NHL News and Notes from Friday, May 6th, 2022
- The Pittsburgh Penguins announced that goaltender Casey DeSmith had surgery.
- DeSmith had core muscle surgery, and will miss the remainder of the playoffs.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET – Game 3
- In Boston the Bruins look to prevent the Carolina Hurricanes from going up three games to none, and in the first period Vincent Trocheck would open the scoring for the Canes, but a shorthanded tally from Charlie Coyle would tie the game at one. In the second period Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak would score to give the B’s the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Jaccob Slavin would score for the Canes, but Taylor Hall would score to give the Bruins the 4-2 victory over the Hurricanes to earn their first win of the series.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Bruins Powerplay Slays Canes
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 730p ET – Game 3
- In Tampa Bay the Lightning would play host to the Toronto Maple Leafs in a pivotal Game 3, and in the first period Morgan Reilly and Colin Blackwell would score to give the Leafs the 2-0 lead. In the second period Ross Colton would score for the bolts, but David Kampf would score to keep the Leafs ahead by two. Then in the third period Ondrej Palat would score for the Bolts, but Ilya Mikheyev would score a pair of goals to give the Maple Leafs the 5-2 victory over the Lightning to take the 2-1 series lead.
- Shaggy’s TXHT Recap – Leafs Win Important Game 3
- Minnesota Wild v. St. Louis Blues – 930p ET – Game 3
- In St. Louis the Blues and Minnesota Wild would do battle to earn the 2-1 series lead, and in the first period Jordan Greenway and Kirill Kaprizov would score in the opening minutes of the period to give the Wild the 2-0 lead. In the second period Mats Zucarello would score to grow the Wild’s lead to three. Then in the third period Ryan O’Reilly would score for the Blues, but goals from Joel Erksson Ek and Jonas Brodin would give the Wild the 5-1 victory over the Blues for the 2-1 series lead.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET – Game 3
- In Los Angeles the Kings and Edmonton Oilers would go to battle in Game 3 of their first round series, and in the first period Leon Draisaitl and Zach Hyman would score to give the Oilers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Anze Kopitar and Phillip Danault would score for the Kings, but a pair of goals from Evander Kane and Hyman’s second of the game would give the Oilers the 5-2 lead. Then in the third period Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would net a pair of goals and Kane would score to complete the hat trick to give the Oilers the 8-2 victory over the Kings to take the 2-1 series lead.
- FLA v. WAS – 1p ET – Game 3
- COL v. NAS – 430p ET – Game 3
- NYR v. PIT – 7p ET – Game 3
- CAL v. DAL – 930p ET – Game 3
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Capitals Drop Game 2 to Panthers, Come Home With Split (The Hockey Writers)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Ingram Steals The Show (But Avs Take The W) (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.