NHL News and Notes from Monday, February 7th, 2022
- The Washington Capitals recalled goaltender Pheonix Copley from Hershey (AHL)
- The NHL announced Claude Giroux of the Philadelphia Flyers the First Star of the Week.
- Mitch Marner (TOR) and Mason Marchment (FLA) would round out the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Giroux’s MVP Performance Earns Top Honors
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto, the Hurricanes visit the Maple Leafs and in the first period, Nino Niederreiter nets his 14th of the to give Carolina the 1-0 lead. In the second, Auston Matthews gets a pair of goals to give the Leafs the 2-1 lead. In the third, the Canes get a pair of goals when Tony DeAngelo nets his eighth of the year and then Derek Stepan gets his seventh of the year to make it a 3-2 Carolina lead. Then, Toronto ties the game up when Mitchell Marner gets his 15th of the year to make it a 3-3 game. In the overtime frame, Marner gets his second of the game as the Maple Leafs down the Hurricanes 4-3.
- New Jersey Devils v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In the Canadian capital, the Devils visit the Senators and in the first period New Jersey takes the 1-0 lead when Nico Hischier nets his ninth of the year but Ottawa responds when Nick Paul scores his ninth of the year. In the second, Ottawa takes the 2-1 lead when Nick Holden scores his third of the year and then the Sens take the 3-1 lead when Adam Gaudette nets his fourth of the year. In the third, Connor Brown finds the back of the net with his sixth of the year to seal the win for the Sens as they down the Devils 4-1.
- Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Devils Suffer Seventh Loss in a Row
- CAR v. OTT – 7p ET
- PIT v. BOS – 7p ET
- NJ v. MON – 7p ET
- CLB v. WAS – 7p ET
- MIN v. WIN – 8p ET
- VGK v. EDM – 9p ET
- ARI v. VAN – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- The crowd booed him, but Tom Wilson’s fellow all-stars were very complimentary (Washington Post via MSN.com)
- Thorns seeks post as NHL’s first Black equipment manager (Color of Hockey)
- Capitals’ Stanley Cup Hopes Get Boost From Kuznetsov’s Resurgence (The Hockey Writers)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: News Breaks & Vegas Recap (SportsNet)
- Inside the NHL: Coyotes weather the storm, Nazem Kadri banks on himself and top trade deadline buyers (Toronto Star – $)