NHL News and Notes from Thursday, March 24th, 2022
- The NHL has fined Washington Capitals forward Garnet Hathaway.
- Hathaway was fined for $2000 under NHL Rule 64 for Diving/Embellishment.
- Hathaway’s first citation was on Feb. 24th against the New York Rangers which earned a Warning.
- His second citation was on March 18th against Carolina which warranted the fine.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Boston the Bruins would take on the Tampa Bay Lightning, and after a scoreless first period Brandon Hagel would score for the Bolts and David Pastrnak would score for the B’s for the 1-1 tie. Then in the third period Steven Stamkos would score for the Bolts, but a pair of goals by Pastrnak would complete the hat trick and give the Bruins the 3-2 victory over the Lightning.
- Florida Panthers v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would host the Florida Panthers, and in the first period Aleksander Barkov would score for the Panthers and Nick Suzuki would strike for the Habs for a 1-1tie. In the second period Jake Evans would score for the Habs, but goals from Mason Marchment and Anthony Duclair would give the Panthers the 3-2 lead. Then in the third period Paul Byron would score for the Habs, but Sam Reinhart would score to give the Panthers the 4-3 victory over the Canadiens.
- Dallas Stars v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would host the Dallas Stars, and after a scoreless first period Jamie Benn would score for the Stars and Nino Niederreiter would strike for the Canes for the 1-1 tie. Then in the third period Roope Hintz would net a pair of goals for the Stars, and Vincent Trocheck and Niederreiter would score to tie the game at three for the Canes. After a scoreless overtime period it would be Tyler Seguin in the shootout to give the Stars the 4-3 victory over the Hurricanes.
- Detroit Red Wings v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- On Long Island the New York Islanders would host the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Anthony Beauvillier and Oliver Bjorkstrand would score to give the Isles the 2-0 lead. In the second period Brock Nelson would strike to grow the Isles lead to three. Then in the third period Pius Suter and Sam Gagner would score for the Wings, but goals from Josh Bailey and Nelson would give the Islanders the 5-2 victory over the Red Wings.
- Ottawa Senators v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would host the Ottawa Senators, and in the first period Josh Morrissey would strike for the Jets and Brady Tkachuk would score for the Sens for a 1-1 tie. Then after a scoreless second period Kyle Connor would score for the Jets, but goals from Tyler Ennis, Colin White, Connor Brown, and Tkachuk would give the Senators the 5-2 victory over the Jets.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would host the Philadelphia Flyers, and in the first period Travis Konecny and Patrick Brown would score to give the Flyers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Vladimir Tarasenko and Alexei Toropchenko would score for the Blues, but Konecny’s second of the game would keep the Flyers ahead by one. Then in the third period Hayden Hodgson and Joel Farabee would score to give the Flyers the 5-2 victory over the Blues.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild would face the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period Bo Horvat would score for the Canucks and Kirill Kaprizov would strike for the Wild for a 1-1 tie. In the second period Kevin Fiala would score to give the Wild the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period JT Miller would score to tie the game at two to send the game to overtime. In the extra frame Joel Eriksson Ek would strike 31 seconds into overtime to give the Wild the 3-2 victory over the Canucks.
- San Jose Sharks v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would host the San Jose Sharks, and after a scoreless first period Erik Karlsson would score for the Sharks, but goals from Kailer Yamamoto and Leon Draisaitl would give the Oilers the 2-1 lead. In the third period, Derick Brassard strikes to give Edmonton the two goal lead but Tomas Hertl brings the Sharks within a goal once more. Leon Draisaitl nets his second of the night and then Evander Kane strikes with an empty net goal to give the Oilers the 5-2 win over the Sharks.
- Nashville Predators v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas the Golden Knights would host the Nashville Predators, and in the first period Mattias Janmark and Nicolas Roy would score to give the Knights the 2-0 lead. In the second, Vegas takes the three goal lead after Evgenii Dadonov scores his 16th of the year and then Nashville gets on the board when Filip Forsberg scores his 36th of the year. Jack Eichel goes on to score his sixth of the year as the Golden Knights make it a 4-1 game. In the third, Chandler Stephenson scores his 16th and Alex Pietrangelo nets his 11th as the Golden Knights defeat the Predators 6-1.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In Hollywood the Chicago Blackhawks would come to town to take on the Los Angeles Kings, and in the first period Patrick Kane would score to give the Blackhawks the 1-0 lead. In the second, Los Angeles ties it up after Trevor Moore nets his 13th of the year but then Alex DeBrincat scores his 36th of the year to give the ‘Hawks the 2-1 lead. Los Angeles then ties it up when Phillip Danault nets his 20th of the year but then Chicago takes the lead once again after Sam Lafferty scores his fourth of the year. In the third, Phillip Danault scores his second of the game to make it a 3-3 game. In the shootout, Alex DeBrincat scores the lone goal as the Blackhawks get the 4-3 win over the Kings.
- WAS v. BUF – 7p ET
- PIT v. NYR – 7p ET
- CLB v. WIN – 8p ET
- PHI v. COL – 9p ET
- ARI v. CAL – 9p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- LeBrun: Inside the Evgenii Dadonov trade reversal and what we learned about no-trade lists (The Athletic – $)
- Insider Trading: Could a ‘Kucherov’ rule be added to keep salary cap restrictions in playoffs? (TSN)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.