NHL News and Notes from Monday, March 15th, 2021
- The NHL announced that Colorado Avalanche goaltender Philipp Grubauer would be named First Star of the Week.
- Maria Saavedra of UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital would be named the Frontline Worker of the Week.
- Leon Draisaitl (EDM) and Nikolaj Ehlers (WIN) would round out the rest of the Stars of the Week.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Grubauer Leads the Way to Top Honors
- Nashville Predators v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 4p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Lightning would host the Nashville Predators on a rare Monday 4p ET start time. After a scoreless first period the Preds would strike with goals from Eeli Tolvanen, Viktor Arvidsson, and Calle Jarnkrok to take the 3-0 lead. Then in the third period Steven Stamkos would score to get the Bolts ont he board, but a late tally from Mattias Ekholm would give the Predators the 4-1 victory.
- Washington Capitals v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Washington Capitals would finish their road trip against the Sabres, and in the first period Evgeny Kuznetsov would score for the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period the Caps would get goals from Nicklas Backstrom, Richard Panik, and Daniel Sprong to grow their lead to four. In the third period Garnet Hathaway would score, and Alex Ovechkin would net his 717th career NHL goal as the Capitals cruised past the Sabres 6-0 for Vitek Vanecek’s first career NHL shutout.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the Philadelphia Flyers would face the New York Rangers. In the first period James van Riemsdyk and Ivan Provorov would score for the Flyers to take a 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Artemi Panarin, Colin Blackwell, and Julien Gauthier would score for the Rangers to take a 3-2 lead, but Joel Farabee would strike late in the second to tie the game at three. In the third period Kevin Rooney would score for the Rangers, but Claude Giroux’s sixth of the season would tie the game at four and send the game to overtime which would see Jakub Voracek score to give the Flyers the 5-4 victory.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would take on the Chicago Blackhawks , and in the first period both teams would trade goals as Patrick Kane would score for the Blackhawks and Owen Tippett would score for the Panthers. Then in the second period both teams would score two goals each as Philipp Kurashev and Brandon Hagel would tally for Chicago, and Aaron Ekblad and Gustav Forsling would score for the Panthers. In the third period Aleksander Barkov, Carter Varhaeghe, and Alexander wennberg would score to give the Panthers the 6-3 victory.
- Boston Bruins v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Boston Bruins would come to town to face the Penguins, and in the first period Matt Grzelcyk would score for the B’s, but tallies from Evan Rodrigues and Sidney Crosby would give the Pens the 2-1 lead. In the second period Evgeni Malkin would score, and in the third period Jake Guentzel would tally to give the Penguins the 4-1 victory.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Vancouver Canucks would come to town to battle the Senators. In the first period Jayce Hawryluk and Tanner Pearson would score for the canucks to take a 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Josh Norris would score, and a third period tally from Colin White would tie the game at two for the Sens as they force overtime. In the extra frame JT Miller would score the game winner as the Canucks took the 3-2 victory over the Senators.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg, the Canadiens face off against the Jets and in the first period Jesperi Kotkaniemi gets Montreal on the board with this fourth goal of the season. In the second, Josh Anderson gets his 11th goal of the season to give the Habs the 2-0 lead and the Jets get on the board when Kyle Connor gets his 13th goal of the season. With 47 seconds left in the period, Tyler Toffoli scores his 16th goal of the season. In the third, Winnipeg comes within a goal when Kyle Connor gets his second goal of the game and Toffoli gets his second goal of the game, scoring an empty netter to give Montreal the 4-2 win over Winnipeg.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In the Battle of Alberta Part V on the season, Calgary gets on the board first when Dillon Dube nets his seventh goal of the season in the second period. Elias Lindholm makes it a 2-0 Calgary lead. Adam Larsson gets the Oilers on the board when he scores at 9:49. Calgary makes it a 3-1 lead when Andrew Mangiapane gets his ninth goal of the season. Josh Archibald brings the Oilers within a goal again. In the third, Leon Draisaitl ties the game with his 17th goal of the season. Noah Hanifin gives the Flames the 4-3 win when he gets his third goal of the season,
- San Jose Sharks v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas, the Sharks look to stop Vegas and their winning ways. In the first, Vegas gets on the board when Max Pacioretty nets his 14th goal of the season. In the third, Mark Stone scores his 10th goal of the season to give the Golden Knights the 2-0 lead. At 14:29 Timo Meier gets his sixth goal of the season to get the Sharks on the board. Vegas goes on to defeat the Sharks by the score of 2-1.
- St. Louis Blues v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- BUF v. NJ – 7p ET
- NYI v. WAS – 7p ET
- BOS v. PIT – 7p ET
- CAR v. DET – 7:30p ET
- ARI v. MIN – 8p ET
- TB v. DAL – 8:30p ET
- ANA v. COL – 9p ET