NHL News and Notes from Thursday, May 26th, 2022
- New York Rangers v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET – Game 5
- In Raleigh, both teams look to take the 3-2 series lead. In the first, Carolina takes the 1-0 lead on a shorthanded goal from Vincent Trocheck, his fourth of the year, but then the Rangers tie it up when Mika Zibanejad nets his sixth goal of the year on the power play. In the second, Carolina re-takes the lead when Teuvo Teravainen nets his fourth of the year. In the third, the Canes seal the win with Andrei Svechnikov’s fourth of the year as the Hurricanes down the Rangers 3-1 to take the 3-2 series lead.
- Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Canes Win, Look to Eliminate Rangers
- Edmonton Oilers v. Calgary Flames – 930p ET – Game 5
- In Game 5 of the Battle of Alberta, the Oilers look to get the series win, while the Flames look to extend their season for at least one more night. In the first, Calgary takes the 1-0 lead when Andrew Mangiapane scores his third of the postseason. In the second, Mikael Backlund gives the Flames the 2-0 lead but then the Oilers notch a pair of goals when Darnell Nurse and Jesse Puljujarvi each scores their second goals of the postseason. Edmonton then takes the 3-2 lead when Zach Hyman scores his eighth of the playoffs on the power play but then Calgary gets a pair of goals when Johnny Gaudreau scores his third of the postseason and then Calle Jarnkrok nets his first of the playoffs to give Calgary the 4-3 lead. Edmonton then ties it up 4-4 when Evan Bouchard strikes with his third of the postseason. It was noted that during the time period between Hyman and Bouchard’s goals, it was the fastest turn around of four goals in Stanley Cup playoff history with those goals all scored within 1 minute and 11 seconds. In the overtime frame, Connor McDavid scores his seventh of the postseason to give the Oilers the 5-4 win and send Edmonton to the Western Conference Final for the first time since 2006.
- Dickson’s TXHT Game Recap – McDavid OT Winner Sends Oilers to West Final
- COL v. STL – 8p ET – Game 6
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Why Edmonton Oilers goalie Mike Smith is the most fascinating player in the 2022 Stanley Cup playoffs (ESPN – $)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.