NHL News and Notes from Friday, May 5th, 2023
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have fined Florida Panthers forward Sam Bennett.
- Bennett was fined $5,000 for cross checking Toronto Maple Leafs forward Michael Bunting.
- The fine is the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- The NHL announced on Thursday the finalists for the Norris Trophy.
- The NHL would announce the finalists for the Jack Adams Award.
- New Jersey Devils v. Carolina Hurricanes – 8p ET – Game 2
- In Carolina the New Jersey Devils would look to bounce back against the Hurricanes, and after a scoreless first period Jesperi Kotkaniemi would score a pair of goals to open the scoring for the Canes, and late in the second period Jordan Staal and Martin Necas would score to give the Canes the 4-0 lead. Then in the third period the Devils would replace Akira Schmid in the net with Vitek Vanecek which would lead to a Miles Wood goal, but goals from Jordan Martinook and Stefan Noesen would give the Hurricanes the dominating 6-1 victory over the Devils to take the 2-0 series lead.
- EDM v. VGK – 7p ET – Game 2
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Sam Bennett’s path to Leafs villain and Panthers difference-maker — ‘this guy is unbelievable’ (The Athletic – $)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: What About Bob? (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.