NHL News and Notes from Monday, December 19th, 2022
- The NHL announced that Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin has been named First Star of the Week.
- Tage Thompson (BUF) and Mats Zuccarello (MIN) would around out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Ovi’s 800th Earns Top Honors
- The Toronto Maple Leafs and Colorado Avalanche made a trade.
- The Leafs acquired forward Dryden Hunt.
- The Avs acquired forward Denis Malgin.
- The Edmonton Oilers announced that they have re-signed goaltender Stuart Skinner.
- Skinner signed a three year deal that comes with an AAV of 2.6 million per season.
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have suspended San Jose Sharks forward Tomas Hertl.
- Hertl was suspended for two games for high sticking Calgary Flames forward Elias Lindholm on Sunday night.
- Hertl will forfeit $87,972.98 based on his average annual salary per the terms of the CBA.
- The Detroit Red Wings would be involved in a three team trade with the Anaheim Ducks and Florida Panthers.
- The Panthers would acquire forward Givani Smith from Detroit for defenseman Michael Del Zotto.
- The Ducks would then acquire Del Zotto from Detroit.
- The Red Wings would acquire Danny O’Regan from Anaheim.
- Dallas Stars v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus, the Blue Jackets would host the Stars. After a scoreless first, Wyatt Johnston’s eighth of the year gives Dallas the 1-0 lead in the second period. In the third, Jason Robertson scores an empty net goal late in the period to give Dallas the 2-0 lead and then Kent Johnson scores a goal, his seventh, to put Columbus on the board but it will not enough as the Stars escape with the 2-1 win over the Blue Jackets.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In the Nation’s Capital, Washington hosts Detroit for what hopes to be a historic evening. In the first, Detroit gets a pair of goals when David Perron scores his 10th and then Oskar Sundqvist nets his fifth on a power play to give the Red Wings the 2-0 lead. In the second, Washington evens the score when Nic Dowd scores a pair of goals. In the third, Detroit’s Lucas Raymond scores his eighth of the year to give the Wings the one goal lead back but then Washington’s Erik Gustafsson scores his fourth of the season to tie the game. In overtime with 22 seconds left, Washington’s Dmitry Orlov nets his second of the year as the Capitals get the 4-3 win over the Red Wings.
- Florida Panthers v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Boston, the Bruins host the Panthers in a divisional match-up. In the first, Boston gets a trio of goals when Connor Clifton, Brandon Carlo, and Charlie Coyle all score. In the second, David Pastrnak scores his 21st of the year on a Boston power play to give the B’s the 4-0 lead. Florida then gets a trio of goals when Sam Reinhart, Eric Staal, and Carter Verhaeghe all get on the scoresheet to bring the Panthers within a goal. David Krejci then scores his 10th of the year to make this a 5-3 Bruins lead. In the third, Patrice Bergeron scores a pair of goals as the Bruins breeze by the Panthers for the 7-3 win.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Music City, the Predators and the Oilers face off. In the first, Nashville takes the 1-0 lead when Mattias Ekholm scores his second of the year but then Edmonton ties it up when Jesse Puljujarvi scores his second of the year. In the second, Nashville’s Jordan Gross scores his third to give the Preds the 2-1 lead but then Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 16th of the year ties it up for the Oilers once again. Matt Duchene’s eighth of the year gives Nashville the one goal lead once again. In the third, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scores his second of the night as Edmonton ties it up for the third time in the contest. In overtime, Alexandre Carrier’s second of the year gives the Predators the 4-3 win over the Oilers.
- New York Islanders v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In the Mile High City, the Avalanche host the Islanders. This contest would go scoreless for 65 minutes and in the shootout, Evan Rodrigues scores the lone goal in the shootout session as the Avalanche get the 1-0 win over the Islanders.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Sin City, the Golden Knights play host to the Sabres. After a scoreless first, Buffalo gets a trio of goals in the second when Jeff Skinner, Tage Thompson, and Lawrence Pilut all score. In the third, Vegas gets a pair of goals when Chandler Stephenson scores his eighth and then Reilly Smith nets his 17th of the year but the Vegas comeback is not enough as the Sabres eek out the 3-2 win over the Golden Knights.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Arizona Coyotes – 10p ET
- In Arizona, the Canadiens visit the Coyotes for the lone time on the season. After a scoreless first, Montreal gets on the board when Cole Caufield scores his 19th of the year and then Arizona ties it up when Nick Schmaltz scores his fifth of the year. Montreal then re-takes the lead when Christian Dvorak scores his seventh of the year but then Arizona ties it up once more when Matias Maccelli scores his third on the season. After a scoreless third, Mike Hoffman scores his seventh in overtime as the Canadiens down the Coyotes 3-2.
- St. Louis Blues v. Vancouver Canucks – 1030p ET
- In Vancouver, the Canucks take on the Blues. After a scoreless first, Jordan Kyrou scores his 14th of the year to give St. Louis the 1-0 lead but then Ilya Mikheyev scores his 10th of the year to tie it up for Vancouver. St. Louis then gets a pair of goals when Nathan Walker and Robert Thomas score to give the Blues the two goal lead. In the third, Jordan Kyrou scores a pair of goals to complete the hat trick and give the Blues the 5-1 win over the Canucks.
- CLB v. PHI – 7p ET
- NYR v. PIT – 7p ET
- NJ v. CAR – 7p ET
- TB v. TOR – 7p ET
- OTT v. WIN – 8p ET
- STL v. SEA – 10p ET
- ANA v. LA – 1030p ET
- CAL v. SJ – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Matthews inspired by having Fitzhugh as broadcast mentor (Color of Hockey)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Untouchable (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.