NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, December 1st, 2021
- The NHL announced Detroit Red Wings forward Lucas Raymond as the Rookie of the Month for November.
- NHL Rookie of the Month – Raymond Earning His Wings
- The Pittsburgh Penguins announced their new alternate jerseys.
- The Penguins are bringing back the diagonal “PITTSBURGH” jerseys that they wore back in the 1990’s and last season as a Reverse Retro (which was a white version of the jersey).
- The NHL announced that Leon Draisaitl of the Edmonton Oilers has earned top honors as First Star for the Month of November.
- Jack Campbell (TOR) and Nazem Kadri (COL) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL 3 Stars of the Month – Draisaitl Burns Bright for Top Honors
- Philadelphia Flyers v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would host the Philadelphia Flyers, and in the first period Jacob Trouba and Dryden Hunt would score to give the Rangers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Chris Kreider would strike 34 seconds into the period to grow the Rangers lead to three, but Morgan Frost would score to get the Flyers on the board and back within two. Then in the third period Artemi Panarin would score to give the Rangers the 4-1 victory over the Flyers.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 730p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would host the Colorado Avalanche, and in the first period Samuel Girard would score for the Avs, but goals from William Nylander, Jason Spezza, and Auston Matthews would give the Leafs the 3-1 lead. In the second period Nazem Kadri would score for the Avs, but goals from Travis Dermott and John Tavares would give the Leafs the 5-2 lead. Then in the third period Matthews would net a pair to complete the hat trick, and Pierre Engvall would score to give the Leafs the 8-2 lead. Kadri would net his second of the game for the Avs, but the Leafs would go on to win 8-3 over the Avalanche.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Ottawa Senators – 730p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators would host the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period Tanner Pearson would strike early for the Canucks, but Adam Gaudette would score to tie the game at one for the Sens. In the second period Tyler Motte and Luke Schenn would score to retake the lead for the Canucks. Then in the third period Bo Horvat and Alex Chiasson would score to give the Canucks the 5-1 lead, and while Brady Tkachuk would score for the Sens, but JT Miller would score to give the Canucks the 6-2 victory.
- Seattle Kraken v. Detroit Red Wings – 730p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would take on the Seattle Kraken, and after a scoreless first period Robby Fabbri would strike for the Wings, but Vince Dunn would score to tie the game at one for the Kraken. However, Ryan Donato and Vladislav Namestnikov would score for their respective teams to go into the second intermission tied at two. Then in the third period Lucas Raymond would score to give the Red Wings the 3-2 lead, but Donato’s second of the game would tie the game at three to force overtime. After a scoreless five minutes of extra hockey, it would be Adam Erne with the shootout winner to give the Red Wings the 4-3 victory over the Kraken.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim, the Golden Knights visit the Ducks. After a scoreless first period, Troy Terry nets his 15th of the year to get the Ducks the 1-0 lead. Anaheim then goes up 2-0 after Rickard Rakell strikes for his seventh on the year. Vegas then gets on the board with William Carrier’s third of the year. The Ducks re-take the two goal lead when Josh Manson strikes for his second of the year. Anaheim goes up 4-1 when Hampus Lindholm strikes for his third of the year. Vegas then comes within two once Zach Whitecloud strikes with a power play goal, his third goal of the year. In the third, Mattias Janmark brings the Golden Knights within a goal with his second of the year. Anaheim makes it a 5-3 lead when Jamie Drysdale find the back of the net for his third of the year but Vegas comes within a goal once more when Max Pacioretty scores his third of the year. Isac Lundestrom nets his sixth goal of the year to give the Ducks the two goal lead. Vegas comes within a goal once more when Reilly Smith strikes for his 10th goal of the year but the Ducks escape with the 6-5 win over the Golden Knights.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET
- In Edmonton, the Oilers play host to the Penguins. In the first period, Zach Hyman gets the Oilers on the board first with his 10th goal of the year. The Penguins respond when Jake Guentzel nets his 10th goal of the year to make it a 1-1 game. Edmonton re-takes the lead when Hyman gets his second goal of the night. In the second period, Pittsburgh ties the game once more when Teddy Blueger strikes for his sixth of the year. The Oilers re-take the lead once more when Kailer Yamamoto strikes for his fifth of the season. Evan Bouchard gives the Oilers the 4-2 lead when he finds the back of the net, good for his third of the year. Connor McDavid strikes the game winner, his 15th goal of the season, as the Oilers breeze by the Penguins with the 5-2 win.
- COL v. MON – 7p ET
- STL v. TB – 7p ET
- BUF v. FLA – 7p ET
- CHI v. WAS – 7p ET
- OTT v. CAR – 7p ET
- SJ v. NYI -730p ET
- BOS v. NAS – 8p ET
- NJ v. MIN – 8p ET
- CLB v. DAL – 830p ET
- CAL v. LA – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts Blog: Canadiens commit to foundational change, Olympic optimism dims (SportsNet)
- Penguins Bring Back 90s Look for New Third Uniform (SportsLogos.net)
- Is it Time for the Capitals to Move Carl Hagelin? (S&S)