NHL News and Notes from Monday, April 18th, 2022
- The NHL announced St. Louis Blues forward Vladimir Tarasenko as First Star of the Week.
- Kevin Fiala (MIN) and Mike Smith (EDM) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Tarasenko Shines as First Star
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have fined New York Islanders forward Mathew Barzal.
- Barzal was fined $2,500 for unsportsmanlike conduct during Sunday’s game against Toronto.
- NHL DoPS also announced that they have suspended Montreal Canadiens forward Michael Pezzetta.
- Pezzetta was suspended for two games for doing an illegal hit to the head on Washington Capitals forward TJ Oshie on Saturday night.
- Pezzetta will forfeit $7,500 under the terms of the CBA and based on his average annual salary.
- The NHL and Adidas are being sued in Florida for marketing jerseys made at the retail level as “authentic”, when they are described as replicas.
- Calgary Flames v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In the Windy City, the Blackhawks look to defeat the Flames and in the first period Calgary gets a pair of goals when Dillono Dube nets his 14th and Johnny Gaudreau scores his 37th to take the 2-0 lead. Chicago gets on the board when Tyler Johnson scores his second of the year but then Blake Coleman scores his 16th of the year to give the Flames the 3-1 lead. In the second, Alec Regula scores his first career NHL goal to bring Chicago within a goal. In the third, Calgary takes the 4-2 lead when Johnny Gaudreau nets his second of the night and then the Flames seal the win after Oliver Kylington scores his ninth as Calagary gets the 5-2 win over Chicago.
- Washington Capitals v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In the Mile High City, the Capitals look to end the Avalanche win streak and in the first Washington takes the 1-0 lead when Garnet Hathaway scores his 14th of the year but then Colorado ties the game when Valeri Nichushkin scores his 22nd of the year. In the second, Alex Ovechkin scores his 48th of the year to give the Capitals the 2-1 lead. In the third, Artturi Lehkonen scores his 16th of the year to tie the game for the Avs but then Marcus Johansson scores the game winner, his eighth of the year, to give the Capitals the 3-2 win over the Avalanche.
- Ottawa Senators v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In the Emerald City, the Senators make their lone trip to Seattle to face the Kraken and in the first Daniel Sprong scores his 12th of the year to give the Kraken the 1-0 lead. In the second, Brady Tkachuk nets his 28th to tie the game of the Senators and then Nick Holden scores his fifth of the year to give Ottawa the 2-1 lead. Matty Beniers scores his second of the year to tie the game for the Kraken and the Victor Rask scores his eighth of the year to make it a 3-2 Seattle lead. In the third, Jared McCann scores his 26th as the Kraken get the 4-2 win over the Senators.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Arizona Coyotes – 10p ET
- In Arizona, the Hurricanes face off against the Coyotes for the final time on the year and in the first Carolina takes the 1-0 lead when Vincent Trocheck nets his 20th of the year. In the second, Jesper Fast nets his 13th to give the Canes the 2-0 lead and then Max Domi nets his 10th to give Carolina the 3-0 lead. Arizona gets on the board when Nick Ritchie nets his 12th of the year but then the Canes re-take the three goal lead when Nino Niederreiter scores his 23rd of the year. Arizona then gets a pair of goals when Loui Eriksson nets his third and then Alex Galchenyuk strikes with his sixth to bring the Yotes within a goal. In the third, Sebastian Aho nets his 36th of the year to give the Hurricanes the 5-3 win over the Coyotes.
- New Jersey Devils v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Sin City, the Devils make their lone trip to Vegas to face off against the Golden Knights and in the first Nathan Bastian scores his 12th of the year to give the Devils the 1-0 lead. In the second, Keegan Kolesar scores his seventh to make it a tie game. In the third, Andreas Johnsson nets his 13th to make it a 2-1 New Jersey lead and then Jesper Boqvist scores his ninth to give the Devils the two goal lead. Chandler Stephenson scores his 18th of the year but the Vegas comeback is not in the cards as the Devils get the 3-2 win over the Golden Knights.
- Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Devils Hang on to Beat Vegas
- Dallas Stars v. Vancouver Canucks – 1030p ET
- In Vancouver, the Stars face off against the Canucks and in the first Vancouver takes the 1-0 lead when Conor Garland nets his 17th but then Roope Hintz nets his 33rd to tie the game. Elias Pettersson nets his 28th of the year to give the ‘Nucks the 2-1 lead. In the second, Brock Boeser scores his 20th to give Vancouver the two goal lead but then Roope Hintz scores his second of the night to bring the Stars within a goal. Jason Dickinson then nets his fifth of the year to give Vancouver the two goal lead once more. In the third, Vasily Podkolzin nets his 14th of the year as the Canucks take the three goal lead and then Elias Pettersson nets his second of the game as Vancouver breezes by Dallas with the 6-2 win.
- PHI v. TOR – 7p ET
- MIN v. MON – 7p ET
- DET v. TB – 7p ET
- WIN v. NYR – 7p ET
- FLA v. NYI – 730p ET
- CAL v. NAS – 8p ET
- BOS v. STL – 8p ET
- OTT v. VAN – 10p ET
- LA v. ANA – 10p ET
- CLB v. SJ – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Inside the NHL: Donald Fehr’s end game, memories of Mike Bossy and top five surprise scorers (Toronto Star – $)
- NHL gives teenage player’s diversity guidebook gold star (Color of Hockey)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Hitting Reset With Martin St. Louis (SportsNet)
- Hobey Baker winner Dryden McKay discusses suspension for banned substance (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.