NHL News and Notes from Friday, May 20th, 2022
- The Columbus Blue Jackets re-signed netminder Joonas Korpisalo.
- Korpisalo signed a one year deal with an AAV of $1.3 million.
- The Dallas Stars announced that head coach Rick Bowness would not be returning to the team.
- Bowness elected to step away from being head coach.
- Assistant coaches John Stevens, Derek Laxdal, and Todd Nelson will also not be returning to the Stars.
- New York Rangers v. Carolina Hurricanes – 8p ET – Game 2
- In Raleigh, the Hurricanes look to take the 2-0 series lead, while the Rangers look to tie the series at a game a piece. After a scoreless first period, Carolina takes the 1-0 lead when Brendan Smith scores his first playoff goal of this postseason. In the third, Sebastian Aho scores a late empty net goal, his fourth goal of the postseason, as the Hurricanes shutout the Rangers 2-0 to take the 2-0 series lead.
- Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Carolina Extends Series Lead to Two
- Edmonton Oilers v. Calgary Flames – 1030p ET – Game 2
- In the Saddledome, the Flames look to have another dominating victory while the Oilers look to tie the series up. In the first, Calgary takes the 1-0 lead when Michael Stone scores his second goal of the postseason and then Brett Ritchie also scores his second of the playoffs to give the Flames the 2-0 lead. Edmonton then gets on the board when Duncan Keith strikes for his first goal of the postseason. In the second, the Flames re-take the two goal lead after Tyler Toffoli scores a power play goal, his second goal of the postseason, but then Edmonton ties the contest when Connor McDavid and Evan Bouchard score their sixth and second goals of the playoffs, respectively. In the third, Edmonton takes the 4-3 lead when Zach Hyman scores his fifth of the postseason and then Leon Draisaitl scores the game winner with his seventh of the playoffs as the Oilers down the Flames 5-3 to tie ths series at a game a piece.
- COL v. STL – 8p ET – Game 3
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Blood, Sweat & Stitches: The Tampa Bay Story (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.