NHL News and Notes from Thursday, January 19th, 2023
- The NHL announced that Florida Panthers head coach Paul Maurice has been fined.
- Maurice was fined $25,000 for comments about the officiating against Toronto on Tuesday.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets host the Ducks. In the first, Columbus gets a trio of goals when Mathieu Olivier nets his third, Jack Roslovic scores his fourth, and Nick Blankenburg scores his third to give the Jackets the 3-0 lead. In the second, Anaheim also nets three goals when Adam Henrique scores his 16th, Cam Fowler scores his fifth, and Simon Benoit scores his second to even the score. In the third, Anaheim takes the 4-3 lead when Trevor Zegras scores his 15th of the year and then Max Jones scores his third of the year as the Ducks come from behind and score five unanswered goals to get the 5-3 win over the Blue Jackets.
- Boston Bruins v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- In an Original Six match-up in New York, the Rangers host the Bruins. In the first, Boston takes the 1-0 lead when Pavel Zacha nets his eighth of the year. In the second, Patrice Bergeron scores his 17th of the year to put Boston up 2-0. In the third, Connor Clifton scores his fourth of the year to put Boston up 3-0 but then Ben Harpur scores his first of to put New York on the board. However, the Bruins survive and get the 3-1 win over the Rangers.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia, the Flyers welcome the Blackhawks to Broad Street. In the first, Philadelphia gets the 1-0 board. In the second, Chicago ties the game up when Jonathan Toews nets his 13th of the year and then Reese Johnson scores his third to give the Blackhawks the 2-1 lead. In the third, Tyler Johnson scores his fifth to make it a 3-1 Chicago lead and then Philipp Kurashev scores his seventh of the year as the Blackhawks get the 4-1 win over the Flyers.
- Florida Panthers v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal, the Canadiens host the Panthers. After a scoreless first, Florida scores five goals when Sam Reinhart scores his 14th of the year on a power play, Sam Bennett nets 11th on a power play, Matthew Tkachuk nets his 23rd on the power play, Givani Smith scores his first of the year, and then Matthew Tkachuk nets his second of the night with another power play goal. In the third, Rem Pitlick puts the Habs on the board with his second of the year and then Josh Anderson scores his 13th of the year to bring Motnreal within three. However, Ryan Lomberg’s sixth of the year gives the Panthers the 6-2 win over the Canadiens.
- Minnesota Wild v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Raleigh, the Hurricanes welcome the Wild for their lone visit on the year. After a scoreless first, Kirill Kaprizov scores his 26th of the year on the power play to give Minnesota the 1-0 lead but then Brent Burns nets hsi seventh of the year to tie the game for Carolina. Then, Brady Skjei’s 10th of the year on a Canes power play gives the Canes the 2-1 lead and then Teuvo Teravainen’s fourth of the year gives Carolina the 3-1 lead with a shorthanded goal. In the third, Jalen Chatfield’s fifth of the year gives the Canes the three goal lead and then Martin Necas’ 18th of the year on a power play gives Carolina the four goal lead. Matt Boldy’s 13th of the year brings Minnesota within three but the Hurricanes get a key win as they down the Wild 5-2.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto, the Maple Leafs host the Jets. After a scoreless first, Auston Matthews scores a pair of goals to give the Leafs the 2-0 lead and then Mitchell Marner’s 17th of the year, a shorthanded goal, gives Toronto the 3-0 lead. In the third, Kyle Connor scores his 20th of the year gets the Jets on the board but then Mark Giordano’s second of the year gives the Maple Leafs the 4-1 win over the Jets.
- New York Islanders v. Buffalo Sabres – 730p ET
- In Buffalo on a night where Ryan Miller has his number raised to the rafters, the Sabres host the Islanders. In the first, Brock Nelson’s 16th of the year gives New York the 1-0 lead. In the second, Alex Tuch’s 22nd of the year ties the game for Buffalo but then Matt Martin’s fifth of the year gives the Isles the lead once more. In the third, Victor Olfosson’s 19th of the year ties the game for the Sabres. In the overtime session, Dylan Cozens 15th of the year gives the Sabres the 3-2 win over the Islanders.
- Nashville Predators v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis, the Blues host their rivals in the Predators. After a scoreless first, Brayden Schenn’s 11th of the year puts St. Louis up 1-0 but then Colton Sissons’ seventh of the year ties it up for Nashville. Then, Brandon Saad’s 14th of the year gives St. Louis the 2-1 lead and then Jordan Kyrou nets his 21st of the year on the power play gives the Blues the 3-1 lead. In the third, Robert Thomas’ 12th of the year gives St. Louis the three goal lead and then Alexey Toropchenko’s third of the year puts the Blues up by four. Mattias Ekholm then scores his fifth of the year for Nashville but the Blues escape with the 5-2 win over the Predators.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton, the Oilers host the Lightning for the lone time on the year. In the first, Edmonton gets a pair of goals when Ryan McLeod nets his seventh and then Leon Draisaitl nets his 27th of the year to put the Oilers up 2-0. In the second, Tampa Bay gets on the board when Brandon Hagel nets his 18th of the year but then Zach Hyman answers with his 22nd of the year to put Edmonton up 3-1. The Bolts then respond when Steven Stamkos nets his 22nd and then Brayden Point scores his 27th to tie the game 3-3. In the third, Connor McDavid scores his 39th of the year to give Edmonton the 4-3 lead and then Zach Hyman scores his second of the night to give the Oilers the 5-3 win over the Lightning.
- Washington Capitals v. Arizona Coyotes – 9p ET
- In Tempe, the Coyotes welcome the Capitals to their new home at Arizona State. In the first, Dylan Strome nets his 10th of the year to put Washington up 1-0. In the second, Sonny Milano scores his eighth and then Tom Wilson scores his second of the year on the power play to put the Caps up 3-0. In the third, Dylan Strome scores his second of the night as the Capitals shutout the Coyotes for the 4-0 win.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas, the Golden Knights welcome the Red Wings to Sin City. In the first, Lucas Raymond’s 14th of the year puts Detroit up 1-0 but then Vegas ties it up when Alex Pietrangelo scores his fifth of the year. In the second, Dominik Kubalik scores his 14th of the year and then Joe Veleno scores his sixth to put Detroit up 3-1. In the third, Vegas’ William Karlsson scores his 10th of the year but the Red Wings escape with the 3-2 win over the Golden Knights.
- New Jersey Devils v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In the Emerald City, the Kraken welcome the Devils. In the first, Seattle takes the 1-0 lead when Ryan Donato scores his ninth of the year. In the second, Donato scores his second of the night to put Seattle up 2-0 but then Damon Severson scores his fourth of the year to put the Devils on the board. In the third, Erik Haula’s fourth of the year ties the game for the Devs but then Brandon Tanev’s ninth of the year gives the Kraken the lead once more. New Jersey’s Nico Hischier’s 21st of the year then ties it up 3-3. In overtime, Andre Burakovsky scores the game winner with his 13th as the Kraken get the 4-3 win over the Devils.
- Dallas Stars v. Los Angeles Kings – 1030p ET
- In Tinseltown, the Stars drop by to take on the Kings. In the first, Tyler Seguin scores a pair of goals and then Esa Lindell scores his sixth to give the Stars the 3-0 lead. In the second, Jason Robertson nets his 31st of the year as the Stars shutout the Kings for the 4-0 win.
- OTT v. PIT – 7p ET
- COL v. VAN – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- On Philadelphia Flyers Pride Night, Ivan Provorov sparked division and embarrassment (The Athletic – $)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.