NHL News and Notes from Monday, May 2nd, 2022
- Boston Bruins v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET – Game 1
- In Raleigh, these two rivals meet up for their first round series. After a scoreless first, Seth Jarvis nets his first of the year to give Carolina the 1-0 lead and then Nino Niederreiter nets his first to give the Canes the 2-0 lead. In the third, Boston gets on the board when Taylor Hall scores his first goal of the playoffs but then Carolina re-takes the two goal lead when Teuvo Teravainen scores his first. Vincent Trocheck scores his first to give Carolina the three goal lead and then Andrei Svechnikov closes the door on the contest with his first, with an empty net goal, as the Hurricanes breeze by the Bruins with the 5-1 win.
- Dickson’s TXHT Game Recap – Hurricanes Win 5-1, Take 1-0 Series Lead
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 730p ET – Game 1
- In Toronto, the Leafs host the Lightning in Game 1 of this best of seven series. In the first period, Jake Muzzin gives Toronto the 1-0 lead. In the second, Auston Matthews nets his first of the postseason, a power play goal, to give the Leafs the 2-0 lead and then David Kampf nets his first, with Toronto short-handed, to make it a 3-0 Toronto lead. Mitchell Marner then scores his first to give Toronto the 4-0 lead. In the third, Auston Matthews nets his second of the game as the Maple Leafs go on to shutout the Lightning with the 5-0 win.
- Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Leafs Shutout Lightning in Game 1
- St. Louis Blues v. Minnesota Wild – 930p ET – Game 1
- In the State of Hockey, the Wild and Blues due battle in this first round match-up. In the first period, St. Louis takes the 1-0 lead when David Perron scores his first on the power play and then the Blues take the 2-0 lead when Ryan O’Reilly nets his first of the postseason. In the second, David Perron scores his second of the night, also on the power play, to give the Blues the 3-0 lead. In the third, David Perron completes the hat trick to give the Blues the 4-0 win and take the 1-0 series lead over the Wild.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET – Game 1
- In the final contest of the night, the Kings look to take the home-ice advantage from the Oilers. In the first, Trevor Moore gives the Kings the 1-0 lead and then Los Angeles jumps out to the 2-0 lead when Alex Iafallo scores his first. Edmonton then gets on the board when Connor McDavid scores his first. In the second, Kailer Yamamoto scores on the power play to tie the game 2-2. Los Angeles then re-takes the lead when Brendan Lemieux scores his first of the postseason. Edmonton then ties the game once more when Leon Draisaitl scores on the power play, his first of the postseason. In the third, Sean Durzi scores his first career postseason NHL goal to give the Kings the 4-3 win and 1-0 series lead over the Oilers.
- PIT v. NYR – 7p ET – Game 1
- WAS v. FLA – 730p ET – Game 1
- NAS v. COL – 930p ET – Game 1
- DAL v. CAL – 10p ET – Game 1
Noteworthy in Hockey
- A tough matchup could turn into a rough matchup for Leafs and Lightning (Toronto Star – $)
- Spence’s unique, unconventional path to NHL with Kings (Color of Hockey)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Weekend Wrap and a Playoff Preview (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.