NHL News and Notes from Monday, January 23rd, 2023
- The NHL announced Edmonton Oilers forward Zach Hyman as the First Star of the Week.
- Steven Stamkos (TB) and Trevor Zegras (ANA) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Hyman Produces to Earn Top Honor
- Florida Panthers v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- In New York City, the Rangers host the Panthers to Madison Square Garden. In the first, Adam Fox scores his 10th of the year to give the Rangers the 1-0 lead but then Carter Verhaeghe scores his 23rd of the year on a power play to tie the game for the Panthers. Mika Zibanejad then scores one a New York power play for his 21st of the year to put the Rangers up 2-1. In the second, Jimmy Vesey scores his eighth of the year to put the Blueshirts up 3-1. In the third, Alexis Lafrenière scores his sixth of the year to make this a 4-1 New York lead and then Mika Zibanejad nets his second of the game to put New York up by four. Then, Aleksander Barkov scores his 13th of the year to bring Florida within three but Filip Chytil scores his 13th of the year as the Rangers get the 6-2 win over the Panthers.
- New York Islanders v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto, the Maple Leafs play host for the Islanders. In the first, Andres Lee scores his 16th of the year to give New York the 1-0 lead. In the second, William Nylander scores his 25th of the year to tie the contest for Toronto but then Andres Lee scores his second of the night to give the Isles the one goal lead once more. John Tavares then scores a power play goal,. his 21st goal of the year, to tie the game for Toronto once more and then Calle Jarnkrok nets his 11th to give the Leafs the 3-2 lead. Then, William Nylander scores his second of the night to put Toronto up by two. In the third, Auston Matthews scores his 25th of the year as the Maple Leafs get the 5-2 win over the Islanders.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Dallas Stars – 830p ET
- In Dallas, the Stars welcome the Sabres back to the Lone Star State. In the first, Jamie Benn scores his 19th of the year but then Rasmus Dahlin scores hsi 14th to even the score 1-1. After a scoreless second, Victor Olfosson’s 22nd of the year gives the Sabres the 2-1 lead but then Jason Robertson’s 32nd of the year evens the score for Dallas. In overtime, Owen Power scores his first of the year as the Sabres down the Stars 3-2.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Calgary Flames – 930p ET
- In the Saddledome, the Flames welcome the Blue Jackets. In the first, Walker Duehr scores his second of the year to give the Flames the 1-0 lead. In the second, Nazem Kadri’s 19th of the year puts Calgary up 2-0 but the Blue Jackets get a pair of goals when Kirill Marchenko scores his 10th and then Patrik Laine scores his 14th, both on the power play. Andrew Mangiapane’s 10th of the year gives Calgary the lead once more. In the third, Boone Jenner nets his 13th of the year as the Blue Jackets even the score 3-3. In overtime, Dillon Dube nets his 12th of the year as the Flames escape with the 4-3 win over the Blue Jackets.
- BOS v. MON – 7p ET
- FLA v. PIT – 7p ET
- LA v. PHI – 7p ET
- MIN v. TB – 7p ET
- SJ v. DET – 7p ET
- VGK v. NJ – 730p ET
- BUF v. STL – 8p ET
- WIN v. NAS – 8p ET
- ANA v. ARI – 9p ET
- WAS v. COL – 9p ET
- CHI v. VAN – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Indigenous players honored with Upper Deck cards (Color of Hockey)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Goodbye, Gabby (SportsNet)
- Ovechkin Chasing Gretzky: Assisting Ovi on goals is an art (AP)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.