NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, May 11th, 2022
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have fined Edmonton Oilers forward Zack Kassian.
- Kassian was fined $5,000, maximum allowed per the CBA, for cross checking Los Angeles Kings defenseman Sean Durzi during Game 5 on Tuesday night.
- DoPS also suspended Oilers defenseman Darnell Nurse.
- Nurse was suspended for one game for head butting Kings forward Phillip Danault during Game 5 on Tuesday night.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. New York Rangers – 7p ET – Game 5
- In New York the Rangers look to extend their season and force a Game 6 as they take on the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Jake Guentzel would score to give the Pens the 1-0 lead. In the second period Kris Letang and Guentzel would score for the Pens, but goals from Adam Fox, Alexis Lafreniere, and Jacob Trouba would tie the game at three for the Rangers. Then in the third period Filip Chytil and Ryan Lindgren would strike to give the Rangers the 5-3 victory over the Penguins to force Game 6 on Friday night.
- Shaggy’s TXHT Recap – Rangers Stave Off Elimination
- Washington Capitals v. Florida Panthers – 730p ET – Game 5
- In Florida for Game 5 the Panthers and Washington Capitals look to take the 3-2 series lead, and in the first period TJ Oshie would score to give the Caps the 1-0 lead. In the second period Justin Schultz and Oshie would score for the Caps to take a 3-0 lead, but goals from Carter Verhaeghe, Patric Hornqvist, and Sam Reinhart would tie the game at three for the Panthers. Then in the third period Verhaeghe would net his second of the game and Claude Giroux would score to give the Panthers the 5-3 victory and the 3-2 series lead over the Capitals.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Verhaeghe’s 5 Points Give Panthers Series Lead
- Dallas Stars v. Calgary Flames – 930p ET – Game 5
- In Calgary the Flames and Dallas Stars would do battle to see who would take Game 5 for the 3-2 series lead, and after a scoreless first period Jason Robertson would score to give the Stars the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Mikael Backlund, Andrew Mangiapane, and Trevor Lewis would score to give the Flames the 3-1 victory over the Stars to take the 3-2 series lead.
- CAR v. BOS – 7p ET – Game 6
- TOR v. TB – 730p ET – Game 6
- MIN v. STL – 930p ET – Game 6
- EDM v. LA – 10p ET – Game 6
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: How Do You Sleep After That? (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.