NHL News and Notes from Friday, January 28th, 2022
- The New York Rangers would officially retire Henrik Lundqvist’s #30 to the rafters before their game against the Minnesota Wild.
- The Dallas Stars would also raise a banner to the rafters as they would retire Sergei Zubov’s #56 before their game against the Washington Capitals.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Penguins would play host to the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Givani Smith would score to give the Wings the 1-0 lead. In the second period Jake Guentzel would strike for the Pens, but a tally by Filip Zadina would keep the Wings ahead by one. Then in the third period Guentzel would net his second of the game to tie the game at two and send the game to overtime. After a scoreless overtime period it would be Lucas Raymond in the shootout to give the Red Wings teh 3-2 victory over the Penguins.
- Minnesota Wild v. New York Rangers – 8p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would raise Henrik Lunqvist’s #30 to the rafters before hosting the Minnesota Wild, and in the first period Barclay Goodrow and Chris Kreider would score to give the Rangers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Kevin Fiala and Mats Zuccarello would score to tie the game at two for the Wild. Then in the third period Frederick Gaudreau would score to give the Wild the 3-2 victory over the Rangers.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In Chicago the Blackhawks would host the Colorado Avalanche, and after a scoreless first period Gabriel Landeskog and JT Compher would score to give the Avs the 2-0 lead. Then in the third period Brandon Hagel and Patrick Kane would net a pair of goals each for the Blackhawks, but goals from Landeskog, Alex Newhook, Nazem Kadri, and Cale Makar would give the Avalanche the 6-4 victory over the Blackhawks.
- Boston Bruins v. Arizona Coyotes – 9p ET
- In Arizona the Coyotes would host the Boston Bruins, and in the first period Erik Haula would score for the B’s and Nick Schmaltz would score for the Coyotes for a 1-1 tie. In the second period Charlie McAvoy would strike to give the Bruins the 2-1 victory over the Coyotes.
- Washington Capitals v. Dallas Stars – 9p ET
- In Dallas the Stars would raise Sergei Zubov’s #56 to the rafters as they host the Washington Capitals, and in the first period Tom Wilson, John Carlson, and Trevor van Riemsdyk would score to give the Caps the 3-0 lead. In the second period Connor McMichael and Nicklas Backstrom would score to grow the Caps lead to five. Then in the third period Former Capital Braden Holtby would be chased from the net as the Capitals would go on to defeat the Stars 5-0.
- ANA v. OTT – 1230p ET
- LA v. PHI – 1p ET
- SEA v. NYI – 2p ET
- WIN v. STL – 3p ET
- SJ v. FLA – 6p ET
- EDM v. MON – 7p ET
- TOR v. DET – 7p ET
- VGK v. TB – 7p ET
- NJ v. CAR – 7p ET
- BUF v. ARI – 9p ET
- VAN v. CAL – 10p ET