NHL News and Notes from Monday, April 4th, 2022
- The NHL announced Edmonton Oilers forward Connor McDavid as First Star of the Week.
- Aleksander Barkov (FLA) and Semyon Varlamov (NYI) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – McDavid and Barkov Tie for the Week
- Boston Bruins v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus, the Blue Jackets play host to the Bruins and in the first period Emil Bemstrom nets his fifth of the year to give the Jackets the 1-0 lead. Boston will then go on to tie the game when Jake DeBrusk scores his 20th of the year. In the second, Craig Smith goes on to score his 16th of the year to give the B’s the 2-1 lead but then Zach Werenski scores his 11th of the year to tie the game for Columbus. In overtime, Jake DeBrusk scores his second of the night to give the Bruins the 3-2 win over the Blue Jackets.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 730p ET
- In Tampa, the Maple Leafs visit the two-time defending Stanley Cup Champion Lightning and in the first period, Pierre Engvall scores his 13th of the year to give Toronto the 1-0 lead. Tampa Bay then ties the contest after Nikita Kucherov scores his 13th. In the second, Toronto re-takes the lead after Auston Matthews scores his 52nd of the year but then Tampa ties the game again after Jan Rutta’s third of the year. Auston Matthews then scores his second of the year and then Alexander Kerfoot scores his 12th of the year as the Maple Leafs take the 4-2 lead. In the third, Auston Matthews completes the hat trick and then Mitchell Marner scores his 29th of the year as the Maple Leafs take the commanding 6-2 lead and win over the Lightning.
- Arizona Coyotes v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In the Lou, the Coyotes drop into St. Louis to take the Blues. After a scoreless first, Ivan Barbashev scores his 22nd of the year to give the Blues the 1-0 lead and then St. Louis takes the 2-0 lead when Vladimir Tarasenko scores his 24th of the year. St. Louis then makes it a 3-0 lead when Brayden Schenn scores a power play goal, his 20th goal of the year, and then the Blues take the 4-0 lead when Pavel Buchnevich scores a shorthanded goal, his 24th of the year. In the third, Arizona gets on the board when Nick Schmaltz scores his 21st of the year but St. Louis. goes on to seal the win after Vladimir Tarasenko nets his second of the night as the Blues take down the Coyotes 5-1.
- Calgary Flames v. Los Angeles Kings – 1030p ET
- In Hollywood, the Kings look to extinguish the Flames and in the first period Calgary takes the 1-0 lead after Johnny Gaudreau takes the 1-0 lead with his 33rd of the year. However, Adrian Kempe gets a pair of goals to give the Kings the 2-1 lead. In the second, Elias Lindholm scores his 35th to tie the game for Calgary and then Johnny Gaudreau gets his second of the night to give the Flames the 3-2 lead and win after a scoreless third period.
- CAR v. BUF – 7p ET
- OTT v. MON – 7p ET
- TOR v. FLA – 7p ET
- NYR v. NJ – 7p ET
- CLB v. PHI – 7p ET
- COL v. PIT – 7p ET
- BOS v. DET – 730p ET
- MIN v. NAS – 8p ET
- NYI v. DAL – 830p ET
- EDM v. SJ – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Inside the NHL: Flames bet on themselves and win, more Matthews magic and rating the coaches (Toronto Star – $)
- Capitals History: Home Team Sports’ Beginnings in 1984 (The Hockey Writers)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Willing Combatants (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.