NHL News and Notes from Monday, March 1st, 2021
- The NHL has named Andrei Vasilevskiy of the Tampa Bay Lightning as the NHL Star of the Week along with Glenda M. Wright of Tampa General Hospital.
- Patrick Kane (CHI) and Mats Zuccarello (MIN) would round out the rest of the Three Stars of the Week.
NHL Stars of the Week – Vasilevskiy Shuts Out the Week for Top Honors
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would play host to the Carolina Hurricanes, and in the first period the Canes would strike first with a Brett Pesce powerplay tally for the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Frank Vatrano would net his 7th of the season to tie the game at one, and then Eetu Luostarinen would strike to give the Panthers the lead. However, Vincent Trocheck would score to tie the game back up at two and send the game to overtime. Then in the extra frame it would be Martin Necas with the tally two minutes into overtime to give the Hurricanes the 3-2 victory.
- Calgary Flames v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- The Ottawa Senators and Calgary Flames would do battle once again, and after a scoreless first period Milan Lucic would score for the Flames, but a pair of goals from Drake Batherson along with a tally from Artem Anisimov would give the Sens the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Colin White and Evgenii Dadonov would score to give the Senators the 5-1 victory.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would play host to the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period it would be all Canucks as they would get goals from Nate Schmidt, JT Miller, and Nils Hoglander to take a commanding 3-0 lead. In the third period Vancouver seals the win with an Elias Pettersson goal and the Canucks breeze by the Jets with a 4-0 win.
- Minnesota Wild v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas, the Golden Knighs take on the Wild and the scoring is kicked off in the second period when Cody Glass gives Vegas the 1-0 lead. Minnesota makes it a 2-1 lead when Jordan Greenway and Marcus Foligno score. Vegas ties the game with a Max Pacioretty goal. Minnesota makes it a 4-2 game with goals from Nick Bonino and Foligno gets his second goal of the night. In the third period, Nicolas Hague brings the Golden Knights to within a goal and then Vegas ties the game when Alex Tuch ties the game with 42 seconds left in regulation. In overtime, Pacioretty scores his 10th goal as Vegas downs the Minnesota Wild with a 5-4 win.
- St. Louis Blues v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim, the Ducks look to find their winning ways. Isac Lundestrom gets the Ducks on the board. St. Louis ties the contest with a Jordan Kyrou goal. St. Louis scores three in the second period with goals coming from David Perron, Zach Sanford, and Dakota Joshua to take a 4-1 lead. In the third period, Lundestrom gets his second goal of the contest 34 seconds into the period then seals the hat trick at 15:16 as the Ducks trail by one. Sanford gets his second goal of the contest and St. Louis leads 5-3. Ryan Getzlaf brings Anaheim within a goal with his second goal of the season with a minute left in the game and the Blues take the 5-4 win over the Anaheim Ducks.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET
- In Edmonton, Toronto looks to take down Edmonton and in the first period, the Maple Leafs get on the board first with a Zach Hyman goal, his sixth, at 7:19. The Maple Leafs take the 2-0 lead when William Nylander nets his ninth goal of the season at 10:20. Toronto then takes the commanding 3-0 lead when Morgan Rielly gets his third goal of the season at 18:07. After a scoreless second and third period, the Toronto Maple Leafs get the shutout victory over the Edmonton Oilers.
- Colorado Avalanche v. San Jose Sharks -10:30p ET
- In San Jose, the Sharks look to bring down the Avalanche and in the first period Colorado strikes first when Samuel Girard gets his third goal of the season. In the second period, the Avs take the 2-0 lead when Gabriel Landeskog gets his fifth goal of the season. The Sharks get on the board when Radim Simek gets his first goal of the season. San Jose ties the game when Kevin Lebanc gets his fourth goal of the season. In the third period, Rudolfs Balcers gives the Sharks the 3-2 lead with his second goal of the season. San Jose takes the two goal lead when Erik Karlsson gets his first goal of the season. John Leonard gives the Sharks a three goal lead at 10:11. Evander Kane seals the win with his eighth goal of the season as the Sharks take down the Avalanche with a 6-2 win.
- NYI v. NJ – 7p ET
- BUF v. NYR – 7p ET
- PHI v. PIT – 7p ET
- DET v. CLB – 7p ET
- OTT v. MTL – 7p ET
- CAR v. NAS – 8p ET
- VAN v. WIN – 8p ET
- TB v. DAL – 830p ET