NHL News and Notes from Saturday, December 11th, 2021
- The Montreal Canadiens announced that forward Tyler Toffoli will miss 8 weeks after having hand surgery.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Ottawa Senators – 1p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first period Josh Norris would open the scoring for the Sens. In the second period Brady Tkachuk would score a pair of goals to give the Sens the three goal lead. Then in the third period Tkachuk would score his third of the game for the natural hat trick to give the Senators the 4-0 victory over the Lightning.
- Montreal Canadiens v. St. Louis Blues – 7p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would take on the Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period Pavel Buchnevich would score to give the Blues the 1-0 lead. In the second period Dakota Joshua would score his first goal of the season and a tally from Ivan Barbashev would grow the Blues lead to three. Then in the third period Alexander Romanov would strike early for the Habs, but Torey Krug would strike to give the Blues the 4-1 victory over the Canadiens.
- Washington Capitals v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres would play host to the Washington Capitals, and in the first period Lars Eller would open the scoring for the Caps, but Vinnie Hinostroza would strike to get the Sabres on the board to tie the game at one. In the second period Will Butcher would net his first of the season to give the Sabres the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Martin Fehervary would strike to tie the game at two, and send the game to overtime. After a scoreless five minutes of extra hockey the game would remain tied at two and would require the shootout which would see TJ Oshie score the winner to give the Capitals the 3-2 victory over the Sabres.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto we would be treated to an Original Six matchup as the Maple Leafs would host the Chicago Blackhawks, and in the first period Jonathan Toews would score for the Blackhawks, but goals from John Tavares, William Nylander, and Auston Matthews would give the Leafs the 3-1 lead. In the second period Pierre Engvall would score to grow the Leafs lead to three, but Connor Murphy would score to bring the Blackhawks back within two. Then in the third period Dominik Kubalik would score to bring the Blackhawks back within one, but David Kampf would score to give the Leafs the 5-3 lead. Jake McCabe would score for the Blackhawks, but they would fall to the Maple Leafs 5-4.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Penguins would sport their new alternate jerseys as they would host the Anaheim Ducks, and in the first period Brock McGinn would score to give the Pens the 1-0 victory.
- New Jersey Devils v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- On Long Island the New Jersey Devils would do a short drive over to take on the New York Islanders, and in the first period Noah Dobson would score for the Isles, but goals from Jesper Bratt and Jack Hughes would give the Devils the 2-1 lead. In the second period Andy Greene and Zach Parise would strike to give the Isles the 3-2 lead. Then in the third period Jean-Gabriel Pageau would score to give the Islanders the 4-2 victory.
- Scott’s Game Recap – Devils suffer defeat to Isles 4-2
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Arizona Coyotes – 9p ET
- In Arizona, the Flyers look to get the win over the Coyotes. In the first, Philadelphia gets on the board early when James van Riemsdyk gets his fourth of the year. Arizona responds to tie the game when Jay Beagle gets his first of the year. In the second, Philadelphia takes the 2-1 lead when Scott Laughton strikes for his sixth of the year but the Yotes respond when Nick Schmaltz nets his first of the year to make it a 2-2 game. The Flyers re-take the lead after Patrick Brown strikes for his first of the year then James van Riemsdyk scores his second of the night as the Flyers make it a 4-2 lead. In the third, the Flyers take the three goal lead when Claude Giroux scores his 10th and Arizona responds when Lawson Crouse nets his sixth of the year but the Flyers get the 5-3 win over the Coyotes.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In the Emerald City, the Kraken look to get the win over the Blue Jackets. After a scoreless first, Columbus gets on the board first in the second when Oliver Bjorkstrand scores his ninth of the year. Jack Roslovic makes it a 2-0 Blue Jackets lead when he scores his fifth of the year. Seattle gets on the board after Jared McCann nets his 11th of the year but Columbus re-takes the two goal lead after Max Domi nets his fifth of the year. Domi will then strike again with just 26 seconds left in the period to give Columbus the 4-1 lead. In the third, Jaden Schwartz will then score his sixth of the year to make it a 4-2 Columbus lead and then the Kraken will come within a goal after Morgan Geekie nets his third of the year. Vince Dunn will then tie the game for the Kraken after Dunn strikes for his third of the year. In the overtime session, Jake Bean scores his fourth of the year as the Blue Jackets eek by the Kraken with the 5-4 win.
- Boston Bruins v. Calgary Flames – 10p ET
- In the Saddledome, the Bruins will look to extinguish the Flames. In the first period, the Bruins will get on the board first after Connor Clifton nets his first of the year. In the second, Brad Marchand nets his 11th to give the Bruins the 2-0 lead and Charlie McAvoy nets his fourth to make it a 3-0 Boston lead. Calgary gets on the board when Matthew Tkachuk nets his 12th goal, a power play goal. In the third, Curtis Lazar nets his second to give the B’s the three goal lead once again. Sean Monahan nets his fourth but a Calgary comeback is not enough as the Bruins double up the Flames 4-2.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET
- In Edmonton, Carolina will look to strike Oil and escape with a win. In the first period, Sebastian Aho nets his 14th of the year to give the Canes the 1-0 lead. In the second, Nino Niederreiter scores his sixth of the year to make it a 2-0 Carolina lead. Edmonton gets on the board after Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scores his third of the year. In the third, Aho scores his second of the night as the Hurricanes get the 3-1 win over the Oilers.
- Minnesota Wild v. Los Angeles Kings – 1030p ET
- In the City of Angels, the Wild look to get out of Los Angeles with a win. After a scoreless first period, Marcus Foligno strikes with his 12th goal in the second period to make it a 1-0 Minnesota lead. Phillip Danault will then score his fourth of the year to get the Kings on the board. Brendan Lemieux nets his fifth of the year, the game winner, as the Kings get the 2-1 win over the Wild.
- Dallas Stars v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose, the Stars look to be aligned with a win over the Sharks. In the first period, San Jose gets on the board first after Tomas Hertl nets his 14th of the year. In the second, the Sharks make it a 2-0 lead after Erik Karlsson’s eighth of the year. As the contest moves to the third, Michael Raffl nets his third of the year as the Stars come within a goal but the comeback is not enough as the Sharks get the 2-1 win over the Stars.
- ANA v. STL – 7p ET
- NAS v. NYR – 7p ET
- FLA v. COL – 8p ET
- MIN v. VGK – 9p ET
- CAR v. VAN – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Nicklas Backstrom’s ‘up and down, emotional’ road to recovery (Washington Post – $)
- Stars goalie Ben Bishop ‘unfit to play moving forward’ due to degenerative knee injury (The Athletic – $)