NHL News and Notes from Thursday, April 6th, 2023
- The NHL Department of Player Safety would dole out a pair of fines.
- New York Rangers defenseman Adam Fox would be fined $5,000 for slashing Tampa Bay Lightning forward Corey Perry.
- Lightning forward Alex Killorn would be fined $5,000 for slashing Rangers goaltender Igor Shesterkin.
- Both incidents took place on Wednesday night, and both fines are the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- In the PHF, Boston Pride defender Kali Flanagan would be named the 2023 PHF Defender of the Year.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In the Garden State, the Devils host the Blue Jackets and in the first Jack Hughes nets his 41st as the Devils take the 1-0 lead. In the second, Tomas Tatar scores his 18th and the Hughes scores his second of the night to put the Devs up 3-0 but then Columbus gets on the board when Joona Luoto nets his first of the year. Then, Timo Meier nets his 39th as New Jersey goes up 4-1. In the third, Erik Haula nets his 12th, Timo Meier nets his second of the night, Damon Severson scores his seventh, and then Ryan Graves ends the night with his eighth goal of the year as the Devils steamroll past the Blue Jackets with the 8-1 win.
- Minnesota Wild v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh, the Penguins welcome the Wild back to the Steel City and in the first Kris Letang scores his 11th of the year to put the Pens up 1-0. In the second, Rickard Rakell nets his 28th to put Pittsburgh up 2-0. In the third, Jason Zucker’s 27th gives the Penguins the 3-0 lead but then Marcus Johansson nets his 17th to get Minnesota on the board. With Jeff Carter’s 13th of the year, it gives the Penguins the 4-1 over the Wild.
- Ottawa Senators v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In South Florida, the Panthers welcome the Senators and in the first Florida gets a pair when Brandon Montour nets his 15th and then Aleksander Barkov nets his 21st. In the second, Barkov nets his second to put the Cats up 3-0 but then Ottawa gets on the board when Claude Giroux nets his 31st of the year. Then, Florida gets four goals when Sam Reinhart hets his 30th, Eetu Luostarinen nets his 17th, Nick Cousins scores his ninth, and then Gustav Forsling strikes with his 13th. In the third, Ottawa’s Ridly Greig nets his second but the Panthers breeze by the Senators for the 7-2 win.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In an Original Six match-up in Boston, the Bruins and Maple Leafs renew their longtime rivalry. After a scoreless first, Toronto takes the 1-0 lead when Sam Lafferty nets his 12th of the year. In the third, Charlie Coyle scores his 14th to tie the game for Boston. In overtime, David Pastrnak’s 57th of the year gives the Bruins the 2-1 win over the Maple Leafs.
- With the point by Toronto, they clinched the second seed in the Atlantic Division and open their first round match-up against the Tampa Bay Lightning with home-ice advantage.
- Washington Capitals v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal, the Canadiens welcome the Capitals and in the first Washington takes the 1-0 lead when Dylan Strome scores his 20th. In the second, Montreal lights the lamp for four goals when Nick Suzuki nets his 24th, Joel Armia scores his fifth, Brandon Gallagher scores his eighth, and Joel Armia gets his second as the Habs take the 4-1 lead. In the third, Nicklas Backstrom nets his seventh to bring the Caps within two but Montreal nets a pair when Joel Armia finishes the hat trick and then Mike Hoffman nets his 14th as the Canadiens roll by the Capitals for the 6-2 win.
- Buffalo Sabres – Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In Detroit, the Red Wings welcome the Sabres back to the Motor City and in the first Buffalo takes the 1-0 lead when Tage Thompson nets his 45th but then Detroit gets a pair when Austin Czarnik gets his third and then Dylan Larkin gets his 32nd. Buffalo then ties it up when Henri Jokiharju gets his second and then the Sabres take the 3-2 lead when Dylan Cozens scores his 30th. In the second, Zemgus Girgensons nets his 10th to but Buffalo up a pair but then Detroit gets a pair to tie it up when Alex Chiasson nets his sixth and Simon Edvinsson gets his second. In the third, Buffalo re-takes the lead once more when Jordan Greenway nets his sixth and then Dylan Cozens nets his second of the contest to make it a 6-4 Buffalo lead. Then, the Red Wings net a pair when Jonatan Berggren scores his 15th and then David Perron nets his 23rd as this becomes a 6-6 tie. In the shootout, Alex Tuch nets the game winner and gives the Sabres the 7-6 win over the Red Wings.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- In Long Island, the Islanders host the Lightning and after a scoreless first, New York gets three when Adam Pelech nets his sixth, Brock Nelson scores his 33rd, and Kyle Palmieri scores his 16th. Then, Tampa Bay gets on the board when Nikita Kucherov scores his 30th but the Isles respond when Ryan Pulock scores his fifth. In the third, New York gets a pair when Simon Holmstrom scores his sixth and then Bo Horvat nets his 38th as the Islanders storm over the Lightning for the 6-1 win.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Music City USA, the Predators host the Hurricanes and in the first Nashville nets a pair when Mark Jankowski scores his sixth and Michael McCarron scores his second. In the third, Dante Fabbro scores his second as the Predators go on to shut out the Hurricanes for the 3-0 win.
- New York Rangers v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis, the Blues host the Rangers and after a scoreless first St. Louis takes the 1-0 lead when Alexey Toropchenko scores his 10th. In the third, New York ties the game with Vladimir Tarasenko’s 18th but the Blues re-take the lead when Tyler Pitlick scores his seventh. Then, Vincent Trocheck nets his 21st to tie the game for the Blueshirts. In overtime, Kasperi Kapanen nets his 15th as the Blues get the 3-2 win over the Rangers.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Dallas Stars – 830p ET
- In Dallas, the Stars host the Flyers and in the first the Stars take the 1-0 lead when Jason Robertson scores his 44th. In the second, Dallas gets a trio of goals when Joe Pavelski nets his 26th, Colin Miller nets his sixth, and Jason Robertson scores his second of the night. Philadelphia then gets on the board with Kevin Hayes 18th of the year. After a scoreless third, the Stars hold on and get the 4-1 win over the Flyers.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Western Canada, the Canucks host the Blackhawks and in the first Andrei Kuzmenko’s 30th puts the Canucks up 1-0. In the second, Vitali Kravtsov scores his fourth to put Vancouver up 2-0. In the third, J.T. Miller’s 30th of the year gives the Canucks the 3-0 win over the Blackhawks.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Sin City, the Golden Knights host the Kings and in the first Vegas scores four when Phil Kessel scores his 14th, Ivan Barbashev scores his 16th, Chandler Stephenson nets his 15th, and Nicolas Roy scores his 14th. In the second, Vegas takes the 5-0 lead when Jonathan Marchessault scores his 27th but then Los Angeles gets a pair when Anze Kopitar gets his 27th and then Vladislav Gavrikov scores his fifth. After a scoreless third, the Golden Knights get the 5-2 win over the Kings.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Seattle Kraken – 1030p ET
- In the Emerald City, the Kraken host the Coyotes and in the first Seattle takes the 1-0 lead when Jared McCann nets his 38th. In the second, Vince Dunn nets his 14th after being awarded an own goal and then Jordan Eberle nets his 19th to put the Kraken up 3-0. Then, Arizona gets on the board when Barrett Hayton nets his 18th to bring the Yotes within two. In the third, Matty Beniers 23rd of the year puts Seattle up 4-1 but then Arizona’s Laurent Dauphin nets his first. However, the Kraken get the 4-2 win over the Coyotes.
- With the win over the Coyotes, the Seattle Kraken head to the 2023 Stanley Cup playoffs
- Colorado Avalanche v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In the Shark Tank, the Avalanche visit the Sharks and in the first San Jose takes the 1-0 with Erik Karlsson’s 23rd but then Colorado ties it up with Mikko Rantanen’s 50th. In the second, Rantanen gets his second of the game and then Nathan MacKinnon scores his 37th to put the Avs up two. Then, Rantanen finishes the hat trick to put Colorado up three put then San Jose comes within a goal when Steven Lorentz nets his ninth. Ben Meyers second of the year then puts the Avs back up three. In the third, Meyers scores his second of the game as the Avalanche gets the 6-2 win over the Sharks.
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Insider Trading: Will upcoming UFAs affect the off-season trade market? (TSN)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.