NHL News and Notes from Monday, February 20th, 2023
- The NHL announced that Ottawa Senators forward Tim Stutzle was named First Star of the Week.
- Nathan MacKinnon (COL) and Dylan Larkin (DET) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Stutzle’s Huge Week Earns Top Honors
- Anaheim Ducks v. Florida Panthers – 1p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would host their 1993-94 expansion sibling Anaheim Ducks, and in the first period Mason McTavish and Frank Vatrano would score to give the Ducks the 2-0 lead. In the second period Eric Staal and Marc Staal would score to for the Panthers to tie the game at two. Then in the third period Dmitry Kulikov would score for the Ducks and Ryan Lomberg would strike for the Panthers as this game would go to overtime tied at three. In the extra frame Carter Verhaeghe would score to give the Panthers the 4-3 victory over the Ducks.
- Ottawa Senators v. Boston Bruins – 1p ET
- In Boston for a President’s Day matinee the Bruins would play host to the Ottawa Senators, and in the first period Jake Debrusk would open the scoring for the B’s, but Claude Giroux would score with thirty seconds left to tie the game at one for the Sens. In the second period David Pastrnak would score his 40th of the season to give the B’s the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Pastrnak would net his second of the game to give the Bruins the 3-1 victory over the Senators.
- Seattle Kraken v. San Jose Sharks – 4p ET
- In San Jose the Sharks would play host to the Seattle Kraken, and after a scoreless first period Logan Couture, Evgeny Svechnikov, and Noah Gregor would score to give the Sharks the 3-0 lead. Then in the third period Michael Eysimont would score to give the Sharks the 4-0 victory over the Kraken.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Calgary Flames – 4p ET
- In Calgary the Philadelphia Flyers would come to town to take on the Flames, and in the first period Travis Konecny would score to give the Flyers the 1-0 lead. In the second period Mikael Backlund would score for the Flames, but goals from Nicolas Deslauriers and Tony DeAngelo would give the Flyers the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Tyler Toffoli and Andrew Mangiapane would score to tie the game at three for the Flames, but Wade Allison would score for the Flyers to take the 4-3 victory over the Flames.
- New York Islanders v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Penguins would play host to the New York Islanders, and in the first period Jake Guentzel would score to give the Pens the 1-0 lead. In the second period Brock Nelson would score to tie the game at one for the Isles, but Jason Zucker would score to give the Pens the lead back. Then in the third period Bo Horvat and Anders Lee would score and Nelson would net his second of the game to give the Islanders the 4-2 victory over the Penguins.
- Winnipeg Jets v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would take on the visiting Winnipeg Jets, and in the first period Josh Morrissey and Mark Scheifele would score to give the Jets the 2-0 lead. In the second period Kyle Connor would score to grow the Jets lead to three, but Vincent Trocheck would score to get the Rangers on the board, and back within two. Then in the third period Scheifele would net his second of the game to give the Jets the 4-1 victory over the Rangers.
- ANA v. TB – 7p ET
- DET v. WAS – 7p ET
- MON v. NJ – 7p ET
- STL v. CAR – 7p ET
- TOR v. BUF – 730p ET
- LA v. MIN – 8p ET
- VAN v. NAS – 8p ET
- VGK v. CHI – 830p ET
- PHI v. EDM – 9p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Inside the NHL: Latest buzz on Maple Leafs, Patrick Kane, Timo Meier, more (Chris Johnston)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Big Daddy Kane (SportsNet)
- Black players in Capitals history to be honored in song (Color of Hockey)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.