NHL News and Notes from Monday, November 21st, 2022
- The NHL announced that Pittsburgh Penguins forward Sidney Crosby has been named First Star of the Week.
- Pavel Buchnevich (STL) and Martin Jones (SEA) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Crosby’s Production Earns Top Honors
- Boston Bruins v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay, the Lightning host the Bruins in a key divisional matchup. In the first period, Tampa Bay takes the 1-0 lead when Nicholas Paul scores his seventh goal of the season but then Boston ties it up with David Krejci’s sixth of the year. In the second, Nick Foligno scores his fourth of the year on a Bruins power play, Charlie Coyle scores his sixth of the year, and then Brad Marchand scores his sixth of the yera to give the Bruins the 4-1 lead. In the third, David Pastrank scores on the power play, good for this 12th of the year to give the B’s the four goal lead but then the Bolts get a pair of goals when Rudolfs Balcers scores his third and then Nicholas Paul scores his second of the night on a Lightning power play but the Bruins escape with the 5-3 win over the Lightning.
- Calgary Flames v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In the City of Brotherly Love, the Flames make their annual visit to Philadelphia to take on the Flyers. In the first, Calgary takes the 1-0 lead when Jonathan Huberdeau strikes with his third of the year and then the Flames make it a 2-0 lead when Dillon Dube scores his second of the year. Philadelphia then gets on the board when Tanner Laczynski scores his first career NHL goal. In the second, Calgary re-takes the two goal lead when Rasmus Andersson nets his second of the year. In the third, Philadelphia comes within a goal once more when Joel Farabee strikes with his fourth of the year. Calgary then gets two empty net goals from Blake Coleman, scoring his third of the year, and Trevor Lewis, scoring his fourth, to give the Flames the 5-2 win over the Flyers.
- Edmonton Oilers v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey, the Devils look to extend the win streak to 13. In the first, Jesper Bratt’s eighth of the year, on a power play, puts New Jersey up 1-0. Edmonton then strikes with a power play goal when Leon Draisaitl nets his 11th of the year to tie the game. In the second, Dawson Mercer scores his fifth of the year to put the Devils up 2-1 and then Damon Severson strikes with his second to make it a 3-1 Devs lead. In the third, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins finds the net with his ninth to bring the Oilers within a goal but then Tomas Tatar’s fourth of the year puts New Jersey up by two once more. Yegor Sharangovich’s sixth of the year gives the Devils the 5-2 win over the Oilers and the Devils extend their win streak to 13, tying the franchise record.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Winnipeg Jets – 730p ET
- In Winnipeg, the Jets look to stop Hurricane damage. In the first, Winnipeg takes the 1-0 lead with Pierre-Luc Dubois’ eighth of the year. In the second, Michael Eyssimont’s first career NHL goal gives the Jets the 2-0 lead. In the third, Josh Morrissey’s second of the year gives the Jets the 3-0 lead. Carolina then gets a trio of goals when Jaccob Slavin scores his first of the year, Andrei Svechnikov scores his 13th of the year, and then Martin Necas nets his ninth of the year to make this a 3-3 game. In overtime, Josh Morrissey’s second of the contest gives the Jets the 4-3 win over the Hurricanes.
- New York Islanders v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 730p ET
- In the Six, the Islanders make the visit to Toronto to face off against the Maple Leafs. In the first, Noah Dobson’s sixth of the year makes this a 1-0 New York lead. In the second, a John Tavares power play goal, his 11th goal of the year, ties the game for Toronto and then Auston Matthews ninth of the year gives the Leafs the 2-1 lead. In the third, Josh Bailey’s fourth of the year ties the contest for the Isles. In overtime, Anthony Beauvillier’s fourth of the year gives the Islanders the 3-2 win over the Maple Leafs.
- Anaheim Ducks v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In the Lou, the Ducks visit the Blues. In the first, Noel Acciari’s fourth of the year makes this a 1-0 St. Louis lead but then Cam Fowler’s second of the year ties the game for the Ducks. In the third, Justin Faulk’s power play goal, his fourth of the year, gives St. Louis the 2-1 lead and then an empty net by Noel Acciari, his second goal of the night, gives the Blues the 3-1 win over the Ducks.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Music City, the Coyotes look to get the win over the Preds. In the first, Mikael Granlund’s power play goal, his second goal of the year, gives Nashville the 1-0 lead. In the second, Lawson Crouse scores his seventh to tie the game and then Nick Bjugstad’s second of the year gives the Yotes the 2-1 lead. In the third, Roman Josi’s power play goal, his fourth goal of the year, ties the game for the Preds and then Matt Duchene’s fifth of the year gives Nashville the 3-2 lead. Nick Bjugstad’s second of the night, a shorthanded goal, ties this contest 3-3. Cody Glass’ goal in Nashville’s seventh round of the shootout lifts the Predators to the 4-3 win over the Coyotes.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Dallas Stars – 830p ET
- In the Lone Star State, the Avalanche make a trip to Dallas to take on the Stars. In the first, a power play goal by Cale Makar gives the Avalanche the 1-0 lead. In the second, Dallas ties the contest when Jason Robertson scores his 13th of the year. In the third, Colorado re-takes the lead when Alex Newhook scores his fourth of the year but then Jason Robertson scores his second of the night. In the shootout, Mikko Rantanen scores the lone goal of the shootout to give the Avalanche the 3-2 win over the Stars.
- Ottawa Senators v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose, the Sharks host the Senators for the lone time on the season. In the first, Noah Gregor’s first of the year gives San Jose the 1-0 lead but then Tim Stützle scores his seventh of the year to tie the game for Ottawa. In the second, Timo Meier’s ninth of the year gives the Sharks the 2-1 lead and then Matt Benning’s second of the year gives San Jose the two goal lead. A power play goal by Tomas Hertl, good for his 5th goal of the season, gives the Sharks the 4-1 lead. Late into the third, Logan Couture’s 10th goal of the season, on an Ottawa empty net, gives the Sharks the 5-1 win over the Senators.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Vancouver Canucks – 1030p ET
- In Western Canada, the Canucks host the Golden Knights in a Pacific Division match-up. After a scoreless first, Vancouver takes the 1-0 lead when Andrei Kuzmenko scores his eighth goal of the year but then Mark Stone’s eighth goal of the year ties the game for Vegas and then William Carrier’s fifth of the year gives the Golden Knights the 2-1 lead. In the third, Bo Horvat’s 15th of the year ties it up for the ‘Nucks, Luke Schenn’s second of the year gives the Canucks the 3-2 lead, and then Elias Pettersson’s 10th of the year makes this a 4-2 Canucks lead. William Carrier’s second goal of the night brings Vegas within a goal and then Reilly Smith’s 10th of the year ties the contest for Vegas. Alex Pietrangelo then scores his third goal of the season as the Golden Knights complete the comeback and get the 5-4 win over the Canucks.
- BUF v. MON – 7p ET
- NYR v. LA – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Doing The Wright Thing (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.