of the year ties it up for New York. In the overtime session, Adam Fox’s ninth of the year gives the Rangers the 2-1 win over the Stars.
- Nashville Predators v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal, the Canadiens host the Predators for the lone time this season. In the first, Nino Niederreiter’s 13th of the year gives Nashville the 1-0 lead but then Jake Evans scores his second the year to tie the game for Montreal. Then, Kirby Dach strikes with his seventh of the year to give the Habs the 2-1 lead. In the second, Nashville’s Filip Forsberg ties it up with his 18th of the year but then Cole Caufield’s power play goal, his 24th goal of the season, gives Montreal the 3-2 lead. In the third, Cole Caufield scores his second of the night to put Montreal up two but then Juuso Parssinen’s fourth of the year brings the Preds within a goal. However, the Canadiens will escape as they down the Predators to get the 4-3 win.
- Seattle Kraken v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Beantown, Seattle makes the long journey to Boston to take on the Bruins. In the first, Brandon Tanev’s eighth of the year gives the Kraken the 1-0 lead. In the second, Eeli Tolvanen’s sixth of the year puts Seattle up 2-0. In the third, Jaden Schwartz scores an empty net goal, his 10th of the year, as the Kraken shutout the Bruins 3-0.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In an Original Six matchup in the Motor City, the Maple Leafs and Red Wings renew their rivalry. In the first, Lucas Raymond gives Detroit the 1-0 lead with his 12th of the year. In the second, Detroit makes it a 2-0 lead with a power play goal by Robby Fabbri, his third of the year, but then Toronto gets on the board when Rasmus Sundin scores his third of the year. In the third, Ben Chiarot scores his third of the year to put Detroit up two and then Moritz Seider nets his third of the year as the Red Wings breeze by the Maple Leafs with the 4-1 win.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay, the Lightning host the Canucks. In the first, Conor Garland’s eighth of the year puts Vancouver up 1-0, however Corey Perry’s sixth of the year on a Tampa Bay power play ties the game up 1-1. In the second, Alex Killorn’s 13th of the year gives the Bolts the 2-1 lead but then Vancouver’s J.T. Miller ties it up with a power play goal, his 16th goal on the season. Then, Tampa Bay gets a pair of goals when Nikita Kucherov scores his 17th of the year and Brandon Hagel nets his 16th on the season. In the third, Steven Stamkos scores a power play goal of his own, his 18th of the year, as the Lightning take the three goal lead. Vancouver then gets a pair of goals when Quinn Hughes scores his third of the year and then Elias Pettersson strikes with his 18th of the year to come within a goal but the Lightning narrowly defeat the Canucks 5-4.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo, the Sabres welcome the Jets to Western New York. In the first, Dylan Samberg’s second of the year puts Winnipeg up 1-0. In the second, Buffalo ties it up when Victor Olofsson strikes with his 16th of the year but then Winnipeg re-takes the lead when Josh Morrissey scores his eighth of the season. In the third, the Sabres tie it up when Tyson Jost scores his fourth of the year, but then the Jets re-take the lead once more when Kyler Connor scores his 21st of the season. Then, Karson Kuhlman’s empty netter, his second goal of the season, gives the Jets the 4-2 win over the Sabres.
- Minnesota Wild v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- In Long Island, the Islanders play host for the Wild. In the first, Scott Mayfield’s fifth of the year gives the Islanders the 1-0 lead. In the third, Frederick Gaudreau’s shorthanded goal, his 10th goal on the season, ties the game for the Wild and then Sam Steel’s eighth on the year gives the Wild the 2-1 advantage. Kirill Kaprizov’s empty netter, his 25th goal on the season, gives the Wild the 3-1 win over the Islanders.
- Calgary Flames v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis, the Blues host the Flames. After a scoreless first, Calgary gets on the board when Walker Duehr scores his first career NHL goal. In the third, St. Louis ties it up just 20 seconds into the period when Jake Neighbours scores his second of the year. Then, Calgary gets a trio of goals when Dillon Dube scores his ninth, Blake Coleman nets his eighth, and then Dube scores his second of the night as the Flames burn the Blues to get the 4-1 win.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In the Windy City, the Blackhawks welcome the Avalanche. In the first, Chicago takes the 1-0 lead when Sam Lafferty strikes with his fifth of the year but then Colorado ties it up when Evan Rodrigues scores his 10th of the year. In the second, Chicago re-takes the 2-1 lead when Andreas Athanasiou nets his ninth but then the Avs tie it up once more when Cale Makar scores his 11th of the year. In the third, Taylor Raddysh scores his 11th of the year to give the Blackhawks the 3-2 win over the Avalanche.
- Ottawa Senators v. Arizona Coyotes – 9p ET
- In Tempe, the Coyotes welcome the Senators. In the first, Ottawa scores a pair of goals when Brady Tkachuk scores his 15th of the year and then Derick Brassard scores his sixth, a power play goal, to give the Sens the 2-0 lead. In the second, Arizona gets on the board when Dylan Guenther gets a power play goal, his fourth of the season but then Alex DeBrincat’s 14th of the season puts the Sens up by two again. In the third, Lawson Crouse’s 15th of the season brings the Yotes within a goal once more. Then, Mark Kastelic goes on to score his fourth of the season as the Sens re-take the two goal lead, however Barrett Hayton’s fifth of the year brings Arizona within a goal again. Then, Artem Zub’s third of the year gives the Senators the 5-3 win over the Coyotes.
- Florida Panthers v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas, the Golden Knights host the Panthers for the lone time on the season. In the first, Nick Cousins is credited with a goal to give Florida the 1-0 lead. In the second, Vegas ties it up when Nicolas Roy scores his eighth of the year but then the Panthers re-take the lead when Sam Reinhart scores his 13th on the power play. In the third, Jack Eichel nets his 15th ties the game for Vegas and then William Carrier’s 11th of the year gives the Golden Knights the 3-2 lead. Then, William Karlsson scores an empty net, power play goal to give the Golden Knights the 4-2 win over the Panthers.
- WIN v. PIT – 7p ET
- NJ v. ANA – 10p ET
- EDM v. SJ – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- The weight of being trade bait, from Sundin to Giroux to Kane, Toews (The Athletic – $)
- Insider Trading: Will the Jets be buyers at the deadline? (TSN)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.