NHL News and Notes from Sunday, February 28th, 2021
- Boston Bruins v. New York Rangers – 12p ET
- On NBC for the noon matinee, the New York Rangers would play host to the Boston Bruins. In the first period the B’s would strike as Charlie Coyle and Trent Frederic would both score to give the Bruins the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Charlie McAvoy would strike wo grow the B’s lead to three, but in the third period Colin Blackwell would strike for the Rangers, but Coyle’s second of the game would ice the game for the Bruins as they take the 4-1 victory.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Nashville Predators – 3p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would play host to the Columbus Blue Jackets, and in the first Kevin Stenlund would open the scoring for the Jackets, but a tally from Nick Cousins would tie the game at one. Then the Preds would get a goal from Eeli Tolvanen on the powerplay in the second period, and a third period tally from Erik Haula while shorthanded to give them the 3-1 victory over Columbus.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Buffalo Sabres – 3p ET
- Back in Buffalo the Philadelphia Flyers would take on the Sabres, and all the goals would take place in the second period as the Flyers would get goals from Sean Courturier, Michael Raffl, and James van Riemsdyk to take the 3-0 victory.
- Washington Capitals v. New Jersey Devils – 3p ET
- Back at it for another afternoon matinee in New Jersey, the Washington Capitals would take on the Devils, and in the first period Mikhail Maltsev would open the scoring for the Devils, but Jakub Vrana would score to tie the game at one. Then in the second period Yegor Sharangovich would score for the Devils to retake the one goal lead, but goals from Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin would give the Capitals the 3-2 victory.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. New York Islanders – 5p ET
- The New York Islanders and Pittsburgh Penguins do battle once again this weekend on Long Island, and in the first period it would be a Oliver Wahlstrom powerplay tally to give the Isles the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Jean-Gabriel Pageau would strike on the powerplay to grow the Isles lead to two, and then they would hold down the fort to take the 2-0 victory over the Penguins.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Chicago Blackhawks – 7p ET
- To end the Sunday action, we would end with another Original Six matchup as the Chicago Blackhawks would host the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Sam Gagner would score for Detroit, but goals from Nikita Zadorov and Ryan Carpenter would give the Blackhawks the 2-1 lead. Then after a scoreless second period the Blackhawks would light the Wings up as Pius Suter and Patrick Kane would score alongside Carpenter’s second of the game to take a commanding 5-1 lead, but Evgeny Svechnikov would score for the Wings to bring them back within three. However, the goals would keep on coming for the Blackhawks as Domink Kubalik and Alex DeBrincat would both score to give the Blackhawks the 7-2 victory.
- CAR v. FLA – 7p ET
- CAL v. OTT – 7p ET
- VAN v. WIN – 8p ET
- MIN v. VGK – 10p ET
- STL v. ANA – 10p ET
- TOR v. EDM – 10p ET
- COL v. SJ – 10:30p ET