NHL News and Notes from Sunday, March 7th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that forward Tom Wilson has been suspended for boarding Boston Bruins defenseman Brandon Carlo on Friday night
- Wilson was suspended seven games for the hit he put on Carlo, and subsequently sent Carlo to the hospital.
- Per the terms of the CBA, Wilson will forfeit $311,781.61.
TXHT Review – Tom Wilson’s Suspension
- DoPS also announced that Edmonton Oilers forward Kailer Yamamoto was fined $3,854.17 for doing a Dangerous Trip to Calgary Flames defenseman Rasmus Andersson on Saturday night.
- The fine is the maximum allowed under the terms of the CBA.
- Buffalo Sabres v. New York Islanders – 12p ET
- In Long Island for the third game in the past six days the New York Islanders would host the Buffalo Sabres, and after a scoreless first period the Isles would open the scoring with goals from Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, and Casey Cizikas to take a 3-0 lead. Then in the third period Jeff Skinner and Colin Miller would score for the Sabres, but Nelson’s second of the game and a tally from Cal Clutterbuck would give the Islanders the 5-2 victory for the third game in a row.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Chicago Blackhawks – 2:30p ET
- In Chicago the Blackhawks would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first period Philipp Kurashev and Mattias Janmark would both score for the Blackhawks to take the two goal lead. Then in the second period Pius Suter would strike to grow Chicago’s lead to three, but a tally from Ondrej Palat would bring the Bolts back within two and kick start their offense as before the second period would be over Yanni Gourde would net a pair and Victor Hedman would score to give the Lightning the 4-3 lead. Then in the third period Alex Killorn and Pat Maroon would score to give the Lightning the 6-3 victory.
- Florida Panthers v. Carolina Hurricanes – 5p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would take on the Florida Panthers, and in the first period Vincent Trocheck would strike to give the Canes the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Nino Niederreiter would net his 11th of the season to grow the Canes lead to two, but MacKenzie Weegar would strike to get the Panthers on the board and bring them back within one. In the third period Mason Marchment would score for the Panthers, but tallies from Sebastian Aho and Warren Foegele would give the Hurricanes the 4-2 victory.
- New Jersey Devils v. Boston Bruins – 5p ET
- In Boston it would take 54 minutes and 37 seconds before a goal was scored as Kyle Palmieri would score late in the third period to give the New Jersey Devils the 1-0 victory over the Bruins.
- Washington Capitals v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would play host to the Washington Capitals, and in the first period Joel Farabee wouldstrike to give the hometown team the 1-0 lead. Then late in the second period Alex Ovechkin and Dmitry Orlov would both score to give the Caps the 2-1 lead. Then early in the third period Nick Jensen would score his first career goal as a Capital to give the Caps the 3-1 victory over the Flyers.
Michael’s TXHT Recap – Jensen’s First as a Cap Sinks Flyers
- New York Rangers v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7:30p ET
- In the Steel City, the Rangers visit the Penguins. In the first, Mika Zibanejad gets his third goal to give the Rangers the 1-0 lead. Pittsburgh then gets three goals, a goal from John Marino his first of the season, Kasperi Kapanen, his sixth, and Sidney Crosby, his eighth, to give the Pens the 3-1 lead. After a scoreless second period, Pittsburgh gets an additional two goals in the third. Evgeni Malkin gets his sixth goal of the season and Zach Aston-Reese gets his fifth goal to give Pittsburgh the 5-1 win over the New York Rangers.
- Nashville Predators v. Dallas Stars – 8p ET
- In Dallas, the Stars look to get their third win in the season series. In the first period, Nashville gets on the board when Mikael Granlund gets his fifth goal of the season. The Preds take the 2-0 lead when Calle Jarnkrok gets his fifth goal. In the second period, Eeli Tolvanen gets his fifth goal to give the Predators the 3-0 lead. In the third period, Dallas gets on the board when Radek Faksa gets his third goal of the season. The Stars come within a goal when Joe Pavelski gets his 12th goal and then Dallas ties the game when Jason Robertson gets his fourth goal. After a scoreless overtime session, Nashville gets the 4-3 win when Roman Josi scores Nashville’s second goal in the shootout.
- Ottawa Senators v. Calgary Flames – 9:30p ET
- In the Saddledome, each team looks to get the third win in the nine game season series. In the first period, Ottawa gets on the board when Connor Brown gets his sixth goal of the season at 13:48. At 15:56, Ryan Dzingel gives the Sens the 2-0 lead with his fourth goal of the season. In the second period, Calgary gets on the board with Mark Giordano’s third goal of the season at 3:41. Ottawa re-takes the two goal lead when Colin White gets his seventh goal at 7:09. In the third, Johnny Gaudreau gets his 11th goal at 3:27 to get the Flames within a goal again. Calgary ties the game at 12:17 when Noah Hanifin gets his second goal of the season. Drake Batherson gets the 4-3 win for the Senators in the fourth round of the shootout and take the fifth out of nine games on the season.
- VGK v. MIN – 8p ET
- STL v. SJ – 9p ET
- OTT v. EDM – 9p ET
- ARI v. COL – 9p ET
- MON v. VAN – 10p ET
- LA v. ANA – 10p ET