Welcome to the TXHT NWHL Weekend Recap for the Weekend of Saturday, December 21st and Sunday, December 22nd, 2019, plus news coming out of the weekend.
Saturday, December 21st, 2019
Game #1 – Minnesota Whitecaps v. Connecticut Whale
- In Connecticut it would be the Allie Thunstrom show as she would score a natural hat trick to lead the Minnesota Whitecaps over the Whale. Amanda Leveille would would stop all 20 shots faced to record the shutout in the 3-0 victory.
Game #2 – Boston Pride v. Buffalo Beauts
- In a tightly contested matchup between the Boston Pride and Buffalo Beauts we would see our first overtime game of the season. In the first period both teams would trade goals as Lexie Laing would score first for the Pride, but 25 seconds Marie-Jo Pelletier would tie the game at one. Then in the second period Taylor Accursi and Sara Bustad (PPG) would score to give the Beauts a two goal lead, but Tori Sullivan would cut the Beauts lead to one late in the period. In the thirs period Mary PArker would tie the game at three to force overtime which would see Jenna Rheault net the overtime winner to complete the comeback in the Pride’s 4-3 victory.
Sunday, December 22nd, 2019
Game #1 – Boston Pride v. Buffalo Beauts
- In the second game of their back to back Tiffany Hsu would make her NWHL debut for the Buffalo Beauts and become the first player from Chinese Taipai (Taiwan) to play in the NWHL, however, the Boston Pride would overwhelm the Beauts. In the first period Jillian Dempsey and Christina Putigna would get the Pride on the board first for the 2-0 lead, but the Beauts would respond with a Corinne Buie powerplay tally to cut the Prides lead to one. However, on a Pride powerplay Dempsey would net her second of the game to retake the two goal lead. Then after a scoreless second period Emily Fluke would score to grow the Pride’s lead to three, and while Iveta Klimasova would score a powerplay goal late in the final minute of the game, it would not be enough as the Pride would go on to win 4-2.
Game #2 – Minnesota Whitecaps v. Connecticut Whale
- In a tightly contested matchup in Connecticut to finish off their weekend series the Whale and Minnesota Whitecaps would only need the first period to determine the winner as Allie Thunstrom would score in the first three minutes of the game for the Whitecaps, but Emma Vlasic would respond later in the period to tie the game at one. However, the deciding goal would come with a little over two minutes left in the period when Haylea Schmid would net the game winner for the Whitecaps to take the 2-1 victory.
Player of the Week
- The NWHL has announced that forward Allie Thunstrom of the Minnesota Whitecaps has been named the VEDA Player of the Week after recording four goals on the weekend. Thunstrom would net the hat trick on Saturday night, and then would record one more goal on Sunday afternoon in the Whitecaps weekend sweep of the Connecticut Whale.
* All Graphics Courtesy of the NWHL.
*Photo of Allie Thunstrom by Bryan Johnson