NHL News and Notes from Thursday, February 23rd, 2023
- The Nashville Predators announced that forward Ryan Johansen will miss about 12 weeks.
- Johansen had surgery on his right leg
- The Montreal Canadiens claimed forward Chris Tierney off of waivers from Florida.
- The Washington Capitals, Boston Bruins, and Minnesota Wild would make a trade.
- The Capitals acquired forward Craig Smith.
- The Caps also acquired a 2023 1st Round Pick, 2025 2nd Round Pick, and a 2024 3rd Round Pick.
- The Bruins acquired forward Garnet Hathaway and defenseman Dmitry Orlov from the Capitals.
- The Caps would also retain 50% of Orlov’s salary.
- The Bruins would also acquire forward Andrei Svetlakov from the Wild
- The Wild would retain 25% of Orlov’s salary in exchange for Boston’s 2025 3rd Round Pick.
- The Capitals acquired forward Craig Smith.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In Washington, the Capitals welcome the Ducks to the Nation’s Capital for the lone time on the year. In the first, T.J. Oshie scores his 12th of the year on a Washington power play to take the 1-0 lead. In the second, Isac Lundestrom scores his third of the year to even the score for Anaheim but then Nick Jensen scores his second of the year to give the Capitals the lead once more. Troy Terry’s 14th of the year then ties the game for the Ducks once more. In the third, Jakob Silfverberg nets his seventh of the year to give Anaheim the 3-2 lead and then Derek Grant scores his third of the year as the Ducks get the 4-2 win over the Capitals.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa, the Lightning welcome the Sabres to the Sunshine State. In the first, Tampa takes the 1-0 lead when Steven Stamkos scores his 26th of the year but then Buffalo ties the game when Zemgus Girgensons scores his seventh of the year. In the second, Tage Thompson gets a pair of goals to give the Sabres the 3-1 lead but then Victor Hedman nets his fifth to bring the Bolts within a goal. Buffalo re-takes the two goal lead after Jack Quinn scores his 10th of the year. In the third, Brayden Point brings Tampa within a goal once again but then Tage Thompson completes the hat trick to put Buffalo up by two once again. Tampa ties it up with a pair of goals from Anthony Cirelli, netting his eighth, and then Ross Colton scores his 13th of the year. In overtime, Ilya Lyubushkin scores his first of the year as the Sabres get the 6-5 win over the Lightning.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh, the Oilers visit the Steel City to take on the Penguins. In the first, Pittsburgh takes the 1-0 lead when Kris Letang scores his sixth but then Edmonton gets a pair when Connor McDavid scores his 45th of the year and then Leon Draisaitl scores his 35th of the year. In the second, the Oilers get four goals when Kailer Yamamoto scores his fifth, Devin Shore nets his first, Warren Foegele scores his 10th, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins gets his 28th as the Oilers take the five goal lead. In the third, Connor McDavid gets his second of the night on a successful penalty shot to put Edmonton up 7-1 but then Kris Letang gets his second of the night. However, the Oilers breeze by the Penguins for the 7-2 win.
- Los Angeles Kings v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey, the Devils look to knock the crowns off of the Kings. In the first, Los Angeles gets a pair of goals when Anze Kopitar scores his 20th and then Viktor Arvidsson nets his 17th of the year. In the second, New Jersey gets on the board when Tomas Tatar nets his 13th of the year. In the third, New Jersey ties it up when Dawson Mercer scores his 17th of the year but then Sean Durzi’s seventh of the year put the Kings back up a goal. Then, Nico Hischier’s 24th of the year then ties the game for the Devs once more. In overtime, Dawson Mercer’s second of the night gives the Devils the 4-3 win over the Kings.
- Minnesota Wild v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus, the Blue Jackets welcome the Wild to town. In the first, Minnesota gets on the board when Brandon Duhaime scores his sixth of the year and then Kirill Kaprizov scores his 34th of the year as the Wild get the 2-0 win over the Blue Jackets after a scoreless second and third period.
- New York Rangers v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In Detroit, the Red Wings and Rangers face off in an Original Six match-up. In the first, Detroit gets on the board when Andrew Copp nets his sixth of the year. In the second, New York ties it up when Vincent Trocheck scores his 17th of the year but then Detroit gets a pair when Filip Zadina scores his second of the year and then Michael Rasmussen scores his 10th of the year. In the third, Filip Hronek scores his ninth of the year as the Red Wings get the 4-1 win over the Rangers.
- Vancouver Canucks v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis, the Blues welcome the Canucks to town. In the first, St. Louis takes the 1-0 lead when Alexey Toropchenko scores his fifth. In the second, Tyler Tucker scores his first to put the Blues up 2-0. In the third, J.T. Miller scores his 20th and then Andrei Kuzmenko scores his 27th to tie the game 2-2. In overtime, Elias Pettersson scores his 28th as the Canucks get the 3-2 win over the Blues.
- Calgary Flames v. Vegas Golden Knights – 9p ET
- In Vegas, the Golden Knights welcome the Flames to Sin City. In the first, Calgary takes the 1-0 lead when Jakob Pelletier scores his third. In the second, Calgary takes the 2-0 lead when Jonathan Huberdeau scores his 11th of the year but then Vegas gets on the board when Jack Eichel scores his 19th. Calgary then re-takes the two goal lead with Mikael Backlund’s 14th of the year. In the third, Vegas gets a pair when Zach Whitecloud scores his second and then William Carrier scores his 16th of the year. In overtime, Alex Pietrangelo scores his eighth of the year as the Golden Knights down the Flames 4-3.
- Boston Bruins v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In Seattle, the Kraken welcome the Bruins to the Emerald City. In the first, Matty Beniers scores his 19th to put Seattle on the board but then David Krejci’s 13th of the year evens the score for the Bruins. IN the second, Seattle takes the 2-1 lead when Vince Dunn scores his 10th of the year but then Boston gets a pair when David Pastrnak scores his 42nd and then Brad Marchand nets his 18th to put the B’s up 3-2. Jamie Oleksiak scores his seventh to even the score for the Kraken but then Patrice Bergeron’s 21st of the year puts Boston back up a goal. Yanni Gourde’s ninth of the year then evens the score once again for the Kraken. In the third, Seattle takes the lead off of Jaden Schwartz’s 13th but then Boston ties it up once more when Brandon Carlo scores his third of the year. Then, Jake DeBrusk’s 19th of the of the year gives the Bruins the 6-5 win over the Kraken.
- Nashville Predators v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose, the Sharks welcome the Predators back to the Shark Tank. In the first, Nashville takes the 1-0 lead with Nino Niederreiter’s 17th of the year. In the second, Mikael Granlund’s eighth of the year gives the Preds the 2-0 lead but then San Jose answers when Nico Sturm strikes with his 12th of the year. Granlund then responds with his second of the game to put the Preds back up by two and then Yakov Trenin scores his eighth of the year to give Nashville the 4-1 lead. In the third, Martin Kaut scores his second of the year to bring San Jose within two but then Neiderreiter’s second in the contest puts Nashville up by three. Then, Tommy Novak’s eighth of the year gives the Predators the 6-2 win over the Sharks.
- BUF v. FLA – 7p ET
- MIN v. TOR – 7p ET
- MON v. PHI – 7p ET
- OTT v. CAR – 7p ET
- LA v. NYI – 730p ET
- COL v. WIN – 8p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Sitting Down With Tom Dundon (NHL.com)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.