NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, February 14th, 2023
- The Washington Capitals announced that forward Alex Ovechkin will be taking a leave of absence from the team.
- Ovechkin will be away from the team to tend to a family matter and the health of a loved one.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In Washington the Capitals would host the Carolina Hurricanes for a preview matchup before they faceoff in the Stadium Series in Raleigh on Saturday night, and in the first period Brent Burns would open up the scoring for the Canes while TJ Oshie would score to tie the game at one for the Caps. Then in the second period Joe Snively would score for the Caps, but goals from Paul Stastny and Stefan Noesen would score to give the Hurricanes the 3-2 victory over the Capitals.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would play host to the Chicago Blackhawks for an Original Six matchup, and in the first period Justin Barron would score for the Habs to take the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Joel Armia, David Savard, and Christian Dvorak would give the Canadiens the 4-0 victory over the Blackhawks.
- New Jersey Devils v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 730p ET
- In Columbus the New Jersey Devils would come to town to take on the Blue Jackets, and in the first period Yegor Sharangovich would open the scoring for the Devils while Johnny Gaudreau would score for the Jackets to tie the game at one. In the second period Jesper Bratt would score seven seconds into the period for the Devils, but Adam Boqvist would score to tie the game at two for the Jackets. Then in the third period Ryan Graves would score to give the Devils the 3-2 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Ottawa Senators v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- On Long Island the Ottawa Senators would take on the New York Islanders, and after a scoreless first period Ryan Pulock would score for the Isles while Tim Stutzle would score for the Sens to tie the game at one. Then in the third period Brady Tkachuk would score for the Sens, but Brock Nelson would score for the Isles to tie the game at two and force overtime. After a scoreless five minutes of extra hockey it would be Drake Batherson would score the shootout winner to give the Senators the 3-2 victory over the Islanders.
- Florida Panthers v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would take on the Florida Panthers, and in the first period Brayden Schenn would score to give the Blues the 1-0 lead. In the second period Eetu Luostarinen would score for the Panthers, but goals from Schenn and Nick Leddy would give the Blues the 3-1 lead. Then in the second period Carter Verhaeghe would score for the Panthers, but goals from Ryan O’Reilly, Jordan Kyrou, and Ivan Barbashev would give the Blues the 6-2 victory over the Panthers.
- Seattle Kraken v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would go to battle with the Seattle Kraken, and after a scoreless first period Blake Wheeler would score for the Jets, but goals from John Hayden and Jared McCann would give the Kraken the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Pierre-Luc Dubois would score to tie the game at two for the Jets to force overtime. After a scoreless overtime period it would be Dubois in the shootout to give the Jets the 3-2 victory over the Kraken.
- Boston Bruins v. Dallas Stars – 830p ET
- In Dallas the Stars would go to battle with the Boston Bruins, and in the first period Taylor Hall would score for the B’s while Roope Hintz would score for the Stars to tie the game at one. In the second period Jason Robertson would score to give the Stars the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Pavel Zacha would score to tie the game at two for the B’s. In overtime David Pastrnak would strike to give the Bruins the 2-1 victory over the Stars.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Colorado the Tampa Bay Lightning would come to town to take on the Avalanche in a Stanley Cup rematch, and in the first period Artturi Lehkonen would score for the Avs the 1-0 lead. In the second period Nathan MacKinnon would score to grow the Avs lead to two, but Nikita Kucherov would score to get the Bolts on the score and back within one. Then in the third period Anthony Cirelli would score to tie the game at two for the Bolts. However, Denis Malgin would score for the Avs, but Vladislav Namestnikov would score to force overtime for the Bolts. After a scoreless five minutes of extra hockey it would be Steven Stamkos in the shootout to give the Lightning the 4-3 victory over the Avalanche.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose the Sharks would go to battle against the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Rickard Rakell would score to give the Pens the 1-0 lead. In the second period Jake Guentzel would score to grow the Pens lead to two. Then in the third period Timo Meier would score for the Sharks to get on the board, but Guentzel’s second of the game would give the Penguins the 3-1 victory over the Sharks.
- CHI v. TOR – 7p ET
- TB v. ARI – 9p ET
- DET v. EDM – 930p ET
- COL v. MIN – 930p ET
- BUF v. ANA – 10p ET
- NYR v. VAN – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Hollywood star Ryan Reynolds picks Remington Group to co-star in Senators bid (Ottawa Sun)
- Insider Trading: Reynolds picks horse in race to buy Sens; Leafs among suitors for Meier (TSN)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.