NHL News and Notes from Monday, May 9th, 2022
- The New York Islanders relieved Barry Trotz as head coach.
- Florida Panthers v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET – Game 4
- In the Nation’s Capital, Washington looks to earn the 3-1 series lead while Florida looks to even the series 2-2. In the first period, T.J. Oshie scores a power play goal, his third of the postseason, to give Washington the 1-0 lead but then Florida ties the contest when Carter Verhaeghe scores his second of the postseason. In the third, Washington re-takes the lead when Evgeny Kuznetsov scores his second of the postseason but the Panthers tie the game when Sam Reinhart nets his first of the postseason. In overtime, Carter Verhaeghe scores his second of the night as the Panthers get the 3-2 win over the Capitals to tie the series 2-2.
- Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Panthers Even Up Series With Caps in OT
- New York Rangers v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET – Game 4
- In the Steel City, the Penguins look to take the 3-1 series lead while the Rangers look to tie the series 2-2. In the first period, the Rangers take the 1-0 lead when Alex Lafreniere scores his first goal of the postseason but then the Penguins tie the contest when Sidney Crosby scores a power play goal, his second of the postseason to tie the game. In the second, Pittsburgh takes the 2-1 lead when Mike Matheson nets his first goal of the postseason and then they take the two goal lead when Jake Guentzel nets his fifth of the season. The Penguins make it a three goal lead when Mark Friedman nets his first career NHL postseason goal but the Rangers respond when Adam Fox scores his second postseason goal to bring the Blueshirts within two. Pittsburgh then re-takes the three goal lead when Danton Heinen nets his second of the postseason and then Jeff Carter gives the Penguins the 6-2 lead with his third of the playoffs. In the third, Evgeni Malkin slams the door on the game when he strikes with his second of the playoffs as the Penguins dominate the Rangers 7-2 and take the 3-1 series lead.
- Dickson’s TXHT Game Recap – Penguins Dominate Rangers 7-2
- Colorado Avalanche v. Nashville Predators – 930p ET – Game 4
- In Music City USA, the Avalanche look to sweep the series while the Predators look to extend their series at least one more game. In the first period, Colorado takes the 1-0 lead when Andre Burakovsky scores his first of the postseason but then Nashville ties the game when Yakov Trenin scores his second of the playoffs. In the second, the Avs re-take the lead when Cale Makar scores his third of the playoffs but then the Preds tie the game once more when Yakov Trenin scores his second of the night. In the third period, Nashville takes the lead when Filip Forsberg scores his first of playoffs but Colorado ties the game when Devon Toews nets his third of of the playoffs. Colorado then nets a pair of goals when Valeri Nichushkin scores his second and Nathan MacKinnon hits then empty net as the Avalanche win 5-3 and advance to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
- Calgary Flames v. Dallas Stars – 930p ET – Game 4
- In Dallas, the Stars look to take the 3-1 series lead while the Flames look to make it a 2-2 series tie. Following a scoreless first period, the Flames take the 1-0 lead in the second period when Rasmus Andersson scores his first of the postseason. In the third period, Calgary takes the 2-0 lead when Johnny Gaudreau scores on a penalty shot for his first goal of the postseason and then the Flames take the 3-0 lead when Elias Lindholm scores his third of the playoffs. Dallas then gets on the board when Tyler Seguin nets his first of the postseason with a power play goal but the Calgary seals the win after Mikael backlund hits the empty net, his first goal of the playoffs, to give the Flames the 4-1 win and tie the series 2-2.
- BOS v. CAR – 7p ET – Game 5
- TB v. TOR – 730p ET – Game 5
- STL v. MIN – 930p ET – Game 5
- LA v. EDM – 10p ET – Game 5
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Fukufuji continuing to grow game in Japan (Color of Hockey)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: A Shocker From The Island (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.