NHL News and Notes from April 23rd, 2021
- Toronto Maple Leafs forward Joe Thornton was fined by the NHL Department of Player Safety.
- Thornton was fined $3,017.24 for interference against forward Mathieu Perreault of the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday night.
- Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Boston Bruins would come to town to take on the Sabres, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Steven Kampfer would score for the B’s, and Sam Reinhart would strike to tie the game for the Sabres. In the second period Rasmus Dahlin and Casey Mittelstadt would score to grow the Sabres lead to two. Then in the third period Nick Ritchie, Kevin Miller, and Taylor Hall would score for the B’s, but a pair of goals from Reinhart, and a goal from Arttu Ruotsalainen would give the Sabres the 6-4 victory.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would host the Philadelphia Flyers. In the first period Oskar Lindblom would score for the Flyers, but tallies from Chris Kreider and Pavel Buchnevich would give the Rangers the 2-1 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Alexis Lafreniere and Filip Chytil would score to give the Rangers the 4-1 victory.
- Nashville Predators v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In Chicago with Playoff implications on the line the Blackhawks would look to play spoilers against the Nashville Predators. After a scoreless first period Ryan Johansen and Luke Kunin would score to give the Preds the 2-0 lead. Erik Haula scores his sixth to make it a 3-0 Nashville lead and Chicago finally gets on the board 36 seconds after the Haula goal when Vinnie Hinostroza nets his second goal but Nashville gets the 3-1 win over Chicago.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would host the Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period both team would score a pair of goals as Tyler Toffoli and Joel Armia would score for the Habs, and Dillon Dube and Andrew Mangiapane would score for the Flames to tie the game at two. After a scoreless second period, Sean Monahan nets his 10th and Elias Lindholm nets his 14th as the Flames double up the Habs 4-2.
- Minnesota Wild v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In the City of Angels the Wild look to knock the Kings off. In the first Minnesota gets on the board when Kirill Kaprizov nets his 20th. Los Angeles ties the game when Trevor Moore notches his eighth on the season. In the second, Kaprizov nets his second of the night to give the Wild the 2-1 lead. In the third, Nico Sturm nets his eighth as Minnesota takes the two goal lead. The Kings come within a goal when Anze Kopitar nets his 11th. With 10 seconds left in the contest, Joel Eriksson Ek notches his 15th of the year as the Wild get the 4-2 win over the Kings.
- NJ v. PIT – 12:30p ET
- COL v. STL – 3p ET
- MON v. CAL – 7p ET
- TOR v. WIN – 7p ET
- WAS v. NYI – 7p ET
- CAR v. FLA – 7p ET
- DAL v. DET – 7p ET
- VGK v. ANA – 9p ET
- MIN v. SJ – 9p ET
- OTT v. VAN – 10p ET
- ARI v. LA – 10p ET