NHL News and Notes from Friday, March 12th, 2021
- The Toronto Maple Leafs and Columbus Blue Jackets made a trade.
- Toronto acquired goaltender Veini Vehvilainen.
- Columbus acquired defenseman Mikko Lehtonen.
- Lehtonen originally signed with Toronto on May 4th, 2020 to a one year, entry level deal after being sought by several teams once he became available. Columbus was one of the teams pursuing him before he signed with Toronto.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Vegas Golden Knights would take on the Blues, and in the first period the Knights would get goals from Mark Stone and Jonathan Marchessault to take a 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Tomas Nosek would score for the Knights, but goals from Ryan O’Reilly and Vladimir Tarasenko would bring the Blues within one. In the third, Zach Sanford gets his eighth goal of the season and David Perron gets his 11th goal to give the Blues the 4-3 lead. Vegas ties the game when Alec Martinez gets his second goal on the season. Reilly Smith scores in overtime to give Vegas the 5-4 win over the St. Louis Blues.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In St. Paul, the Coyotes look to down the Wild. After a scoreless first and second period, Minnesota gets on the board in the third when Kirill Kaprizov gets his eighth goal of the season at 5:47. Kaprizov gets his second goal of the night at 8:10 to give Minnesota the 2-0 lead, Joonas Brodin scores at 19:01 to give the Wild the commanding 3-0 lead and Kaprizov secures his first NHL hat trick when he scores just 10 seconds later to give Minnesota the 4-0 win over the Coyotes.
- Ottawa Senators v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- North of the border the Ottawa Senators would travel to Edmonton to face the Oilers, and in the first period the Sens would get a goal from Thomas Chabot, but tallies from Connor McDavid and Tyson Barrie would give the Oilers the 2-1 lead. In the second, Brady Tkachuk gets his 10th goal of the season to tie the game 2-2 but then the Oilers regain the lead with Darnell Nurse’s eighth goal of the season. Leon Draisaitl gets his 15th goal of the season to give the Oilers the 4-2 lead. In the third, Tyler Ennis and Gaetan Haas score to give the Oilers the 6-2 lead and win over the Senators.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Denver, the Kings look to cause havoc for the Avalanche. After a scoreless first period, Colorado gets on the board when Mikko Rantanen nets his 13th goal of the season. Colorado takes the 2-0 lead when Nathan MacKinnon gets his sixth goal of the season. The Avs go on to win this contest over the Kings by that 2-0 score.
- San Jose Sharks v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim, the Sharks look to take a bite out of the Ducks and in the first period Tomas Hertl gets his seventh goal of the season to give the Sharks the 1-0 lead. In the second, Evander Kane nets his 10th goal 37 seconds in the period to give San Jose the 2-0 lead. In the third, Erik Karlsson, Timo Meier, Kevin Lebanc and Frederik Handemark all score as the Sharks take the 6-0 lead and win.
- NYR v. BOS – 1p ET
- DAL v. CLB – 5p ET
- MON v. CAL – 7p ET
- PIT v. BUF – 7p ET
- NYI v. NJ – 7p ET
- WAS v. PHI – 7p ET
- NAS v. TB – 7p ET
- CHI v. FLA – 7p ET
- WIN v. TOR – 7p ET
- VGK v. STL – 8p ET
- EDM v. VAN – 10p ET
- SJ v. ANA – 10p ET