NHL News and Notes from Sunday, April 2nd, 2023
- The Washington Capitals announced that they have signed goaltender Mitchell Gibson to an amateur tryout agreement.
- Gibson, the Caps 2018 4th Round Pick, is expected to sign his entry level contract at a later date.
- Gibson would backup Darcy Kuemper in the Caps game against the New York Rangers due to Charlie Lindgren being out due to illness.
- New York Rangers v. Washington Capitals – 1p ET
- In the Nation’s Capital, the Capitals host the Rangers in a divisional match-up and in the first period New York gets a pair when K’Andre Miller scores his ninth and then Alexis Lafrenière scores his 16th to give the Blueshirts the 2-0 lead. In the second, Kaapo Kakko scores his 16th to put New York up 3-0 but then Washington gets on the board when Dylan Strome scores his 19th. In the third, Vladimir Tarasenko scores his 17th to give New York the three goal lead once more but then Aliaskei Protas answers with his fourth to bring the Caps within two. Then, Mika Zibanejad’s 39th of the year lifts the Rangers to the 5-2 win over the Capitals.
- Boston Bruins v. St. Louis Blues – 330p ET
- In St. Louis, the Blues host the Bruins and in the first Boston takes the 1-0 lead when Jake DeBrusk scores his 25th. In the second, Boston gets a pair when Tyler Bertuzzi scores his seventh and then Oskar Steen scores his first but then Jordan Kyrou responds with his 35th to get St. Louis on the board. In the third, the Blues score a pair with Tory Krug netting his seventh of the year and then Kyrou gets his second of the game to even the game 3-3. After a scoreless overtime, Charlie Coyle scores the lone goal in the shootout and gives the Bruins the 4-3 win over the Blues.
- New York Islanders v. Carolina Hurricanes – 6p ET
- In Raleigh, the Hurricanes welcome the Islanders and in the first New York gets on the baord when Jean-Gabriel Pageau scores his 13th. In the second, Jesperi Kotkaniemi nets his 15th to tie the contest for Carolina. In the third, Jordan Martinook scores his 12th as the Hurricanes get the 2-1 win over the Islanders.
- Ottawa Senators v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 6p ET
- In Columbus, the Blue Jackets host the Senators and in the first Kent Johnson scores his to put Columbus up 1-0 but Dylan Gambrell nets his third to tie the game for the Sens. Then, Eric Robinson scores his 11th to put the Jackets back up a goal but then Mark Kastelic’s sixth ties the contest. Ottawa then takes the lead with Alex DeBrincat’s 26th of the year. In the third, Boone Jenner scores his 26th to tie the game for the Jackets. In overtime, Kirill Marchenko scores his 21st as the Blue Jackets get the 4-3 win over the Senators.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 6p ET
- In the Steel City where the Penguins celebrate Kris Letang and his 1,000th game, Pittsburgh hosts their cross-state rivals in Philadelphia. In the first, Pittsburgh takes the 2-0 lead when Rickard Rakell nets a pair. In the second, Bryan Rust nets his 19th to put the Penguins up 3-0. In the third, the Flyers get a pair when Nicolas Deslauriers scores his sixth and then Travis Konecny nets his 29th. However, Ryan Poehling scores his seventh as the Penguins get the 4-2 win over the Flyers.
- New Jersey Devils v. Winnipeg Jets – 7p ET
- In Winnipeg, the Jets welcome the Devils and in the first Winnipeg gets a pair of goals when Nikolaj Ehlers scores his 11th and Nino Niederreiter scores his 24th. In the second, Morgan Barron scores his eighth of the year off of a penalty shot and then Kyle Connor nets his 30th as the Jets take the 4-0 lead. In the third, Pierre-Luc Dubois scores his 26th and then Ehlers scores his second of the night to put Winnipeg up 6-0. Nico Hischier gets the Devils on the board with 14 seconds left but the Jets fly by Devils with the 6-1 win.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In an Original Six matchup in Toronto, the Maple Leafs host the Red Wings and in the first Detroit takes the 1-0 lead when Olli Maatta scores his sixth but then Toronto ties it up when Calle Jarnkrok scores his 19th. Detroit then gets a pair when Jonathan Berggren nets his 14th and then Dylan Larkin scores his 29th to put the Red Wings up 3-1. In the third, John Tavares’ 33rd brings the Leafs within a goal but Dylan Larkin scores a pair, thus completing the hat trick, and giving the Red Wings the 5-2 win over the Maple Leafs.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Vancouver Canucks – 8p ET
- In Western Canada, the Canucks host the Kings and in the first the Canucks get on the board when Brock Boeser nets his 17th but then the Kings respond when Alex Iafallo nets his 13th. In the second, Iafallo scores his second of the night and puts Los Angeles up a goal. In the third, Arthur Kaliyev nets his 12th and then Blake Lizotte scores his 11th to give the Kings the 4-1 win over the Canucks.
- With Los Angeles winning this contest, the Kings clinched their spot in the 2023 Stanley Cup playoffs.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Calgary Flames – 8p ET
- In the Saddledome, the Flames host the Ducks and in the first Anaheim gets a pair when Frank Vatrano scores his 19th and Max Comtois scores his ninth. In the second, Calgary gets a trio of goals when Andrew Mangiapane scores his 16th, Nikita Zadorov scores his 10th, and Nick Ritchie scores his 13th but then Anaheim ties it up with Frank Vatrano’s second of the night. Then, Anaheim re-takes the lead when Scott Harrington scores his fourth of the year. In the third, Milan Lucic’s seventh of the year ties the game for Calgary once more and then Michael Stone scores his sixth as the Flames get the 5-4 win over the Ducks.
- VGK v. MIN – 8p ET
- NAS v. DAL – 830p ET
- ARI v. SEA – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- It’s the perfect time for the Maple Leafs to embrace the mystery of Matthew Knies (Toronto Star)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.