NHL News and Notes from Friday, October 21st, 2022
- The Florida Panthers signed forward Eric Staal to a one year deal.
- The deal is worth $750,000.
- Tampa Bay v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- Renewing the Battle of Florida after facing off in the 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Florida Panthers would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first period Steven Stamkos would strike on the powerplay to give the Bolts the 1-0 lead, but Matthew Tkachuk would strike a little over two minutes later to tie the game at one for the Panthers. In the second period Rudolfs Balcers would score to give the Panthers the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Brayden Point would strike to tie the game at two for the Bolts to force overtime. In the extra frame Point would net his second of the game to give the Lightning the 3-2 overtime victory over the Panthers.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In an Original Six matchup of two teams with similar Reverse Retro jerseys the Chicago Blackhawks would host the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Pius Suter and Dylan Larkin would strike to give the Wings the 2-0 lead. In the second period Andreas Athanasiou would net his first as a Blackhawk to get them on the board and back within one, but the former Blackhawk Dominik Kubalik would score to regain the two goal lead for the Wings. then in the third period Philipp Kurashev and Connor Murphy would both net their first of the season to tie the game at three for the Blackhawks to send the game to overtime. In the extra frame it would be Max Domi with the winner to complete the comeback victory as the Blackhawks would defeat the Red Wings 4-3.
- Seattle Kraken v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Colorado Andre Burakovsky and the Seattle Kraken would come to town to take on the Avalanche, and after a scoreless first period Jaden Schwartz and Jared McCann would score to give the Kraken the 2-0 lead, but Evan Rodrigues would net his first as an Av to get them back within one. Then in the third period Bowen Byram would score for the Avs to tie the game at two, but Karson Kuhlman would score his first of the season to give the Kraken the 3-2 victory over the Avalanche.
- MIN v. BOS – 1p ET
- SJ v. NJ – 1p ET
- STL v. EDM – 4p ET
- ARI v. OTT – 4p ET
- TOR v. WIN – 7p ET
- DAL v. MON – 7p ET
- LA v. WAS – 7p ET
- NYI v. TB – 7p ET
- PIT v. CLB – 7p ET
- PHI v. NAS – 8p ET
- BUF v. VAN – 10p ET
- COL v. VGK – 10p ET
- CAR v. CAL – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Poile relied on loyalty, love of family to reach 3,000 games as NHL GM (NHL.com)
- Banner night vs. Caps: Senators’ post-Melnyk plan results in massive change, on and off the ice (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.