NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, February 21st, 2023
- The Washington Capitals announced that they have loaned forward Aliaksei Protas to Hershey of the AHL.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Lightning would take on the Anaheim Ducks, and after a scoreless first period Nick Paul, Ross Colton, Anthony Cirelli, and Zach Bogosian would score to give the Bolts the 4-0 lead. Then in the third period Ryan Strome would score for the Ducks, but goals from Brayden Point and Corey Perry would give the Lightning the 6-1 victory over the Ducks.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- Hoping for better luck in their Stadium Series jerseys the Washington Capitals would play host to the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Robert Hagg would score his first as a Wing to give the Wings the 1-0 lead, and afterwards Dylan Larkin would get tossed from the game for cross checking to give the Caps the powerplay. Despite being shorthanded Pius Suter would score to grow the Wings lead to two, but Tom Wilson would score on the powerplay to get the Caps back within one. Then after a scoreless second period Suter would net his second of the game to give the Red Wings the 3-1 victory over the Capitals.
- Montreal Canadiens v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey the Devils would go to battle with the Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period both teams would record a goal as Justin Barron would open the scoring for the Habs while Jesper Bratt would tie the game for the Devils at one. In the second period Johnathan Kovacevic and Nick Suzuki would score for the Habs to take the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Dawson Mercer would score for the Devils, but goals from Rem Pitlick and Mike Matheson would give the Canadiens the 5-2 victory over the Devils.
- St. Louis Blues v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would be riding high from the Stadium Series as they hosted the St. Louis Blues, and in the first period Andrei Svechnikov would record a pair of goals to give the Canes the 2-0 lead. In the second period Justin Faulk would score for the Blues to get on the board and back within one, but Sebastian Aho would score to retake the two goal lead for the Canes. Then in the third period Seth Jarvis would score to give the Hurricanes the 4-1 victory over the Blues.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Buffalo Sabres – 730p ET
- In Buffalo the Toronto Maple Leafs come across the border to take on their rival Sabres, and in the first period Ryan O’Reilly would score his first two goals as a Leaf and John Tavares and Michael Bunting would score to give the Leafs the commanding 4-0 lead. In the second period William Nylander would score to grow the Leafs lead to five. Then in the third period Jack Quinn, Alex Tuch, and Jeff Skinner would score to get the Sabres on the board, but O’Reilly would complete the hat trick to give the Maple Leafs the 6-3 victory over the Sabres.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Montreal the Wild would take on the Los Angeles Kings, and after a scoreless first period Ryan Hartman would score to give the Wild the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Anze Kopitar would score for the Kings, but Hartman would net his second of the game to give the Wild the 2-1 victory over the Kings.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Vancouver Canucks would come to town to take on the Predators, and in the first period Cole Smith would score for the Preds to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Andrei Kuzmenko and Sheldon Dries would score for the Canucks, but goals from Philip Tomasino and Nino Niederreiter would keep the Preds in the lead. Then in the third period Mikael Granlund would score to give the Predators the 4-2 lead, but Conor Garland and Kuzmenko would score for the Canucks to tie the game at four to force overtime. After a scoreless five minutes of extra hockey it would be Matt Duchene with the shootout winner to give the Predators the 504 victory over the Canucks.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In Chicago the Blackhawks would go to the battle with the Vegas Golden Knights, and in the first period Keegan Kolesar would score to give the Knights the 1-0 lead, but Cole Guttman would score to tie the game at one for the Blackhawks. In the second period Jack Eichel would score to give the Knights the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Tyler Johnson would score to tie the game at two for the Blackhawks to force overtime. After a scoreless five minutes of hockey it would be Johnson with the shootout winner to give the Blackhawks the 3-2 victory over the Golden Knights.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton the Philadelphia would continue their Western Canada road trip with a matchup against the Oilers, and in the first period Noah Cates would score to give the Flyers the 1-0 lead, but Tyson Barrie would score to tie the game at one for the Oilers. In the second period Owen Tippett would score to give the Flyers the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Leon Draisaitl would score to tie the game at two and then Connor McDavid would score a pair of goals for the Oilers to defeat the Flyers 4-2.
- WIN v. NYI – 7p ET
- CAL v. ARI – 930p ET
- CHI v. DAL – 930p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Inside Jantelagen, the Swedish mantra of putting team before self (ESPN)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.