NHL News and Notes from Saturday, March 27th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined Arizona Coyotes forward Nick Schmaltz.
- Schmaltz was fined $5000, the max allowed under the CBA, for boarding defenseman Radim Simek of the San Jose Sharks on Friday night.
- The New York Rangers and the Los Angeles Kings made a trade.
- The Kings would acquire forward Brendan Lemieux.
- The Rangers would acquire a 2021 4th Round Pick.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Boston Bruins – 1p ET
- In Boston for one of four early afternoon matinees, the Bruins would host the Buffalo Sabres. In the first period Sam Reinhart would strike on the powerplay to get eh Sabres on the board first. In the second period Matt Grzelcyk would score for the B’s, but Kyle Okposo’s second of the season would keep Buffalo in the lead by one. Then in the third period Nick Ritchie and Craig Smith would score to give the Bruins the 3-2 victory and extending the Sabres losing streak to 17 games.
- New York Rangers v. Philadelphia Flyers – 1p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would host the New York Rangers as they would look to exorcise their demons in the Rangers. In the first period Mika Zibanejad would remain hot with his 7th against the Flyers to give the Rangers the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Nolan Patrick would strike to tie the game at one. Then in the third period Samuel Morin would net his first career NHL goal to give the Flyers the 2-1 win.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Colorado Avalanche – 3p ET
- In Colorado the Avalanche would channel the Quebec Nordiques against the Vegas Golden Knights. In the first period Alec Martinez would strike for the Knights, but tallies from Joonas Donskoi and Devon Toews would give the Avs the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period William Carrier would score to tie the game for the Knights and send the game into overtime. In the extra frame Max Pacioretty would strike to give the Golden Knights the 3-2 victory.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Detroit Red Wings – 3p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would host the Columbus Blue Jackets, and in the first period Adam Erne and Robby Fabbri would score to give the Wings the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Nick Foligno would strike for the Jackets, but in the third period Anthony Mantha would seal the deal for the 3-1 victory for the Red Wings.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would host the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first the Bolts would strike first as they would get goals from Blake Coleman and Pat Maroon to take the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Cedric Paquette, Sebastian Aho, and Martin Necas would score to give the Canes the 3-2 lead. In the third period Mathieu Joseph would score to tie the game, but Necas’ second of the game would give the Hurricanes the 4-3 victory over the Lightning.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Edmonton Oilers would come to town to face off with the Maple Leafs. After a scoreless first period Pierre Engvall would score for the Leafs, but goals from Darnell Nurse, Leon Draisaitl, and Tyson Barrie would give the Oilers the 3-1 lead. In the htird period John Tavares and William Nylander would score to tie the game at three, and then in overtime Auston Matthews would score his 22nd of the season to give the Maple Leafs the 4-3 victory.
- New York Islanders v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Penguins would face the New York Islanders, and in the first period the Pens would get goals from Frederick Gaudreau and Evan Rodrigues to take the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Mathew Barzal would score for the Isles, but a goal from Sidney Crosby, and a pair from Bryan Rust would give the Pens a commanding 5-1 lead. In the third period Anthony Beauvillier and Jordan Eberle would score for the Islanders, but Rust’s third of the night to complete the hat trick would seal the 6-3 victory for the Penguins.
- Nashville Predators v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In the Windy City, the Blackhawks get a bit of good new as they get Kirby Dach back in the lineup from his wrist injury that was sustained in the winter at the World Junior Championships and it would be a big boost for good news to get a win over the Nashville Predators. In the first period, Nashville gets on the board when Ryan Johansen gets his fourth goal on the season. In the second, Rocco Grimaldi gets his eighth goal on the season to give the Preds the 2-0 lead. Chicago gets on the board when Pius Suter nets his 11th goal on the season. Nashville secures the win in the third period when Mikael Granlund nets his eighth goal on the season as Nashville downs the Blackhawks 3-1.
- Florida Panthers v. Dallas Stars – 8p ET
- In Dallas, the Stars look to down the Panthers and in the first period the Panthers take the 1-0 lead when Cater Verhaeghe gets his 13th goal on the season. Dallas goes on to tie the contest when Denis Gurianov gets his sixth goal of the season. Dallas takes the 2-1 lead when John Klingberg gets his sixth goal of the season. Verhaeghe nets his second goal of the night to tie the game for the Panthers. In the second, Verhaeghe seals the hat trick as Florida takes the 3-2 lead. In the third, Dallas ties the game 3-3 when Joel L’Esperance gets his first goal of the season. In the overtime session, Florida gets the 4-3 win with an Aaron Ekblad goal, his 11th on the season.
- San Jose Sharks v. Arizona Coyotes – 10p ET
- In Glendale, The Coyotes look to down the Sharks once again. After a scoreless first, Arizona gets two goals in the second period when Clayton Keller and Phil Kessel score. In the third, Kessel gets his second goal of the night as the Coyotes take the 3-0 lead. The Coyotes seal the win when Phil Kessel secures the hat trick and the Coyotes go on to shutout the Sharks with a 4-0 win.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Calgary Flames – 10p ET
- In the Saddledome, the Flames look to down the Jets. In the first period, Calgary gets two goals when Josh Leivo and Mark Giordano score. In the second, Winnipeg gets a pair of goals when Mason Appleton and Logan Stanley score to tie the game 2-2. In the third, Calgary retakes the lead with goals by Andrew Mangiapane and Sam Bennett.
- NYR v. WAS – 12p ET
- CLB v. DET – 3p ET
- ANA v. STL – 5p ET
- NJ v. BOS – 5:30p ET
- FLA v. DAL – 6p ET
- NSH v. CHI – 8p ET
- OTT v. MON – Postponed