NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, March 8th, 2022
- The Seattle Kraken have re-signed forward Jared McCann to a five year extension.
- The contract will carry an AAV of $5 million per season.
- McCann officially becomes the first player in franchise history to re-sign with the Kraken.
- Colorado Avalanche v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey the Devils would play host to the Colorado Avalanche, and in the first period Nathan MacKinnon and Mikko Rantanen would score a pair of powerplay goals to give the Avs the 2-0 lead. In the second period Cale Makar would score for the Avs, but goals from Tomas Tatar, Ty Smith, and Damon Severson would tie the game at three for the Devils. then in the third period Nathan Bastian and Yegor Sharangovich would strike to give the Devils the 5-3 victory over the Avalanche.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Five Straight Goals Complete Devils Comeback
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would host the Vegas Golden Knights, and in the first period Justin Braun and Oskar Lindblom would score to give the Flyers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Evgenii Dadonov would strike on the powerplay for the Knights to cut their deficit to one, but the Flyers would hold on for the 2-1 victory over the Golden Knights.
- Florida Panthers v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- On the other side of Pennsylvania the Pittsburgh Penguins would host the Florida Panthers, and in the first period Sam Reinhart and Aaron Ekblad would score to give the Panthers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Bryan Rust and Jake Guentzel would score for the Pens, but Anthony Duclair would score to keep the Panthers in the lead by one. Then in the third period Sidney Crosby would score for the Pens, but Carter Verhaeghe would strike to give the Panthers the 4-3 victory over the Penguins.
- Seattle Kraken v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 730p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would play host to the Seattle Kraken, and in the first period Carson Soucy would score for the Kraken, but goals from Auston Matthews and John Tavares would give the Leafs the 2-1 lead. In the second period William Nylander would score for the Leafs, but goals by Alex Wennberg and Colin Blackwell would tie the game at three for the Kraken. Then in the third period Jaden Schwartz would score for the Kraken, but Matthews would net a pair to complete the hat trick and Mitch Marner would score to give the Maple Leafs the 6-4 victory over the Kraken.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Detroit Red Wings – 730p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would take on the Arizona Coyotes, and in the first period Robby Fabbri would score for the Wings, but goals from Travis Boyd, Nick Ritchie, and Jakob Chychrun would give the Yotes the 3-1 lead. In the second period Jakub Varana would score for the Wings in his first game of the season, but Nick Schmaltz would net a pair of goals and Chychrun and Ritchie would both net their second goals of the game to give the Yotes a demanding 7-2 lead. Then in the third period Christian Fischer and Clayton Keller would score for the Coyotes to defeat the Red Wings 9-2.
- Ottawa Senators v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would play host to the Ottawa Senators, and in the first period Tim Stutzle would strike for the Sens and David Perron would score for the Blues for the 1-1 tie. In the second period Josh Norris would strike to give the Send the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Brady Tkachuk and Alex Formenton would score to give the Senators the 4-1 victory over the Blues.
- Dallas Stars v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would host their Central Division rival Dallas Stars, and after a scoreless 40 minutes of action John Klingberg would score for the Stars, but Ryan Johansen and Roman Josi would strike for the Predators to defeat the Stars 2-1.
- New York Rangers v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild would host the New York Rangers, and in the first period Ryan Hartman and Joel Eriksson Ek would score to give the Wild the 2-0 lead. In the second period Dryden Hunt and Mika Zibanejad would score for the Rangers, but a pair of goals from Kevin Fiala and a tally from Marcus Foligno would give the Wild the 5-2 victory over the Rangers.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets and Tampa Bay Lightning would do battle and in the first period Ryan McDonagh, Alex Killorn, and Victor Hedman would score for the Bolts, while Mark Scheifele, Adam Lowry, and Paul Stastny would score for the Jets for a 3-3 tie. Then after a scoreless second period Ross Colton would score for the Bolts, but Pierre-Luc Dubois, Kyle Connor, Josh Morrissey, and Stastny would score to give the Jets the 7-4 victory over the Lightning.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In Chicago the Blackhawks would go Duck hunting as Anaheim would come to town, and in the first period Dylan Strome, Alex DeBrincat, Patrick Kane, Ryan Carpenter, and Jonathan Toews would score to give the Blackhawks the 5-0 lead. In the second period Jakob Silfverberg, Trevor Zegras, and Adam Henrique would score for the Ducks, but Brandon Hagel and Strome would strike to keep the Blackhawks ahead by four. Then in the third period Strome would complete the hat trick as the Blackhawks would defeat the Ducks 8-3.
- Washington Capitals v. Calgary Flames – 930p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would host the Washington Capitals, and in the first period Elias Lindholm would score to give the Flames the 1-0 lead. In the second period Adam Ruzicka would score for the Flames, but goals from Conor Sheary and Alex Ovechkin would tie the game at two for the Caps. Then in the third period Oliver Kylington and Lindholm would score for the Flames, but goals from Anthony Mantha, Nic Dowd, and Ovechkin would give the Capitals the 5-4 victory over the Flames.
- WAS v. EDM – 8p ET
- MON v. VAN – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- ‘We need help’: A longtime NHL player pleads for support from inside war-torn Ukraine (The Athletic – $)
- 1,000 games and counting for Ovechkin and Backstrom together (NBC Sports Washington)
- Capitals’ Backstrom, Ovechkin Near Milestones on Road Trip (The Hockey Writers)
- Insider Trading: Chychrun, Manson and Hagel among those drawing sizable interest (TSN)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.