NHL News and Notes from Saturday, January 30th, 2021
- New Jersey Devils v. Buffalo Sabres – 1p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres would play host to the New Jersey Devils for their weekend series, and after a scoreless first period Eric Staal would score to get the Sabres on the board first, but a tally from Ty Smith on the powerplay would tie the game at one. Then in the third period both teams would trade goals as Tobias Rieder and Victor Olofsson would score for the Sabres and Andreas Johnsson would score his first as a Devil and Janne Kuokkanen would score his first career NHL goal as this game would go to OT tied a three. Then after a scoreless five minutes of overtime, it would be Jack Eichel in the shootout to give the Sabres the 4-3 victory.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- In New York, the Rangers and Penguins continue their long-rivalry. In the first period, the Penguins get on the board first with a goal by Jason Zucker, his second on the season. The Rangers tie the game 1-1 with a goal by Brendan Lemieux. Christopher Tanev gives the Penguins the lead back with 40 seconds left in the first. In the second period, Kevin Rooney will tie the game again for the Rangers. Pittsburgh takes the 3-2 lead with a goal by Kasperi Kapanaen, his second. Chris Kreider makes it a 3-3 game with his third goal. The Rangers take their first lead of the game with an Artemi Panarin PPG. As the contest moves to the third period, Pittsburgh ties the game at 4-4 when Jake Guentzel nets his third goal of the season. In the overtime session, Sidney Crosby scores his fourth goal of the season to give Pittsburgh the 5-4 win over the Rangers.
- New York Islanders v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia, the Islanders and Flyers face off for the first time of the season. In the first period, Jakub Voracek gives the Flyers the 1-0 lead. Philadelphia takes the 2-0 lead with a Kevin Hayes goal. In the second period, the Islanders come within a goal when Jordan Eberle scores his third goal of the season. The Islanders tie the game 2-2 with a Scott Mayfield goal, After no goals are scored in the third period, Philadelphia’s Scott Laughton nets the game winner at 3:16 in the period to give the Philadelphia Flyers the 3-2 win over the New York Islanders.
- Boston Bruins v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In Washington, the Capitals take the 1-0 lead when Nicklas Backstrom scores his fifth goal of the season at 18:06. In the second period, Trevor van Riemsdyk nets his first goal as a Capital to give Washington the 2-0 lead. Washington takes the 3-0 lead with a PPG from Richard Panik, his first goal of the season. Boston gets on the board with a PPG from Nick Ritchie. In the third period, Brad Marchand brings the Bruins within one with his fifth goal of the season. Charlie McAvoy ties the game for the Bruins with his first goal of the season at 19:02. In the overtime frame, Alex Ovechkin scores 28 seconds into the frame as the Capitals defeat the Bruins 4-3.
Kassie’s TXHT Recap – Ovechkin Scores 28 Seconds into Overtime to Defeat Bruins, 4-3
- Dallas Stars v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Raleigh, the Stars and Hurricanes face-off. In the first period, Carolina’s Vincent Trocheck scores two goals to make it a 2-0 Hurricanes lead. In the second period, Andrei Svechnikov scores a power play goal to make it a 3-0 Carolina lead. Ryan Dzingel nets a goal to make it a 4-0 lead for Carolina. In the third period, Joe Palevski nets his fifth goal of the season to give bring the Stars within three. However a Dallas comeback was not in the cards as the Hurricanes hand the Stars their first loss of the season in a 4-1 Carolina victory.
- Nashville Predators v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa, this the first match-up of the season between the Predators and Lightning. In the first period, Nashville takes the 1-0 lead with a Ryan Ellis goal. In the second period, Tyler Johnson scores his first goal of the season to tie the contest 1-1. Callan Foote gives the Lightning the 2-1 lead. Tampa take the two goal lead with a goal by Victor Hedman, his second on the season. Steven Stamkos scores a PPG to give the Lightning the 4-1 lead. In the third period, Mathieu Oliver brings Nashville within two. Viktor Arvidsson scores and brings Nashville within a goal but the comeback falls short as the Lightning defeat the Predators 4-3.
Tim’s TXHT Recap – Lightning Hold on Late to Beat Predators 4-3
- Florida Panthers v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In Detroit, The first match-up of the season between these two teams took place. In the first period, Aleksander Barkov scores a PPG to give the Panthers the 1-0 lead. Anthony Mantha ties the game for the Red Wings. Detroit takes the 2-1 lead with a Tyler Bertuzzi goal. Florida ties the game 2-2 with a Keith Yandle goal. Florida goes on to defeat the Red Wings 3-2 in overtime with a goal by Aleksi Heponiemi, his first on the season.
- Calgary Flames v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal, the Flames and Canadiens play in the second of nine on the season. In the first period, Johnny Gaudreau scores for the Calgary Flames and they take the early 1-0 lead. After penalties plague the Canadiens in the latter part of the second period, the contest shifts to the third period. With 32 seconds remaining in the period, Mikael Granlund scores his second goal of the season as the Calgary Flames hand the Montreal Canadiens their first regulation loss of the season as the Flames down the Canadiens 2-0.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Edmonton Oilers – 7p ET
- In Edmonton, the fourth of nine match-ups between the two squads took place. In the first, Dominik Kahun gives the Oilers the 1-0 lead. Toronto ties the game 1-1 with a goal by William Nylander. Edmonton retakes the lead with a goal by Josh Archibald. In the second period, Connor McDavid scores a power play goal to give the Oilers the 3-1 lead. Auston Matthews to bring Toronto within a goal. Zach Hyman ties the game with a PPG, his second goal of the season. With no goals scored in the third period, Connor McDavid scores his second goal of the night, and the game winner to give the Oilers the 4-3 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In St. Paul, the first match-up of the season between these two teams took place. In the first period, Logan O’Connor gets the Avalanche the 1-0 lead. Minnesota ties the game with a Matt Dumba goal. Colorado take the 2-1 lead with a goal by Joonas Donskoi. As the contest moves to the second period, Mikko Rantanen gives the Avs the 3-1 lead. In the third period, Brandon Saad makes it a 4-1 Colorado lead. J.T. Compher scores to give Colorado the 5-1 lead and eventual win with his PPG.
- St. Louis Blues v. Anaheim Ducks – 9p ET
- In Anaheim, St. Louis strikes 20 seconds into the game to lead 1-0 with a goal from Jordan Kyrou. St. Louis takes the 2-0 lead 37 seconds later with a goal from Zach Sanford. Kyrou makes it a 3-0 St. Louis lead with his second goal of the night. Anaheim gets on the board with a goal from Max Jones, his first of the season. In the second period, David Perron gives the Blues the three goal advantage. In the third period, Kyle Clifford gives the Blues the commanding 5-1 lead over the Ducks. Vince Dunn scores a power play goal as the Blues go on to cruise past the Ducks 6-1.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Winnipeg Jets – 10p ET
- In the final contest of the night in Winnipeg, Vancouver strikes 29 seconds in the period when Brock Boeser scores his seventh goal of the season. Mason Appleton goes on to tie the game with his first goal of the season. Nils Hoglander nets his fourth goal of the season to give the Canucks the 2-1 lead. In the second period, Vancouver takes the 3-1 lead when Zack MacEwen nets his first goal of the season. In the third, Boeser scores his second goal of the night, an empty net goal, as Vancouver defeats the Jets 4-1.
- NJ v. BUF – 1p ET
- DAL v. CAR – 5p ET
- FLA v. DET – 5p ET
- NYI v. PHI – 7p ET
- CLB v. CHI – 7p ET
- COL v. MIN – 8p ET
- STL v. ANA – 8p ET
- OTT v. EDM – 9p ET