NHL News and Notes from Sunday, March 5th, 2023
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Carolina Hurricanes – 3p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first period Andrei Svechnikov and Teuvo Teravainen would score to give the Canes the 2-0 lead. In the second period Teravainen would net his second of the game and Shayne Gostisbehere would score to grow the Canes lead to four. Then in the third period Teravainen would score to complete the hat trick and Jesperi Kotkaniemi would score to give the Hurricanes the 6-0 victory over the Lightning.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Vegas Golden Knights – 6p ET
- In Sin City, the Golden Knights welcome the Canadiens to Vegas for the lone time this season. In the first, Shea Theodore nets his seventh and then Ivan Barbashev scores his 11th to put Vegas up 2-0. In the second, Reilly Smith scores his 21st to put the Golden Knights up 3-0. In the third, Montreal gets on the board when Mike Matheson nets his fifth of the year but Vegas re-takes the three goal lead with Ivan Barbashev’s second of the game. Montreal then nets a pair when Alex Belzile gets his second of the year and then Rafael Harvey-Pinard scores his eighth of the year. However, the Golden Knights escape with the 4-3 win over the Canadiens.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Philadelphia Flyers – 6p ET
- In Philadelphia, the Flyers host the Red Wings and in the first period Detroit takes the 1-0 lead when David Perron scores his 16th of the year. In the second, Philadelphia ties it up when Nicolas Deslauriers scores his fifth and then they take the 2-1 lead when Noah Cates scores his 10th of the year. In the third, Scott Laughton scores his 15th as the Flyers get the 3-1 win over the Red Wings.
- New Jersey Devils v. Arizona Coyotes – 7p ET
- In the Desert, the Coyotes host the Devils. In the first, New Jersey takes the 1-0 lead when Timo Meier nets his 32nd and then Arizona ties it up when Matias Maccelli scores his fifth. The Devs then take the lead again when Jesper Boqvist scores his sixth. In the second, Damon Severson nets his fifth to put New Jersey up two but then Zach Kassian’s second brings Arizona within a goal. Jesper Boqvist then scores his second of the contest to give New Jersey the 4-2 lead. In the third, Arizona nets a pair when Nick Schmaltz scores his 19th and then Jack McBain gets his ninth to make this a 4-4 game. In overtime, Nico Hischier’s 27th of the year gives the Devils the 5-4 win over the Coyotes.
- Seattle Kraken v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In the Mile High City, the Avalanche welcome the Kraken. In the first, Colorado takes the 1-0 lead when Nathan MacKinnon scores his 25th. In the second, Alex Wennberg’s 12th ties the game for Seattle but then the Avs take the lead back with Denis Malgin’s sixth of the year. In the third, Brandon Tanev scores his 13th of the year to make it an even game 2-2. In overtime, Yanni Gourde scores his 10th as the Kraken get the 3-2 win over the Avalanche.
- SJ v. WIN – 730p ET
- EDM v. BUF – 730p ET
- CAL v. DAL – 830p ET
- OTT v. CHI – 9p ET
- NAS v. VAN – 1030p ET
- WAS v. LA – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Wiebe’s World: Cooper holds Bolts to higher standard; will Quick haunt Kings? (SportsNet)
- Capitals’ Sandin may be the Sneakiest Addition of the Trade Deadline (The Hockey News)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.