NHL News and Notes from Friday, April 22nd, 2022
- Montreal Canadiens legend and Hockey Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur passed away on Friday.
- The NHL Department of Player Safety doled out a pair of fines to Toronto Maple Leafs forwards Kyle Clifford and Wayne Simmonds.
- Clifford was fined $2,500 for high sticking Tampa Bay Lightning forward Corey Perry.
- Simmonds was fined $2,250 for charging Lightning defenseman Mikhail Sergachev.
- Both incidents took place on Thursday night, and both fines are the maximum allowed per the CBA.
- With their victory over Colorado, the Edmonton Oilers clinched a berth into the 2022 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
- Ottawa Senators v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would play host to the Ottawa Senators, and in the first period Jack Roslovic would strike to give the Jackets the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Brady Tkachuk would score to tie the game at one and send the game to overtime for the Sens. After a scoreless extra five minutes of hockey it would be Tim Stutzle to give the Senators the 2-1 shootout victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Seattle Kraken v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild would take on the Seattle Kraken, and in the first period Joel Eriksson Ek would score for the Wild, but goals from Daniel Sprong and Yanni Gourde would give the Kraken the 2-1 lead. In the second period Eriksson Ek would net his second of the game and goals from Kirill Kaprizov, Ryan Hartman, Mats Zuccarello, and Nicolas Deslauriers would give the Wild the 6-2 lead. Then in the third period Matty Beniers would score for the Kraken, but the Wild would hold on for the 6-3 victory over the Kraken.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would look to punch their ticket to the playoffs as they host the Colorado Avalanche, and in the first period Valeri Nichushkin would score to give the Avs the 1-0 lead. In the second period Nichushkin would net his second of the game for the Avs, but Evander Kane would record a hat trick and a tally from Evan Bouchard would give the Oilers the 4-2 lead. Then in the third period Nathan MacKinnon would score for the Avs, but goals from Kailer Yamamoto and Kris Russell would give the Oilers the 6-3 victory over the Avalanche.
- Washington Capitals v. Arizona Coyotes – 1030p ET
- In Arizona the Coyotes would hos the Washington Capitals, and in the first period Conor Sheary would score to give the Caps the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period John Carlson would get the empty netter with 36 seconds left in regulation to give the Capitals the 2-0 victory over the Coyotes.
- NYI v. BUF – 1230p ET
- PIT v. DET – 1230p ET
- CAR v. NJ – 1230p ET
- NYR v. BOS – 3p ET
- MON v. OTT – 7p ET
- NAS v. TB – 7p ET
- TOR v. FLA – 7p ET
- CHI v. SJ – 8p ET
- SEA v. DAL – 8p ET
- STL v. ARI – 10p ET
- VAN v. CAL – 10p ET
- ANA v. LA – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Lafleur dies at 70, five-time Cup champion with Canadiens (NHL.com)
- Guy Lafleur passes away at the age of 70 (Montreal Canadiens)
- Montreal Canadiens legend Guy Lafleur dies at 70 (Montreal Gazette)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.