NHL News and Notes from Sunday, May 15th, 2022
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced a pair of fines stemming from Game 7 between the Boston Bruins and Carolina Hurricanes.
- Bruins defenseman Charlie McAvoy would get fined $5,000 for tripping Hurricanes defenseman Brady Skjei.
- Hurricanes defenseman Brendan Smith would get fined $2,000 for elbowing Bruins forward David Pastrnak.
- Both fines would be the maximum allowed per the CBA.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. New York Rangers – 7p ET – Game 7
- At Madison Square Garden for Game 7 the New York Rangers look for their third consecutive win to complete the comeback against the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Chris Kreider would score for the Rangers and Danton Heinen would strike for the Pens for the 1-1 tie. In the second period K’Andre Miller would score for the Rangers, but goals from Jake Guentzel and Evan Rodrigues would score to give the Pens the 3-2 lead. Then in the third period Mika Zibanejad would strike to tie the game at three and force overtime for the Rangers. In the extra frame Artemi Panarin would strike less than five minutes in to give the Rangers the 4-3 victory and advance to the second round to face the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Shaggy’s TXHT Recap – Rangers Complete Series Come Back
- Dallas Stars v. Calgary Flames – 930p ET – Game 7
- In Calgary for Game 7 the Flames and Dallas Stars would do battle for the last time, and in the first period Jamie Benn would open the scoring for the Stars to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Vladislav Namestnikov would score for the Stars, but goals from Tyler Toffoli and Matthew Tkachuk would tie the game at two for the Flames. Then after a scoreless third period with less than five minutes left in overtime it would be Johnny Gaudreau with the winner to give teh Flames the 3-2 victory over the Stars and move on to the second round to faceoff with the Edmonton Oilers.
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Patrice Bergeron’s future becomes the present as Bruins’ season ends (The Athletic – $)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.