NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, March 16th, 2021
- Buffalo Sabres v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey the lowly Buffalo Sabres take on the Devils, and in the first period Yegor Sharangovich would net his sixth of the season to give the Devils the 1-0 lead. In the second period the Sabres would get goals from Tobia Rieder and Jeff Skinner to take a 2-1 lead, but Sami Vatanen would net his first of the season to tie the game at two. In the third period Miles Wood would strike on the powerplay to give the Devils the 3-2 victory.
- New York Islanders v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In Washington the Capitals would host the New York Islanders as both teams would battle for first place in the MassMutal East Division. After a scoreless first period TJ Oshie would score for the Caps, and then Alex Ovechkin would score his 718th career goal to pass Phil Esposito for sixth place in the NHL in goals to give the Caps the 2-0 lead. In the third period the Caps would strike quickly on the powerplay as Nicklas Backstrom would tap it in for his 12th of the season to grow the Caps lead to three, but Oliver Walhstrom would score on the powerplay for the Isles to get on the board. However, the Caps would hold on to take the 3-1 victory.
- Boston Bruins v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Boston Bruins would face the Penguins, and in the first period both teams would trade goals as David Pastrnak would score on the powerplay for the Bruins, and Brandon Tanev would strike for the Pens to tie the game at 1-1. After a scoreless second period, the Bruins would strike as Trent Frederic would net his fourth of the season to give Boston the 2-1 victory over the Penguins.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Detroit Red Wings – 7:30p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would play host to the Carolina Hurricanes, and in the first period both teams would net powerplay goals as Nino Niederreiter would score for the Canes and Adam Erne would net a pair for the Wings to take the 2-1 lead. In the second period Sebastian Aho would score to tie the game at two for the Canes, but Robby Fabbri would score to retake the lead for the Wings. In the third period, Detroit’s Filip Hronek nets his first goal and the Red Wings go on to double up the Hurricanes 4-2.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild would host the Arizona Coyotes, and in the first period Ryan Hartman would score to give the Wild the 1-0 lead. In the third period, Minnesota gets a pair of goals when Mats Zuccarello and Jared Spurgeon score to give the Wild the 3-0 win over the Coyotes.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Dallas Stars – 8:30p ET
- In Dallas the Tampa Lightning would come to town to take on the Stars, and in the first period Brayden Point would net his 11th of the season to give the Bolts the 1-0 lead. In the second, Dallas gets on the board when Miro Heiskanen gets his third goal. Tampa regains the lead when Mathieu Joseph gets his seventh goal of the season. In the third, Steven Stamkos gives the Bolts the 3-1 lead with his 14th goal of the season. Dallas will get a pair of goals when Jamie Benn and Alexander Radulov score to tie the game 3-3. Tampa Bay goes on to win the contest in the shootout when Brayden Point scores in the third round.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Colorado the Anaheim Ducks would breakout their amazing Reverse Retro jerseys as they took on the Avalanche. In the first period it would be a high scoring affair as Andre Burakovsky and Nazem Kadri would score for the Avs, but tallies from Troy Terry, Danton Heinen, Adam Henrique, and Derek Grant would give the Ducks the mighty 4-2 lead. In the second period, Colorado would get two goals when Mikko Rantanen and Nazem Kadri score to tie the game 4-4. In the third, Nathan MacKinnon, Samuel Girard, and Pierre-Edouard Bellemare all score to make it a 7-4 Avs lead. Colorado takes the commanding 8-4 lead when Brandon Saad gets his 10th goal of the season with 75 seconds left in the contest. Colorado goes on to cruise by the Ducks with that score of 8-4.
- VAN v. OTT – 7p ET
- PHI v. NYR – 7:30p ET
- MIN v. WIN – 9p ET
- SJ v. VGK – 10p ET
- STL v. LA – 10p ET
- EDM v. CAL – 10p ET