NHL News and Notes from Thursday, March 2nd, 2023
- The Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings would make a trade.
- The Bruins would acquire forward Tyler Bertuzzi.
- The Red Wings would acquire a conditional 2024 1st Round Pick and a 2025 4th Round Pick.
- The Wings would also retain 50% of Bertuzzi’s salary.
- The Bruins would also announce that they have re-signed forward David Pastrnak.
- Pastrnak would sign an eight year deal worth $90 million.
- The deal carries an AAV of $11.25 million per season.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets and Arizona Coyotes would make a trade.
- The Coyotes would acquire forward Jakub Voracek and a 2023 6th Round Pick.
- The Jackets would acquire goaltender Jon Gillies.
- The Blue Jackets would also make a trade with the Vegas Golden Knights.
- The Knights would acquire goaltender Jonathan Quick.
- The Jackets would acquire goaltender Michael Hutchinson and a 2025 7th Round Pick.
- The Jackets would also retain 50% of Quick’s salary.
- The Edmonton Oilers and Arizona Coyotes would make a trade.
- The Oilers would acquire forward Nick Bjugstad and defenseman Cam Dineen.
- The Coyotes would acquire defenseman Michael Kesselring and a 2023 3rd Round Pick.
- The Coyotes would retain 50% of Bjugstad’s salary.
- The Buffalo Sabres and the Chicago Blackhawks would make a trade.
- The Blackhawks would acquire forward Anders Bjork.
- The Sabres would acquire Future Considerations.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Beantown, the Bruins welcome the Sabres to Boston. After a scoreless first, Dmitry Orlov gets Boston on the board with his sixth of the year and then Jakub Lauko scores his second as Boston takes the 2-0 lead. In the third, Pavel Zacha’s 16th of the year gives ther B’s the 3-0 lead and then David Pastrnak nets his 41st of the year to make it a 4-0 Boston lead. Casey Mittelstadt gets Buffalo on the board with his 10th of the year but Boston scores a trio of goals with Patrice Bergeron, Connor Clifton, and Jakub Lauko all scoring as the Bruins breeze by the Sabres for the 7-1 win.
- Nashville Predators v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In South Florida, the Panthers welcome the Predators to town. In the first, Matt Duchene scores his 19th and then John Leonard scores his first to put the Preds up 2-0. In the second, Brandon Montour nets his 11th of the year. However, after a scoreless third, the Predators go on to down the Panthers and get the 2-1 win.
- Ottawa Senators v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- In New York City, the Rangers welcome the Senators back to the Garden. In the first, Chris Kreider gets the Blueshirts on the board with his 27th of the year. In the second, Ottawa gets a pair when Shane Pinto and Derick Brassard each score. Then, New York responds with a pair of goals when Jacob Trouba and Vladimir Tarasenko score to put the Rangers up 3-2. In the third, the Sens tie it up when Brassard gets his second of the night and then Claude Giroux’s 26th of the year puts Ottawa up for good. Then, Tim Stützle’s 29th of the year lifts the Senators past the Rangers for the 5-3 win.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay, the Penguins visit the Lightning. In the first, Tampa Bay takes the 1-0 lead when Ross Colton nets his 14th. In the second, the Pens get a pair from Jeff Petry to take the 2-1 lead but then the Bolts tie it up when Brayden Point gets his 38th of the year. Then, the Pens re-take the lead after Jason Zucker strikes for his 18th of the year. In the third, Steven Stamkos ties it up with his 27th but then Drew O’Connor’s fifth of the year gives Pittsburgh the 4-3 lead. Then, Victor Hedman’s sixth of the year makes this a 4-4 game at the end of regulation. In overtime, Jason Zucker’s 19th of the year gives the Penguins the 5-4 win over the Lightning.
- Seattle Kraken v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In the Motor City, the Kraken visit the Red Wings for the lone time on the year. In the first, Seattle takes the 1-0 lead when Jared McCann nets his 28th of the year but then the Red Wings tie it up when Ben Chiarot scores his fifth of the year. Then, Seattle gets a pair of goals from Oliver Bjorkstrand and McCann as the Kraken make it a 3-1 lead but then Adam Erne’s seventh of the year brings Detroit within a goal. In the second, Jonatan Berggren’s 12th ties it up for Detroit but then Seattle re-takes the lead with Jaden Schwartz’s 14th of the year. Jake Walman then scores his sixth of the year to make this a 4-4 game at the end of regulation. In overime, Oliver Bjorkstrand scores the game winner as the Kraken get the 5-4 win over the Red Wings.
- Dallas Stars v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In the Windy City, the Blackhawks welcome the Stars to Chicago. In the first, Roope Hintz’s 27th of the year puts Dallas up 1-0 but then Cole Guttman’s third of the year ties it up. Roope Hintz then nets his second of the night to give the Stars the 2-1 lead. In the second, Chicago ties it up with Seth Jones’ seventh of the year. In the third, Dallas gets a trio of goals when Jamie Benn, Esa Lindell, and Roope Hintz all score as the Stars align for the 5-2 win over the Blackhawks.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In the Saddledome, the Flames welcome the Maple Leafs in a Canadian match-up. In the first, Blake Coleman scores his 14th to put the Flames up 1-0. In the second, Mitchell Marner’s 22nd of the year ties it up for Toronto. In the third, Calle Jarnkrok scores his 13th as the Maple Leafs get the 2-1 win over the Flames.
- Minnesota Wild v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Western Canada, the Cancuks welcome the Wild. In the first, Kirill Kaprizov’s 38th of the year puts Minnesota up 1-0 but then Brock Boeser’s 12th of the year ties it up for the Canucks. In the second, Kaprizov’s second of the night lifts the Wild to the 2-1 win over the Canucks.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Los Angeles Kings – 1030p ET
- In Los Angeles, the Kings welcome the Canadiens for the lone time of the year. In the first, Josh Anderson’s 18th of the year puts Montreal up 1-0. In the second, Alex Iafallo’s ninth of the year ties it up for Los Angeles. In the third, the Kings get a pair when Gabriel Vilardi and Anze Kopitar give Los Angeles the 3-1 lead. Then, Denis Gurianov scores his third of the year but the Kings escape as they down the Canadiens for the 3-2 win.
- St. Louis Blues v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In the Shark Tank, San Jose looks to leave St. Louis feeling a little Blue. In the first, San Jose gets a pair when Alexander Barabanov nets his 12th and then Logan Couture scores his 21st. In the second, St. Louis scores four when Colton Parayko, Jordan Kyrou, Logan Brown, and Brayden Schenn score to put the Blues up two. In the third, San Jose comes within a goal when Steven Lorentz nets his sizxth of the year but Tyler Pitlick scores to put St. Louis back up by two. Then, Kasperi Kapanen’s eighth of the year seals the win for St. Louis as the Blues double up the Sharks for the 6-3 win.
- SEA v. CLB – 7p ET
- WIN v. EDM – 9p ET
- CAR v. ARI – 930p ET
- MON v. ANA – 10p ET
- NJ v. VGK – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Bill Guerin (SportsNet)
- Insider Trading: Will Canadian teams still be active ahead of the deadline? (TSN)
- CJ’s NHL Trade Deadline Big Board 5.0: Transaction earthquake thins pool (Chris Johnston)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.