NHL News and Notes from Thursday, March 11th, 2021
- The St. Louis Blues announced that they have signed goaltender Jordan Binnington to a six year contract.
- The contract is worth $36 million, and carries an AAV of $6 million per season.
- New York Rangers v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Original Six action the Boston Bruins would host the New York Rangers, and in the first forty minutes the Bruins would get goals from David Pastrnak, Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, and Jake DeBrusk to take the 4-0 victory over the Rangers.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres would play host to the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Evgeni Malkin would score for the Pens, and Tage Thompson for the Sabres. Then in the second period Victor Olofsson would score for the Sabres, but tallies from Brandon Tanev and Jake Guentzel would give the Pens the 3-2 lead. In the third period Anthony Angello and Bryan Rust would score to give the Penguins the 5-2 victory over the Sabres.
- New Jersey Devils v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- On Long Island the New Jersey Devils would face off with the New York Islanders, and in the first forty minutes it would be all Isles as they would get goals from Matt Martin, Adam Pelech, Noah Dobson, and Josh Bailey to take a 4-0 lead. Then in the third period the Devils would get goals from Janne Kuokkanen, Mikhail Maltsev, and Jack Hughes to get back into the game, but Brock Nelson’s 11th of the season would secure the 5-3 victory for the Islanders.
- Washington Capitals v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Phialdelphia the Flyers would host the Washington Capitals, and in the first period Alex Ovechkin and Conor Sheary would score for the Caps while Travis Konecny would strike on the powerplay for the Flyers as the Caps took the 2-1 lead into the first intermission. Then in the second period John Carlson and Nic Dowd would score to grow the Caps lead to three, and in the third period goals from Ivan Provorov and Scott Laughton would bring the Flyers back within one, but Dowd’s second of the game would give the Caps the 5-3 victory.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Capitals v. Flyers: Dowd’s Pair Edge Flyers
- Nashville Predators v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would face off with the Nashville Predators, and it would be all Canes as they would get a pair of goals from Morgan Geekie, and tallies from Brock McGinn, Dougie Hamilton, and Martin Necas to take the 5-1 victory. Nick Cousins would score the lone goal for the Preds.
- Florida Panthers v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Florida Panthers would come to town to take on the Blue Jackets in a high scoring affair. After a scoreless first period the Panthers would get a goal from Patric Hornqvist, but a pair of goals from Oliver Bjorkstrand would give the Jackets the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Patrik Laine and Max Domi would strike for the Jackets, but tallies from Ryan Lomberg, Owen Tippett, and Aleksander Barkov would tie the game at four and send the game to overtime for the Panthers. In the extra frame it would be Frank Vatrano with the game winning goal to give the Panthers the 5-4 victory.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- Up north the Toronto Maple Leafs would play host to the Winnipeg Jets, and in the first period Nikolaj Ehlers would strike to give the Jets the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Ehlers would net his second of the game, but Mitch Marner’s tally would get the Leafs on the board as the Jets would hold a one goal lead. In the third period Paul Stastny would score for the Jets, but tallies from William Nylander and Ilya Mikheyev would tie the game at three and send the game to overtime. Less than a minute into the extra frame Auston Matthews would score his 21st of the season to give the Leafs the 4-3 victory over the Jets.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Detroit Red Wings – 7:30p ET
- In the Motor City, the Red Wings look to knock off the defending champs and in the first, Detroti gets on the board when Troy Stecher gets his first goal of the season. Mikhail Sergachev ties the game with his second of the season. Detroit and Tampa exchange goals once more in the period with the Red Wings getting their third goal in the period at 14:56 to take the 3-2 lead. In the second, Luke Glendening and Robby Fabbri both score to take the 5-2 lead. In the third period, Tampa gets a pair of goals when Brayden Point and Ondrej Palat score to bring the Lightning within a goal. Detroit makes it a 6-4 lead and victory over the Lightning when Vladislav Namestnikov gets his fifth goal.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Dallas Stars – 8:30p ET
- In Dallas the Blackhawks take on the Stars. In the first, Chicago gets on the board when Dominik Kubalik gets his 10th goal of the season. In the second, Carl Soderberg gets his fifth goal, Duncan Keith gets his first goal of the season, and Alex DeBrincat gets his 15th goal of the season to give Chicago the commanding 4-0 lead. In the third, Dallas gets on the board when Roope Hintz and John Klingberg both score to cut Chicago’s lead in half but the Blackhawks double up the Stars with the 4-2 win.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In Calgary, the Canadiens look to get over the hump when they face off against the Flames. After a scoreless first period, Josh Leivo gets a pair of goals to give the Flames the 2-0 lead. Midway through the third period, Montreal gets on the board when Corey Perry gets his fifth goal of the season. The Flames go on to double up the Canadiens with the 2-1 win.
- VGK v. STL – 8p ET
- ARI v. MIN – 8p ET
- OTT v. EDM – 9p ET
- LA v. COL – 9p ET
- SJ v. ANA – 10p ET