NHL News and Notes from Thursday, April 22nd, 2021
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Winnipeg Jets – 7p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would play host to the Toronto Maple Leafs. In the first period Mark Scheifele and Andrew Copp would score for the Jets, but goals from Auston Matthews, Wayne Simmonds, and Jason Spezza to give the Leafs the 3-2 lead. In the second period Kyle Connor would score for the Jets, but Mitch Marner’s 15th of the season would keep the Leafs ahead by one. In the third period the Maple Leafs would hold the Jets off the board, and get another goal from Marner to take the 5-3 victory.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. New York Rangers 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would host the Philadelphia Flyers, and on the first period Brendan Smith would strike for the Rangers. Theni n the second period James van Riemsdyk would score to tie the game at one for the Flyers. In the third period van Riemsdyk would net his second of the game and Jakub Voracek would score to give the Flyers the two goal lead, and while Artemi Panarin would strike for the Rangers, the Flyers would hold on for the 3-2 victory.
- Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Boston Bruins would come to town to take on the Sabres, and in the first period Brad Marchand would score to give the B’s the 1-0 lead. In the second period Arttu Ruostsalainen would score for the Sabres to tie the game at one, but Matt Grzelcyk would tally to retake the one goal lead for Boston. In the third period David Pastrnak, Nick Ritchie, and David Krejci would score for the Bruins to take the 5-1 victory.
- Washington Capitals v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- In the Long Island the New York Islanders would play host to the Washington Capitals, and after a scoreless 60 minutes both teams would require overtime to decide a winner. After a scoreless extra five minutes of hockey, this game would require the shootout that would see Evgeny Kuznetsov secure the victory as the Capitals would go on to win 1-0 over the Islanders.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Columbus Blue Jackets would take on the Lightning , and in the first period Seth Jones would score for the Jackets to take the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Blake Coleman would score to tie the game at one for the Bolts. In the third period Ondrej Palat, and Coleman’s second of the game would give the Lightning the 3-1 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- The Florida Panthers would play host to the Carolina Hurricanes, and in the first period Aleksander Barkov would score to give the Panthers the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period goals from Jordan Martinook, Nino Niederreiter, and Sebastian Aho to give the Canes the 3-1 lead. In the third period Barkov would net his second of the game for the Panthers, but Aho would net his second of the game to give the Hurricanes the 4-2 victory.
- New Jersey Devils v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Penguins would host the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Matt Tennyson would score for the Devils, but goals from Sidney Crosby and Cody Ceci would give the Pens the 2-1 lead. In the second period Bryan Rust, Kasperi Kapanen, and Teddy Blueger would score to give the Pens the 5-1 victory.
- Dallas Stars v. Detroit Red Wings – 7:30p ET
- In Detroit the Dallas Stars would come to town to take on the Red Wings. In the first period Jakub Vrana, Luke Glendening, and Richard Panik would score to give the Wings the 3-0 lead. Then in the second period Radek Faksa and Joe Pavelski would score for the Stars, but Vrana’s second of the game would keep the Wings ahead by two. In the third period Vrana would complete the hat trick and tack on another, and while Denis Gurianov would score for the Stars, the Red Wings would hold on to take the 7-3 victory. Sam Gagner would score the seventh and final goal for the Wings.
- Colorado Avalanche v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues and Colorado Avalanche would do battle and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Jaden Schwartz would score for the Blues, and Brandon Saad would score for the Avs. Then in the second period Andre Burakovsky would score for the Avs to take the 2-1 lead. In the third, Burakovsky nets his second of the night to give Colorado the two goal lead. Jaden Schwartz brings the Blues within a goal but the Avs seal the win with a goal by Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, his seventh, to get the 4-2 win.
- Ottawa Senators v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Senators look to get a great win over the Canucks. In the first Tim Stützle nets his eighth on the season and Drake Batherson nets his 16th as Ottawa takes a 2-0 lead over Vancouver. In the third, Connor Brown seals the win for the Sens with his 17th goal of the year as Ottawa shuts out the Canucks.
- BOS v. BUF – 7p ET
- PHI v. NYR – 7p ET
- NAS v. CHI – 8p ET
- MON v. CAL – 9p ET
- MIN v. LA – 10p ET